SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The helplessness you feel with family suffering from depression....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The helplessness you feel with family suffering from depression.... Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
My younger sister (by 2 years) is struggling with depression. Bad.

I learned tonight (from her) that she drinks and cuts herself on the arms....and did so while I was talking to her on the phone tonight.

Her husband is a douche canoe who leaves alcohol lying around the house and then leaves to do "fun stuff" with the kids and leaves her alone.

Other than my wife, I'm not closer to anyone like I am my sister. Spidey senses tell me that this will not end well ....

Not much I can really do about it from this distance but rant a bit.

Thanks for listening....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:

I learned tonight (from her) that she drinks and cuts herself on the arms...and did so while I was talking to her on the phone tonight.

Very sorry about your situation.
But, based on this, she needs to be involuntarily hospitalized. Stat! She's actively suicidal Frown

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Does your sister have or have had an eating disorder?

"Cutting" and eating disorders often happen together and for the same reasons. Substance abuse happens in the mix as well.

Just a quick link with info

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MitchbSC:
Does your sister have or have had an eating disorder?

"Cutting" and eating disorders often happen together and for the same reasons. Substance abuse happens in the mix as well.

Just a quick link with info

Yes Mitch, along with a past of sexual abuse from relatives. She had long put this past her but when she saw some of these fucks at my dad's funeral over the summer it really messed up her head. She's not been this bad in some time.

12131:
Agree about the hospitalization. And she has been in the past...but she's good, man. Like really good and manipulates the docs/nurses to believe we are all over-reacting.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
If she's cutting the scars could help prove to a Dr you aren't over reacting

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Timely post Ronin... I’m not going to hijack your thread with my family members issues, but we’re having to deal with a relative that’s gone OFF the deep end. Said person is a real smooth talker and knows how to play the game. How do you get somebody mental health treatment if they won’t listen or admit they have issues?

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
It seems like there was prior treatment?

Can any of these contacts be renewed?

My sister-in-law spiraled deep into anorexia in the late 90s. Her ex was a manipulator and wife-beater that threw her into anxiety and body image issues. It took an intervention by her parents (my in-laws) to put her into in-patient treatment to halt the anorexia and push the separation/divorce over the goal line. I basically lost my wife into this mess for over a year.

I am out of my depth since there's kids involved in this one. This is a suckfest. You have my empathy and prayers.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
I hope your sister gets the help she needs. Depression sucks, it sucks bad. I said a prayer, I'll say another. Keep talking to her, you're a good brother man.

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who's daughters story reads similar to hers. She's tried to commit suicide twice in the last year. Cutting is a very bad sign. Combined with drinking (higher pain tolerance, lower inhibitions, and thinned blood) I can imagine is a magnitude worse.

Do all you can to try to get her to accept help, or have her involuntarily committed, if possible.

I am no expert, but the red flags are concerning.

Prayers for your sister and family.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Are the kids old enough to know what is going on. I know you said the husband is a douche, but, how could anyone be so unconcerned to not help their spouse?

Sounds like its intervention time.

Prayers said and sent.

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
My wife has been depressed Her entire adult life. Right now She is finishing an 8 week outpatient program. It takes a toll on the family, but professional help does help. Good luck to you, be there for her if she will listen to you.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Really sorry to hear this. I can't imagine the stress you're feeling.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son has suffered from depression for years - two suicide attempts. We went thru a bazillion counselors, psychiatrists, antidepressants - all to no avail. I finally got disgusted with the failures of treatment and took him to Menninger clinic in Houston. Wonderful folks who found a treatment that worked for him. They even do genetic testing to see which drugs are most likely to help. May not work for everyone or even be an option.

Sounds like you are your sister's lifeline. Keep extending her a lifeline and perhaps get her into one of the big players for depression treatment - like Menningers or some other big name place. You are right in that if she doesn't get the correct help this will not end well. God bless you for being there for her - even if you feel helpless, you are her one source of stability at this point!

He Is No Fool Who Gives What He Cannot Keep,
To Gain That Which He Cannot Lose!

Posts: 593 | Location: central nebraska | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

I learned tonight (from her) that she drinks and cuts herself on the arms...and did so while I was talking to her on the phone tonight.

Very sorry about your situation.
But, based on this, she needs to be involuntarily hospitalized. Stat! She's actively suicidal Frown

It could be argued that the ideation is there, and perhaps it could be seen as a threat, but cutting is generally not an attempt or actively suicidal. Rather, it is a method they use to deal with emotional pain. They need to feel...something, so they inflict physical pain.

I agree that this person needs immediate professional help though.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She has signs of Borderline Personality Disorder which is very difficult to treat.

Cutting, eating disorders, suicidal behavior, substance abuse, etc.

Many therapists do not know how to diagnose and treat this, and medication generally does not work because it is a personality disorder caused by childhood trauma (abuse in this case), not a biochemical disorder such as bi-polar or clinical depression.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry about your sister, when our youngest son died we both went into a bout of depression, I worked through it pretty well on my own, my wife didn’t. She went to the doctor and got anti depressants (no noticeable help), she went to support group meetings ( helped some, she got to talk to others in the same shape) but I think what really helped her the most was us having a lot of heart to heart talks and spending as much time as possible together and just being there for each other. Losing a child is something that I don’t believe you ever get over, you just have to learn to deal with it day by day.
Good luck with your sister, being a long distance away makes it tough, but maybe if you talk it out and you tell her that if she ever feels the need that she should call you no matter the day or time. Good luck.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the feedback guys, I am going to step back from this thread for a few days and try to compose my thoughts.

I'll be back...thanks again for the comments, thoughts, prayers, and emails.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I'm in the same boat. Family member is diagnosed with depression, and a progressive mental disorder which gets worse over time.

Very hard to watch a loved one go through it, and only know it will get worse. And the meds almost make him comatose.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post