Find
Notify
Tools

Umami Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Kinda like those wanna be wine tasters. My buddy put one on. He works for a distributor. The most pretentious asses you could find. It was hidden label.

Everything had a fruity flair. It's made f ok fruit!
Hint of nuttiness...I'll say.
A cheap $11.00 bottle of win won.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Where do you stand on the 8 year old burger chain called Umami Burger? Some people say they're the best gourmet burger chain in the US.

I'd hold it in similar regard to the plethora of places I don't patronize like Samurai Sushi or Super Sushi Buffet or Teriyaki King. Smile Stupid names, shit for food. Unless the chef is completely removed from the restaurant marketing.

Maybe they could just call the place Grilled Ground Beef Patties. Maybe we need Creamy Ice Cream. Or how about Spiced Curry House?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I would never, in a million years, eat at a restaurant named Umami Burger - on principle alone. What in the everloving fuck. That's on par with idiotic phrases like Tres Awesome and the like.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
How is it pronounced? I keep thinking of "yo' mama."

V-Tail, you & I are culturally deprived as I thought the same when I read the title. Rice, the doctor told me not to eat it as it raises blood sugar levels. Also during Basic Training in 1967, we were told never to be captured as we would only be fed rice & too much rice makes white & black men crazy!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I hadn't heard the word before until last week, and then I heard it twice on the radio. Then this thread showed up.

Obscure to current; the very definition of pretentious, annoying, unnecessary usage.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Umami has replaced actually describing tastes and nuances.

False.

It may be that it's being misused but umami is a flavor like sweet, salty or sour.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Zojirushi's, like many made in Japan products, seem to last a lifetime.

Agree. I had one of their bread makers. After ~20 years, I needed a new bread pan/insert and contacted them. I was told they stopped supporting that model years ago. Frown

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:
quote:
Umami has replaced actually describing tastes and nuances.

False.

It may be that it's being misused but umami is a flavor like sweet, salty or sour.

Understand. The point of contention is not with the word but with how it's being overly used in non-useful manners.

For example, one now simply says that the dish has deep umami.

That's similar to one saying a dish is citrus. But there are many nuances to citrus -- tartly like lemons, sweetly tart like meyer lemons or key limes, sweet like oranges, sweetly sour like grapefruits, musky sweet like mandarin oranges.

So, instead of spending the time to describe, it's now common to use a one word catch-all as if people will know what that means.

Not to mention it's used where we don't need it. Umami ramen is like saying Frosted Flakes is sweet. Like we haven't known that for the past 50 years?

It's become a stupid fad buzzword instead of being meaningful.

That's the rant. It's being over used where meaningless.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Agreed.

As a side comment. I'd like everyone to taste straight MSG just once in their life, so they know precisely what umami flavor is.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Agreed.

As a side comment. I'd like everyone to taste straight MSG just once in their life, so they know precisely what umami flavor is.

Couldn't have put it any better

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's the rant. It's being over used where meaningless.

That I will agree on. It's like saying the dish has great sweetness.

What does that even mean?

quote:
I'd like everyone to taste straight MSG just once in their life

I miss MSG in my fried rice Frown

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Agreed.

Couldn't have put it any better

Bingo.

Umami = Glutamate.

And of course foodies will go into chinese restaurants and order no MSG. But hey, they're missing that umami experience.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Not embracing the proliferation of Umami? Guess your not "woke"....

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post