SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The 'real' flu
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 'real' flu Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
6 year old had it last weekend, spent sun/mon/Tues with us. Her 2 best friends had just tested positive for flu.

I started feeling crappy Thursday. Just exhausted. Came home early Friday night because the fiancée had picked up the kids for the weekend and my 9yo son was sick.

Spent Saturday and Sunday curled up on the couch with him, both of us worthless.

Today he's with a grandma. I'm busy being worthless for day 5 of this crap when the fiancée sends a text saying she's coming home with a fever and general weakness.

I've got to go qualify at the range this afternoon. Freaking joy. Supposed to go to a class tomorrow, too. Not so sure about that.

The flu sucks ass.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I usually don't get the flu.
About a month ago I came down with what my doctor said is type B and it really wiped me out for a solid week and some minor effects have lingered since.
Really sucks and not much they can do about it. I'm still coughing.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Day 2 for me.
No kids around. No idea where I contracted this flu.

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
can you get it more than once during one flu season?
I have not had it this year...yet.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
can you get it more than once during one flu season?
I have not had it this year...yet.

I'm not a microbiology major...but I'd expect that you can't get the same strain twice...but there are multiple strains...

Training for tomorrow cancelled. It doesn't technically count as a sick day, but I'm not cancelled anything from being sick for years.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 12 year old son has had it for about a week now. He is on the mend. But as soon as he tested positive on Wednesday last week, I had him isolated in his room. He only comes out to go to the bathroom and then I spray with lysol after he gets back to the room. Food is left outside his door for him to take once clear. Once or twice a day we'll let him go outside to get some fresh air if he is up for it. His instructions are to "move through the house as fast as safely possible and don't breath or touch anything while going through the house." Followed by more lysol Eek

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
That just sucks. I had it in 2011 and it took a solid 10 days before I felt decent again. Just horrible.

The CDC Flu Map is looking better though than it did a month ago. And I'm happy to see WA state where it is too.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Had the same crap for a week. Just now starting to slowly get my strength back. Good luck

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I don't think I've had the flu for 35 years. I feel for you, because it sucks.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, "real" influenza is a nasty bug that lays you out flat. What most people call "flu" is typically a nasty cold or Norovirus(stomach). Neither one has the butt kicking ability of the real deal.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
Yes, "real" influenza is a nasty bug that lays you out flat. What most people call "flu" is typically a nasty cold or Norovirus(stomach). Neither one has the butt kicking ability of the real deal.

Funny thing is, I think I feel worse, symptom wise, with a sinus infection than with this flu. I'm just weak and achy, dizzy and worthless, with a very minor dry cough and some occasional wheezing. A hard cold/sinus infection puts me in true misery, though.

-JALLEN

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I am currently fighting some awful form of stomach virus. I had to call off work Saturday and Sunday nights (which is a huge PITA for everyone because our dept is small with only one guy on at a time, so schedules have to be shifted around). I felt better on Tuesday, did some work around the house, and then it hit me again in the evening. I've been lying around all day trying to let it pass, but I've gotta go into work here in 2 hours. Hopefully it's a slow night, and hopefully I'm over it by tomorrow, because I've got 4 extra hours of details scheduled on top of my 12 hour shift Frown.

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BrianC
posted Hide Post
I just spent the last four days flat on my back. The last time I was this sick I was in the hospital with IVs in my arms. It's passing now; on the plus side if you want to lose weight not being able to keep down food for a few days helps.

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
That sux man. Here in SE TN we had strains A & B going around last month in the schools first. Luckily I got my flu shot from the VA in late January. Kicked my daughters butt and my dad caught it afterward. Both had infections in ear, nose, and throat immediately following the flu. Feel better.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd bitch as well but I'm exhausted from coughing. I have it, my wife has it, she has shingles and an eye infection also, and today they diagnosed an inner ear infection. She's stuck in a chair with me helping her back and forth to the bathroom. I'm working up the energy to drive one mile to the pharmacy and get her motion sickness pills and some cough drop/syrup for me. Fortunately our doc has Sat walk ins.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anarion
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've had the REAL FLU once as a kid, Christmas day 1973...

A few years later, Dave Barry wrote his article, (can't find a link to it, but the text is below:

quote:
How I spent my Winter Vacation
We have the flu. I don't know if this particular strain has an official name, but if it does, it must be something like "Martian Death Flu." You may have had it yourself. The main symptom is that you wish you had another setting on your electric blanket, up past "High", that said: "Electrocution".

Another symptom is that you cease brushing your teeth because [a] your teeth hurt and [b] you lack the strength. Midway through the brushingprocess, you'd have to lie down in front of the sink to rest for a couple of hours, and rivulets of toothpaste foam would dribble sideways out of your mouth, eventually hardening into crusty little toothpaste stalagtites that would bond your head permanently to the bathroom floor, which is how the police would find you.

