SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Dropping your gun and waiting for the flash
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dropping your gun and waiting for the flash Login/Join 
posted
This morning I went to put my CCW, sig 365, on a shelf in the basement. Part of the grip was hanging off the edge and I saw it fall in slow motion. I squinted my eyes, turned sideways, lifted my leg to instinctively cover the the boys down south and hoped there was no flash.

Really makes you feel alive.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you fought the urge to try and catch it. That's way more likely to result in a discharge than letting the gun simply fall on the floor.

Posts: 32426 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I'm glad you fought the urge to try and catch it. That's way more likely to result in a discharge than letting the gun simply fall on the floor.

Forgot to add it was in a OWB holster.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the last time I dropped a firearm, it slowly spun towards the ground in Matrix style “bullet time” slo mo.

And I agree, it’s very hard to resist the urge to grab at it.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first time I dropped a firearm was summer of 1957. It was during Basic training and weapon was a M1 Garand. D.I. saw the incident and made me sleep with the M1 for a week. GI on fire watch made damn sure the M1 was in bed with me.

I really don't remember ever dropping a firearm since.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, guns and knives, let 'em hit the ground and get out of the way as best you can - bad things happen when you try to catch 'em. I knocked a holstered and chambered Glock off the top of my safe and time definitely slowed down as I watched it fall to the garage floor. I know a Glock is pretty much drop safe, but still.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I knocked a loaded AR off a shelf in the closet. I was hopping as it was headed towards my bare feet muzzle first.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3685 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Yeah, guns and knives, let 'em hit the ground and get out of the way as best you can

And glass. Definitely glass.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I'm glad you fought the urge to try and catch it.

“Don’t attempt to catch it or break its fall”: One of several additional firearms safety rules beyond “the four.”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
1981 - Llama 380acp ( downsized look-a-like 1911) small of back IWB carry (no holster) wearing street clothes . Went into PD relief facilities room 6ft X 6ft concrete floor/ cinder block walls/concrete ceiling. upon loosing belt to take a seat forgot about pistol till it hit the floor and went bang. After the nerves settled started looking but no marks to be found. window bottom open about 2 inches. Guess that is where it went. Sat down and completed business. Building occupied with several officers but no one responded to the gunshot. Able to keep it a secret till now. ............................... drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This brings up something that happened back maybe in 1974 75ish.
went over to a friends house, with my wife and kid.
It was around Easter time then. He asked if I wanted to shoot some guns. I said sure.
He disappeared into the house and I stood outside with my 2y.o. son who was playing out near the front door.
When the guy came back, he had his arms full of pistols.
One pistol dropped out of his arms and hit his concrete patio and went off. I jumped toward my young son and looked him over to see if he was hit. My friend said he is ok, the bullet hit me.
I thought he was kidding, until I saw the blood flowing out of his arm. I could not believe he was carrying them loaded like that.
On the way to the hospital, his car broke down about a mile from his house. We hitchhiked the rest of the way. He sat there with a couple diapers on his arm bleeding all over some guys rear seat that picked us up.
He then told the policeman that came into the emergency room that I shot him. He was in shock at that time. He did tell him the truth before they took him to operate on his arm. He shattered the bone in his arm.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only chance of that pistol going off by itself is if it's in a holster. And you're a cop.

Seems to be the common thread for P320's, anyway.

For anyone else, you'll actually need to press the trigger to discharge a P320 or P365.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dropped, actually it slid out of its kydex holster, my P320. Ass end first, onto a tile floor, before the voluntary recall fix. Needless to say that was the longest 1.5ish seconds of my life! It was from around waist high, don't remember what height they used for the military test. Still gives me the heebie geebies when I think about it.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some years ago, dropped a cocked and locked 70 series 1911 muzzle first onto the pavement outside the P.D.
Longest. Fall. Ever.
No discharge.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Years back I backed some Deputies on a gun call. When the guy was secured one of the Deputies accidentally brushed the gun laying on the arm of a chair. Watched it slide off and hit the hardwood floor. It was aimed right at my head when it hit, I was looking down the bore.

I picked up a M-41 S&W target auto. CCI mini mag in the chamber, safety off. Unloaded it and for fun tapped it on the floor ....SNAP! the hammer fell! Gun had maybe a 2 pound trigger, I was LUCKY that day.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Yeah, guns and knives, let 'em hit the ground and get out of the way as best you can - bad things happen when you try to catch 'em.

Add soldering irons to that list.

Just sayin'.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I don't grab at stuff, but I will typically stick out my foot to soften the impact. Better the first thing a valuable/fragile object hits be my soft foot than the hard floor.

Now, I would advise against this practice for a soldering iron, especially if one is barefoot at the time. . . Eek

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now, I would advise against this practice for a soldering iron, especially if one is barefoot at the time. . .

I would add garden shears to that list as well.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, guns and knives, let 'em hit the ground and get out of the way as best you can

Yeah, I learned that one the hard way. Unloading the dishwasher one night I fumbled a sharp knife and tried to grab it. Sliced my right thumb to the base of the nail, blood everywhere, lots of swearing. Normally I would just wrap it up good and let it heal, but this time happened to be two days before I was due to go on a camping trip with friends. So I called my friend and told him what happened. Twenty minutes later he showed up with another guy and they dragged me to the Urgent Care clinic to get it sewed up. The local they used hurt worse than the injury. The knife severed at least one of the nerves in the end of my thumb, I never did regain all the feeling there. Next time just let it fall, dumbass.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I know that my 1911 is drop safe. On concrete. Muzzle up...

Pretty sure my asshole made a diamond that day.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post