SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I detest plumbing work
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I detest plumbing work Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
I have more water woes.
I am walking on concrete floors after the little water fiasco during the freeze a couple of weeks ago.
During this I just happened to check the drain on my fairly recently remodeled bathroom (new tub/shower,new fixtures, new flooring, new toilet, etc. ).

My tub has been dumping water under my slab for who knows how long. Frown

So I get a new drain flange, plumbers putty, and gasket and get geared up for this little job.
Well, crap. The first several threads are stripped out of the drain shoe.

I’m about done with this whole “indoor plumbing” fad. Seriously considering getting a #3 washtub and digging a latrine.

Sonuvabitch wow.

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless you have a plumber buddy your screwed, where I live $100/hr plus drive time . There like lawyers hate them until you need one !

Guns-I have some

Posts: 213 | Location: missouri | Registered: December 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I hear ya. Plumbing work is one that I won't tackle. Thankfully one of my best friends is a licensed master plumber.

I'm sorry for your troubles and hope for the best for you....

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I get chills just reading this thread. I'd rather work with gas than water any day of the week.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've got a guy you can hire. Wink Big Grin

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m about done with this whole “indoor plumbing” fad. Seriously considering getting a #3 washtub and digging a latrine.

Wait until you buy a new garbage disposal, crawl under the kitchen sink & find the original one was glued in. No clamp, just a half a tube of silicone caulk holding the disposal! 2 hours of cutting out silicone!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suck at plumbing. It looks soooooooooooo easy but I always screw it up.

Posts: 7524 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Some people can screw up gluing PVC pipe.

I am one of them.......

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Luckily, the only plumbing issue we had after the freeze was the vacuum valve on the sprinkler system. $230 later & back to normal.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My biggest gripe with plumbing is sinks, and where the cabinet underneath has a center stile, so you have to contort yourself just to get in position to do anything. My cabinets in the house are overlaid doors, with a wood reveal in between. Some of them have the center stile, and some of them have a piece of wood screwed to the left hand door to show the reveal, leaving a completely open opening into the space. Guess which ones have the center stile.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I wonder what a decent used RV would cost?
Surely the plumbing would be simpler....

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

My biggest gripe with plumbing is sinks, and where the cabinet underneath has a center stile, so you have to contort yourself just to get in position to do anything. My cabinets in the house are overlaid doors, with a wood reveal in between. Some of them have the center stile, and some of them have a piece of wood screwed to the left hand door to show the reveal, leaving a completely open opening into the space. Guess which ones have the center stile.

I had a cabinet like that. Cutting that center stile out and screwing it to the door was a nuisance chore that made me smile.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
I rather work with hot electricity!

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
I wonder what a decent used RV would cost?
Surely the plumbing would be simpler....

WRONG! RV plumbing problems are major nightmares. The plumbing is laid down first, then the cabinets and appliances are installed around it. I had a leak in a travel trailer that took hours and hours to resolve because I had remove cabinets to get to the problem. By the time I got to the leak it looked like a bomb went off inside the trailer. Never again!!

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
I had a cabinet like that. Cutting that center stile out and screwing it to the door was a nuisance chore that made me smile.

I have kept that idea in the back of my mind, but it always seems the plumbing problem that arises requires more immediate attention. Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and do it "in between". It's not a difficult thing to do. 2 of my 3 bathroom vanities and my kitchen sink all have the center stile.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taco68:
I rather work with hot electricity!

Have I got a job for you then!

My son woke me up this morning and said he smelled smoke. I agreed. After 30 minutes of searching, I found the source. The thermostat for my not even two month old water heater.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post