You know the kind of flu I'm talking about.

I spend a lot of time lying very still and thinking flu-related thoughts. One insight I have had is that all this time,scientists have been telling us the truth: Air really IS made up of tiny objects called "molecules." I know this because I can feel them banging against my body. There are billions and billions and billions of them, but if I concentrate, I can detect each one individually, striking my body, especially my eyeballs, at speeds upwards of 100,000 miles per hour. If I try to escape by pulling the blanket over my face, they attack my hair, whichhas become almost as sensitive as my teeth.

There has been a mound of blankets on my wife's side of the bed for several days now, absolutely motionless except that it makes occasional efforts to spit into a Kleenex. I think it might be my wife, but the only way to tell for sure would be to prod it, which I wouldn't do even if I had the strength because if it turned out that it was my wife and she were alive and I prodded her, it would kill her.

Me, I am leading a more active lifestyle. Three or four times a day, I attempt to crawl to the bathroom. Unfortunately this is a distance of nearly 15 feet, with a great many air molecules en route, so at about the halfway point I usually decide to stop and get myself into the fetal position and hope for nuclear war. Instead, I get Earnest. Earnest is our dog. She senses instantly that something is wrong, and guided by that timeless and unerring nurturing instinct that all female dogs have, she tries to lick my ears off.

For my son, Robert, this is proving to be the high point of his entire life to date. He has had his pajamas on for two, maybe three days now. He has the sense of joyful independence a 5-year-old gets when he suddenly realizes that he could be operating an acetylene torch in the coat closet and neither parent would have the strength to object. He has been foraging for his own food, which means his diet consists entirely of "food" substances that are advertised only on Saturday-morning cartoon shows, substances that are the color of jukebox lights and that, for legal reasons, have their names spelled wrong, as in New Creemy Chok-'n'-Cheez Lumps o' Froot ["part of this complete breakfast"].

Crawling around, my face inches from the carpet, I sometimes encounter traces of colorful wrappers that Robert has torn from these substances and dropped on the floor, where Earnest, always on patrol, has found them and chewed them into spit-covered wads. I am reassured by this. It means they are both eating.

The Martian Death Flu has not been an entirely bad thing. Since I cannot work, or move, or think, I have been able to spend more Quality Time with Robert, to come up with creative learning activities that we can enjoy and share together. Today, for example, I taught him, as my father had taught me, how to make an embarrassing noise with your hands. Then we shot rubber bands at the participants on "Divorce Court." Then, just in case some parts of our brains were still alive, we watched professional bowling. Here's what televised pro bowling sounds like when you have the flu:

PLAY-BY-PLAY MAN: He left the 10-pin, Bob.
COLOR COMMENTATOR: Yes, Bill. He failed to knock it down.

PLAY-BY-PLAY MAN: It's still standing up.
COLOR COMMENTATOR: Yes. Now he must try to knock it down.

PLAY-BY-PLAY MAN: You mean the 10-pin, Bob?

The day just flew by. Soon it was 3:30 p.m., time to crawl back through the air molecules to the bedroom, check on my wife or whoever that is, and turn in for the night. Earnest was waiting about halfway down the hall.

"Look at this," the police will say when they find me. "His ears are missing."

==============================
On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Posts: 3106 | Location: Houston | Registered: December 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
6 year old had it last weekend, spent sun/mon/Tues with us. Her 2 best friends had just tested positive for flu.

I started feeling crappy Thursday. Just exhausted. Came home early Friday night because the fiancée had picked up the kids for the weekend and my 9yo son was sick.

Spent Saturday and Sunday curled up on the couch with him, both of us worthless.

Today he's with a grandma. I'm busy being worthless for day 5 of this crap when the fiancée sends a text saying she's coming home with a fever and general weakness.

I've got to go qualify at the range this afternoon. Freaking joy. Supposed to go to a class tomorrow, too. Not so sure about that.

The flu sucks ass.

How many sick days do you have? Take a couple. Because working patrol with the flu sucks ass

Posts: 1963 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
And three weeks later I still have almost no energy. Hope you are feeling better. On the plus side, a great way to loose a little weight.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Program on CNN talks about pandemics. We are overdue and this is a huge health issue. Some members may remember our last pandemic. Here is the link:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/07/...ndemic-sanjay-gupta/

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
H1N1 nearly killed me in 2009.
Started as a minor cough at 4pm on October 13th.
I know I went to bed at about 9:30 pm.
I have no recollection of the 14th, 15th, 16th and 17th.
I know at some point my wife got me to the doctor on the Thursday.
Fever spiked at 104, horrendous joint pain, delirium, unconscious.
I never want it again.

The one thing I really fear is a true flu pandemic, H1N1 mutating with H5N1 Bird Flu.

The transfer virility of H1N1, with the mortality rate H5N1... You can kiss goodbye to any social infrastructure.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post