SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Local Superintendent of Education. can someone translate please
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Local Superintendent of Education. can someone translate please Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
All smart & hard workers hate group work, because they end up doing it all.

Much like the rest of life, where 5% do, 85% watch and pretend, and 10% fuck it up.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tn226:
Speaking of interpreting:

From one of our local “school advocacy” groups

“ We advocate for strength-based assessments that not only stresses the need of agency but behind to view resiliency, creativity and ingenuity as student assets, and this is the rationale behind the need for essential school staff, curriculum and programming that is strongly rooted in culturally relevant pedagogy, cultural competency and teaching, and evidence-based teaching and learning strategies.”

What the hell does that even mean?

Wow - whatever that means, I'm against it. If something can't be clearly and concisely said so as to be readily understandable, then somebody is trying to hide something bad.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Much like the rest of life, where 5% do, 85% watch and pretend, and 10% fuck it up.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Glad I am in the five percent with you and most people I know as friends. The 10 percent do provide entertainment as long as it does not affect me or my sandbox.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
41 stated it best.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by elmer:

"We must create classrooms that are active (the students do more than sit and listen)

“and project-based.”

Project based is more than listening, trying to memorize and then pass the test.
Each student has a project. While this “project” can vary with each school, it often involves student research, interviewing experts, writing a paper, building a physical (real) project and making a presentation to the class.

“Classrooms of students who are actively engaged in their own learning”

- In an older technique of teaching students were “empty vessels” to be filled with knowledge - ie, pour it into them through lecture. “Actively engaged” means the student is challenged. An example here might be “You like cars, can you figure out how gas and electric cars are different and then explain it to the class?” The student knows something about cars, this is an opportunity to learn more (the active part) and he/she then gets to share that new knowledge.

I have a Doctorate in Education. My dissertation was on Project Based Learning.

If you liked Shop class, you would have loved project based learning.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
sounds me like she is just saying they are going to try and make the students 'more better'.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
All smart & hard workers hate group work, because they end up doing it all.

Bingo

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where experiential education is more important than charted results. Everyone will get a gold star and the superintendent will get a bonus.

If the sup had said: "our goal is to increase test scores on math, science and writing", being measurable it could lead to failure and her out of a job if the scores don't rise the likely moral of the story: Test scores go down or go away entirely.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife’s school switched to this model a few years ago and it’s actually been quite successful. The kids complete the projects on an individual basis rather than in groups however.

Posts: 668 | Location: NH | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post