SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Do NOT let Home Depot forklift drivers load your pickup!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do NOT let Home Depot forklift drivers load your pickup! Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Seeing as the house generated exactly zero interest after being on the market for a year, we've taken the hint and decided to stay here. Therefore, some landscaping projects have arisen.

I have several flower beds that need updating and decided to replace rotted/rotting railroad ties with retaining wall blocks.

First project required 100 blocks. A pallet load is 144, so we off-loaded 44 blocks and had the forklift driver put the pallet in the bed of the Tundra. I took the tailgate off and pulled the hitch out of the receiver so he could snuggle up nice and close and get the load well forward as it is more than the Tundra is really happy with anyway.

Driver and flagger insisted I stand well clear and they shoved it in there. The Toondruh squatted pretty hard but it was forward enough and I was happy.

Until I got home and started unloading. They'd drug the edge of the pallet along the driver's side inner wheel well and folded a crease into it about an inch and a half deep. Faaaaaaaaaccccck!

SWMBO was so happy with the look of the first one that we decided to do two more that don't have any edging currently. Needed another 100 blocks. Same idea, open a new pallet, remove 44 blocks, load the pallet.

This time I insisted on being closer to the operation, pointing out the damage from last time. Driver was so concerned with missing the driver's side wheel well that he took a chunk out of the passenger side tail light lens. Spotter/flagger on that side was busy on his phone and didn't stop him in time.

Not bad enough to replace, but bad enough to piss me off. Didn't bother reporting it to management as I'm sure they have a "at your own risk" policy anyway and I'm not going to fix it.

In future, however, we'll be loading by hand...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
2 More loads and you’ll be ready for a new truck!

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
down here they have a rent a depot truck for $17 for a couple hours, might be worth it to drive down, rent the home depot truck, let them load it and save your truck...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Oh hell no, I would never have let them try the first time.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
down here they have a rent a depot truck for $17 for a couple hours, might be worth it to drive down, rent the home depot truck, let them load it and save your truck...

That requires you to go back to return the truck. My solution is to have them load it on my trailer. They can get two pallets on my trailer. I'd be shocked if PHPaul didn't own a trailer.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I'd be shocked if PHPaul didn't own a trailer.

4, actually. 3 of them with OTR tags. Guess I'll have to go that route.

OTOH, with any luck at all, I'm done truckin' landscape blocks...

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
That's what home depot has insurance for. Let them know.

Posts: 3657 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I absolutely hated using a forklift near a nice pickup. That was back in '96, I had already decided truck beds were to delicate.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lowe’s had their mulch on sale last weekend. Sure was funny to watch them load a whole pallet on to the back of some guys 1/2 ton pickup. Tires looked half flat, bed bottoms out, then 3 guys jump on the back and start removing bags. Mulch was pretty wet, I’m sure the pallet and 3 guys on the truck was close to 2 tons. Meanwhile, a dozen people are waiting in line for their mulch.

Posts: 199 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It's a working truck, right??

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Exactly. I try to take care of it, but I'm not going to obsess over cosmetics.

As to "why post it"...It's a bitch board, I'm bitching.

Apparently I misunderstand the purpose of this section.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OMCHamlin:

So if you didn't bother reporting it to management, why is it worth telling us?

When it happens to you, you'll know to report it to management.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Apparently I misunderstand the purpose of this section.
No, I think you understand it but don't like return fire. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

He could hardly have driven it to HD and back, twice, if it wasn't. Duh.

Hey, PHPaul, I'm curious: In a real estate market as hot as it allegedly is here in the U.S., how did you manage to have home on the market for a year and get no interest? Or are you in an economically depressed area?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Hey, PHPaul, I'm curious: In a real estate market as hot as it allegedly is here in the U.S., how did you manage to have home on the market for a year and get no interest? Or are you in an economically depressed area?

Unless you're a lobsterman, a blueberry magnate or a construction contractor, there ain't spit for jobs around here. Real Estate is VERY slow, has been for years. There was a huge glut when the Navy base closed. The few places that move are either high-dollar waterfront or being sold as second/vacation homes to retirees.

My property would be ideal for a young family that wanted to keep a few critters. Unfortunately, they're just the demographic that also needs a good job.

posted Hide Post
its retail.
if they knew what they were doing, they would be working at a place that paid more

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
its retail.
if they knew what they were doing, they would be working at a place that paid more

sigh,,,

always dissing someone working retail,

I often remind folks that bitch about people who work retail, esp the young folks, to remind me how much the retail workers suck when they want me to hire their kids,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
Picture of Replacement Tommel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
That's what home depot has insurance for. Let them know.

I used to work those claims.

I hope he complained at the time it happened and took photos. Once you leave the premises, it really depends on how believable the adjuster thinks you are.

-Tom

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10567 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
after 32 years in retail I can tell you that my explanation fits for at least 33% of the people that I have worked with .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
after 32 years in retail I can tell you that my explanation fits for at least 33% of the people that I have worked with .

I'm there with you,, will be 38 yrs in August

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post