SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Old Friends Bumming Money
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Friends Bumming Money Login/Join 
posted
I recently joined a social media group for an Army unit I served in for 3 years, the same unit where I met my wife. In short order I received 3 solicitations for money from individuals I had served with. WTF? I have always considered it in poor taste to ask friends for money. In times past, someone I trust, like Para, have pointed out people in need, and I'm fine with that, but in my opinion soliciting money from people you haven't seen in decades is kinda low class.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Was it actually them asking? Facebook (and other social media) is rife with hacked accounts where scammers pretend to be your friends and try to scam money out of you by claiming to be sick, or stuck in a foreign country where their wallet was stolen, etc.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with Rogue. Scam. Most guys your age know better.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll investigate the scam angle, that's possible. One of the guys I would expect this from, he was a jerk 40 years ago and still may be. One of the women found my number and called me after contact, I'm pretty sure it's her.

I didn't actually send them money, they know how much they need so I just sent them my account numbers. More convenient that way. Big Grin

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One day there was a knock on my door . It was a guy that I had worked with maybe ten years prior .
We stood on the front porch and made conversation and he finally got around to asking for money . This guy never had a pot to piss in and it was all his own fault . I told him I was sorry but I couldn't help him . It was weird that he even found me after all that time .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Bank of kz1000 closed years ago.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At a motorcycle event in New York some years ago, a friend asked me for beer money because he left his wallet at home. How he got to the event some 200 miles from home without cash, he couldn't explain.

I told him I would buy him a 6 pack of beer on one condition, IF, I would never see him again.

That was 10 years ago and to this day he has honored my request.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Just tell them sorry, I'm short of cash, frankly I was going to ask you for some green.....

Posts: 23242 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't actually send them money, they know how much they need so I just sent them my account numbers. More convenient that way.

Just post it on the internet, its quicker and more convenient for all.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I'll investigate the scam angle, that's possible. One of the guys I would expect this from, he was a jerk 40 years ago and still may be. One of the women found my number and called me after contact, I'm pretty sure it's her.

I didn't actually send them money, they know how much they need so I just sent them my account numbers. More convenient that way. Big Grin

Convenience is always the way to go!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago, my brother-in-law ran his business into the ground, then lost his house, a couple of cars, and I assume any investments and savings. Nevertheless, he and his wife continued to live it up: wining, dining, going to big ticket sporting events, etc.

I heard through the grape vine that they'd borrowed money from a couple of different friends once they maxed out their credit cards. They knew better than to ask me for money, but tried to go through my wife, softening her up with their sad tale of woe. When the wife started to tell me about their money troubles, I cut her off and said "Not one cent".

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

The woman just wants you to pay child support for your 15 year old son that you haven't met yet!!!!!!!!!!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin hahahhaahaha

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Personally I’m offended whenever anyone thinks I’m that stupid and tell them as much. Bluntness is more effective than diplomacy is such cases.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I been down that road with a friend that was out of work. After about $1200, I had to say NO. I haven't heard from him since.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Had a "buddy" that had once been a close friend call me one eventing out of the clear blue sky and hit me up for a "loan." Hadn't heard from him in probably fifteen years or better. Told him I didn't have it to spare. (Which was actually the truth at the time.)

Another mutual friend, who actually sent him money, hasn't heard from him since.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Was best friends...brothers...with a guy since 1989. He had filed for bankruptcy because of a divorce before I knew him and therefore had some credit trouble due to that. I helped him out by co-signing loans and credit cards, and to his credit (no pun intended), he got stuff paid off and got on his feet. He moved away from Texas in 1998, but we still remained best friends and would visit every so often, especially on our birthdays because they were 4 days apart.

Anyway, fast forward a few years into the mid 2000's or so (maybe 2007-ish) and he asked if I could loan him some money...around $10k I think. YIKES! I actually think he got into gambling issues, because his "dream" was to qualify and win the World Series of Poker. That was just about all my savings at the time, but I told him I'd think about it. I wound up writing him a letter and sending a $1,000 check that I told him was an absolute gift and that he didn't need to ever, ever pay it back.

I'm not sure if he even thanked me for the $$, but anyway, we communicated for a little bit after that and then what little conversation there was, just tapered off in a year or so. Haven't heard from him in probably 10+ years. I honestly didn't miss the money. Oh well...c'est la vie dans la ville grande.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I’ve only ever had a few ask and I’ve never given them a penny. Saw through the bullshit and I’m not finding someone’s bad choices.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I always tell them yes, BUT since you don't have any collateral, I'll have to break your legs in advance.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As far as Barbara being pregnant, well, I plead not guilty. She had a face that would stop a Mack truck and elongated, pendulous breasts. (My wife roomed with her.) Now Linda....well, that's another tail. Misspell intentional.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Confused

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post