SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daylight Savings Time Login/Join 
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Here’s a rant within a rant...

Damnit people, it’s Daylight SAVING Time. There is no “S” on saving, since it is an adjective!!

I agree with the OP, if for no other reasons than savings the worlds froms havings to says Daylight Savings Time.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try living in AZ, takes this subject to whole new level...

We, as a state do not recognize it however the Navajo reservation which spans AZ and NM does BUT if you are in certain areas on the res (hotels) they do recognize it....Yes, it is a shit show.

A few years ago I had a fairly large film crew up on the res and we had a 4am call time....problem was, depending on where you were standing your phone would auto correct to/from DST randomly. It got so bad that at 11pm I had to go visit every crew memeber and tell them to ignore their phones and please set a timer for 4.5 hours so we could be assured no one missed call time.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
I much prefer the dark drive IN to work than the dark drive home FROM work.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fusternc:

It’s more dangerous to have the roads around schools full of kids in the dark at 7:45am, whereas the kids are already home from school by 5:00 no matter the daylight.

I had to deliver in a semi near a HS when it was completely dark at 8:00am. Sidewalks were full of kids, and they were invisible in my mirrors as I was trying to round corners. It was very eye opening (NPI) about the dangers of DST. Around my neighboorhood, elementary kids mostly walk to school. They now do it in the dark, at the same time everybody is late for work. Daylight Saving Time is a gimmick, has no real benefit WRT energy savings, and increases risks for children and construction crews. It is an antiquated idea.

Here’s an idea. If you are one who likes it just to have more evening light, how about adjusting your workday to 7-4 every summer, and leave the clocks alone.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
A DST story.

My now deceased grandfather hated DST. This was back in the day, and his house was full of clocks, all analog. Every year he had to go around and manually adjust them all.

One year, (1979 IIRC), we had an ice storm that kept out the power for two weeks. After that, he installed a backup generator. He then cobbled together from spare parts an adjustable transformer with a meter and a dial control. Every year after DST, he’d fire up his generator, adjust his power frequency to 65 hertz or so, and run it for a couple hours until all his clocks ran fast enough to catch up to current time. Every fall, repeat while running at 55 hertz to run his clocks slow. He’d exercise his generator and adjust his clocks at the same time. Rather clever I thought.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
Originally posted by Fusternc:
It’s more dangerous to have the roads around schools full of kids in the dark at 7:45am, whereas the kids are already home from school by 5:00 no matter the daylight.

I had to deliver in a semi near a HS when it was completely dark at 8:00am. Sidewalks were full of kids, and they were invisible in my mirrors as I was trying to round corners. It was very eye opening (NPI) about the dangers of DST. Around my neighboorhood, elementary kids mostly walk to school. They now do it in the dark, at the same time everybody is late for work. Daylight Saving Time is a gimmick, has no real benefit WRT energy savings, and increases risks for children and construction crews. It is an antiquated idea.

Here’s an idea. If you are one who likes it just to have more evening light, how about adjusting your workday to 7-4 every summer, and leave the clocks alone.
I agree with you completely. Unfortunately, we are in the group that is shoveling shit against the tide.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I don’t like it. Lived for 20 years in Arizona and got used to staying on MST year-round. I know the Navajos change their clocks, but they were essentially forced to since the Big Res crosses state lines.

If we have to have it, just have it 6 months on and 6 months off instead of running it into November.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
...adjusting your workday to 7-4...

One of the few that works 7-4 already. Love it.

P.S. Your late granpa was brilliant!

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Geez, it's an hour. Big deal, my bed time varies day to day by 3 or 4 hours depending on what I feel like. Always has. One hour either way is nothing and I do like the extra light in the evenings. Hell, it wouldn't bother me if they advanced it 2 hours.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
And Florida wants to have year-round Daylight Savings Time. So when the rest of the East Time Zone areas revert back one hour in early November, Florida will advance into the Atlantic Time Zone with the Canadian Maritime Provinces. I know that lots of Canadian snowbirds fly south for the Winter, but that’s taking things a bit too far methinks. Roll Eyes

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DST needs to be made official and permanent time codified into law.

Most normal people appreciate the extra daylight after work.

Posts: 465 | Location: Pell City, AL. U.S. | Registered: December 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I actually like it. My body clock seems to operate better on it. I wake up every morning at about 4 AM and cannot go back to sleep so now it's 5 AM.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1856 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
“We’ve just sucked one hour of your life away.”

Don’t cry; there’s a simple solution: Just arrange to die during the winter and you’ll have caught up with that “lost” hour. See how that works?

In the spring, though, I go, “Yay! Summer’s coming,” (even though it won’t get here for another couple/three months).

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
And "Florida" wants to have year-round Daylight Savings Time
"Florida" wants this? I don't think so. At least, not all of us here in Florida.

Standard time, as in Eastern Standard, or Central Standard, or whatever Standard, is called "Standard" because it's, um, wait, I got it, ... STANDARD! Yeah, that's it -- STANDARD.

Just leave it alone and quit messing with the clocks.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
What I hate is having to set an alarm to wake up at 1AM to move the clocks ahead...I can never get back to sleep Frown

Uhh, you do realize you can set them when you go to bed? It's what I've always done.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Uhh, you do realize you can set them when you go to bed? It's what I've always done.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Having read his posts, I think he was being sarcastic.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
What I hate is having to set an alarm to wake up at 1AM to move the clocks ahead...I can never get back to sleep Frown
Nope, I would never be able to sleep, knowing that my clock was wrong.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
And "Florida" wants to have year-round Daylight Savings Time
"Florida" wants this? I don't think so. At least, not all of us here in Florida.

Standard time, as in Eastern Standard, or Central Standard, or whatever Standard, is called "Standard" because it's, um, wait, I got it, ... STANDARD! Yeah, that's it -- STANDARD.

Just leave it alone and quit messing with the clocks.

You're absolutely correct.
It is all those batshit crazy people from New York who moved down here and sta....

Oh, wait.

Um.... never mind.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post