SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Cauliflower "Rice" Is An Abomination!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cauliflower "Rice" Is An Abomination! Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
My wife has decided that rice is evil and has been buying and cooking a lot of cauliflower "rice" which is just cauliflower pulverized into little bits.

Don't get me wrong, I like cauliflower, when it's lightly steamed and with a good bit of butter and S&P or even mashed, but this "rice" crap gotta go. It's NASTY.

I've made it clear I don't care for it and she now makes me real rice but she'll continue to eat this fake crap.

Anyone else try it? BLECH!

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
My wife has highly restrictive diet needs so I've been eating cauliflower rice and spinach crust pizza with her for years so she wouldn't feel alone.
Its very healthy and tastes as good, just different until you get used to it.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm on a carb jihad and have started trying all sorts of weird replacements for things I really like to eat. So far the cauliflower rice and pizza dough have been failures. I'm willing to keep trying different options to a point but knowing what the real stuff is and tastes like I'm having a difficult time buying in to the pale substitutes.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^

Got some big plans for that extra 2 months you'll live by giving up the real stuff?

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
^^^^^^^

Got some big plans for that extra 2 months you'll live by giving up the real stuff?

I focus more on the increase in my quality of life over the next 40 years.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I like it IF it has proper sauce with it.

For example, I do broiled fish with a lemon, garlic and dill sauce. When served over cauliflower rice with a good bit of the sauce, it's good. On its own, with just butter and salt, I agree, it's pretty awful.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Not as bad as the squash in place of spaghetti. Holy dark lord of ass taste! What a disaster that was.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Cauliflower “this and that” is the trendy new food that has replaced kale in everything.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^^^^^

Ha! I get where you're coming from and agree in the abstract but my particular situation is one where I'm trying to live the next 40+ years with as little intervention by the medical industrial complex as possible. Changes I'm not entirely thrilled about now and for the foreseeable future will hopefully offset losing the genetic lottery and allow for a higher quality of life for a longer period of time. I ain't happy about it. I miss rice and pasta and bread and cookies and chips and all that but I'd miss my feet or my vision more. Of course I could get hit by a truck tomorrow and it would all be for naught but I gots to play the odds as they're listed. So for now it's a new world of weird ass substitutes that make going without seem a better option.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
quote:
^^^^^^^

Ha! I get where you're coming from and agree in the abstract but my particular situation is one where I'm trying to live the next 40+ years with as little intervention by the medical industrial complex as possible. Changes I'm not entirely thrilled about now and for the foreseeable future will hopefully offset losing the genetic lottery and allow for a higher quality of life for a longer period of time. I ain't happy about it. I miss rice and pasta and bread and cookies and chips and all that but I'd miss my feet or my vision more. Of course I could get hit by a truck tomorrow and it would all be for naught but I gots to play the odds as they're listed. So for now it's a new world of weird ass substitutes that make going without seem a better option.

Smart man. Wink

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Tried cauliflower "mashed potatoes." Home made isn't bad at all but store bought frozen stuff really needs uncovered high heat when baking to remove the excess moisture that otherwise renders it like baby food. Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
I've put curry and stir fries on it. It's not bad that way since all rice does in those dishes is soak up flavor anyway.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
My wife made "fauxtatoes" with cauliflower. Whipped up the vegetable, dosed with butter and salt, and served as if it was mashed taters. My kids lived with the lie for years. Probably scarred them for life.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
rice is evil

?

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Related: had a bite of a “keto” cookie today made with almond flour. It was quite like a cake mix cookie (big and soft) so I liked it fine.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
My wife made "fauxtatoes" with cauliflower. Whipped up the vegetable, dosed with butter and salt, and served as if it was mashed taters. My kids lived with the lie for years. Probably scarred them for life.

I can only imagine the conversation at the restaurant when the kids finally tasted the real thing.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

tastes as good

Your taste buds must be clogged. Cauliflower rice is nasty.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
My wife must be doing something wrong. I haven't complained about her cauliflower rice at all.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
My family likes cauliflower rice, and it's a good way to stretch a meal.

A couple of ways to keep rice from giving you a glucose spike (if that's what your wife's concern is) are to either cook it in coconut oil or cook ahead of time, refrigerate, and reheat.

Somewhere I have a link to an article that does a better job of explaining all the science, but this one is more fun to read:

https://blog.bulletproof.com/l...-coconut-oil-recipe/

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

tastes as good

Your taste buds must be clogged. Cauliflower rice is nasty.

To each his own. I do a lot of things I don't particularly like doing. Working out, paying taxes, obeying speed limits, and eating healthy. Wink
I'd love to eat nothing but sugary carbs all day long but I prefer a 6 pack over unsightly beer guts and not being on 17 different medications for heart disease and diabeetus.