SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Triton Trailers....grrrr!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Triton Trailers....grrrr! Login/Join 
posted
So, 10 years ago, I bought a Triton Aluminum trailer...a 10ft model to haul, my ATV and to transport my Zero turn from one of my properties to another.

It has been a great trailer, zero issues.
We bought a UTV a few years ago and we just cannot put both our off road vehicles on the shorter trailer. Our compact utility tractor is too long and heavy for the trailer also.
Well we ordered a longer more heavy duty Triton trailer.
We got it a week or so ago and took it and put it in our pole barn. We got a plate a few days ago. We want to take our ATV and UTV to the national forest this weekend.
Loaded the trailer up and brought it to our house and took them off to wash them. When I tried to put the jack down to remove the 18 ft trailer from my truck, the jack will not come down. I called the dealer, he called the distributor and it seems I have to take it to the distributor(90miles) and let them take it off or take it off and take it in. He then would need to send it in and see if Triton is going to warranty it???? The second time I put the jack down, it does not work and may not be covered?
So, I think I have a dealer or distributor problem and call Triton in Wisconsin. Woman tells me that they are not equipped to help customers with their problems. I have to go to a dealer. She said try a different dealer and see if he has that model of jack in stock.
Gee, I got my first trailer in 1977 and have never had a jack problem with ANY of the numerous trailer jacks I have had. So, what dealer is going to stock that part, when the distributor does not?
I am only upset because of the attitude I got when I called the company direct, and about the policy that I have to send the jack in and have them say it is under warranty before they will send a new one without paying for it first.

I could have bought a Rance trailer or several other brands for about half what I paid for the Triton.
Now, that I have the trailer nobody cares.

I am sorry about the length of this, but my blood is boiling.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Does the manufacturer and/or dealer have a social media presence, such a Facebook?

I've found that posting a complaint on social media chaps their hide and creates response and action.

Put your issue in public view. It works.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
'Jack will not go down'? Does it not 'swing down', or do you crank & it doesn't extend? Can you even crank the handle?

Can we spend some time troubleshooting the issue? I have a Triton Trailer, it's been pretty good.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Does the manufacturer and/or dealer have a social media presence, such a Facebook?

I've found that posting a complaint on social media chaps their hide and creates response and action.

Put your issue in public view. It works.

This....

Sadly sometimes it takes a public shaming to get the right people to take notice

Good luck to you.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
You can honestly tell them that you know someone who is going to be purchasing a new utility trailer in the next 3-6 months and will now be sure to avoid Triton.

Thanks for the heads up!

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I fool around with a variety of trailers. It seems that the hand crank type jacks are all poorly made, flimsy for the task and are essentially disposable.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will have to look at a facebook page.

The jack cranks down. I tried to crank it and it cranked really hard for a few turns and the thing was not going down. After a few turns, it cranked real easy but did not go down.

I took it apart at the top and there was a gear on the handle and a lower gear in there. The lower gear was just in there, it was not connected to anything, must have broken.

It said made in EU? Europe?
I went and bought another one and could not find any American made.
I put a new one on and it works. Really disappointed that Triton does not care.

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear, sounds like that one was buggered up.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Take the bill for the replacement jack that you bought. Write a cover letter, politely stating that the dealer was no help, here is the cost of repair to the trailer that is under warranty, please reimburse me, and mail it to company HQ. If you can find the name of the President or CEO, so much the better, send it to his / her attention.

It will cost you one postage stamp to do this. They might reimburse you, they might not. But they definitely won't do anything for you if you don't ask.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh.... Cheapie trailer jack war story:
I was attempting to hook an ATV trailer to a truck. The spring loaded pin that locks the jack in the up / down position evidently did not seat properly when the previous tower lowered the jack.
Anyhoo.... the jack folded and the tongue of the trailer scraped all the hide off my shin on the way to the ground! Ouchie! Narrowly missed my crushing my foot.
But wait... theres more! It was not visible to me but the impact of the tongue with the concrete floor cracked it. A short time later, on a Yoop 2 track miles from the pavement, the tongue broke off and I lost the trailer. Only good things were that no one was hurt and it was at a very slow speed. Trailer stayed up right. Had a hell of a time getting it to a shop for repair.
You can bet I now check the damn locking pin for full engagement before I touch the jack!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
You can honestly tell them that you know someone who is going to be purchasing a new utility trailer in the next 3-6 months and will now be sure to avoid Triton.

Thanks for the heads up!

-Rob

I'm looking for an aluminum trailer and Triton was on the list.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Oh.... Cheapie trailer jack war story:
I was attempting to hook an ATV trailer to a truck. The spring loaded pin that locks the jack in the up / down position evidently did not seat properly when the previous tower lowered the jack.
Anyhoo.... the jack folded and the tongue of the trailer scraped all the hide off my shin on the way to the ground! Ouchie! Narrowly missed my crushing my foot.
But wait... theres more! It was not visible to me but the impact of the tongue with the concrete floor cracked it. A short time later, on a Yoop 2 track miles from the pavement, the tongue broke off and I lost the trailer. Only good things were that no one was hurt and it was at a very slow speed. Trailer stayed up right. Had a hell of a time getting it to a shop for repair.
You can bet I now check the damn locking pin for full engagement before I touch the jack!

I feel much better now.

Lots of good ideas here.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
I will have to look at a facebook page.

The jack cranks down. I tried to crank it and it cranked really hard for a few turns and the thing was not going down. After a few turns, it cranked real easy but did not go down.

I took it apart at the top and there was a gear on the handle and a lower gear in there. The lower gear was just in there, it was not connected to anything, must have broken.

It said made in EU? Europe?
I went and bought another one and could not find any American made.
I put a new one on and it works. Really disappointed that Triton does not care.

"EU" could be "Estados Unidos", or United States. Doesn't necessarily mean anything if that's stamped on it-could easily be a chinese made knockoff. Lots of crap from Mexico is.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow arfmel, did not know that.
It feels and looks well made, but it broke.
Will take it back as soon as I get the time.