SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Dodged a Craigslist bullet
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dodged a Craigslist bullet Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Been sniffing after a project for the Winter and there's been a New Holland TC35 diesel on CL that "Was too close to a garage fire, but has lots of good parts."

Waited for a somewhat reasonable price, then made a counter offer. Declined. A week later it's re-posted at the price I offered, so I contacted him again. After looking VERY closely at the pictures, asked a few pointed questions like:

1. How come the rims are nice and white and there's over spray on the tires?
2. How come the engine is freshly repainted with masking tape still on the various connection points?
3. How come ALL the rubber - hoses, belts, etc. - is gone but the tires are still good?

Got a message back "Don't bother to come look, I can tell you expect too much."

Nice to know the Spidey Sense is still operating at some level. I strongly suspect the sumbitch burned to the ground and he slapped a bunch of lipstick on that pig looking for a sucker.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
You're telling me you don't repaint your tractor engine and rims every other year?

Weirdo.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine scrap price being much less than $500.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
I can't imagine scrap price being much less than $500.

Not significantly less, no. But I don't need/want scrap, I want something I can get running without spending a small fortune.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
You're telling me you don't repaint your tractor engine and rims every other year?

Weirdo.

Big Grin Razz

Oddly, you're not the first person to accuse me of being a half-bubble off level...

Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I was looking to buy a used VW Beetle. I found one with some rust; nothing a little Bondo wouldn't remedy. I opened the engine compartment; it looked absolutely pristine! On closer inspection I saw that the ENTIRE ENGINE had recently been spray painted in black. I passed on that one.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post