Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Umami Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I enjoy cooking. I watch cooking shows on occasion. I also enjoy shows like Trails to Tsukiji (NHK; available through their NHK World app) that explores basic ingredients, types and sources.

I really, really hate the way the term umami is becoming increasingly pervasive in the culinary world. I am turning off shows once the word is used more than a few times in 10 minutes.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Are you saying it doesn't exist, so shouldn't be used, or do you object to the Japanese word and would rather just hear "savory" instead? It was the Japanese who identified it.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm okay with the existence of the word but don't think it's necessary.

What I don't like is the incessant and repeated use of the word every other sentence. Even when it doesn't make sense or is really applicable.

For example, when saying something is sappari (light tasting; delicate tasting) with rich and deep umami, it's contrary. And when you're tasting 5 dishes and each one has deep umami, it't similar to saying that carrots, potatoes, spinach, and bell peppers all taste like chicken.

Umami has become a meaningless crutch for foodies -- everything has good umami like that's enough to convey the taste and experience. Umami has replaced actually describing tastes and nuances.

It's just become a point of meaningless, useless exaggeration that's applied to everything and repeated in every other sentence.

I hear it on foodtv and America's Kitchen even. not just Japanese shows.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
How about "meshi-tero"? Everyone is meshi-tero now.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16268 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yea - I think it's become over done now. There are some good things. I enjoy shows that show what and why something is the best and how it came to be. Like different types of clams and differences in regional clams. Why ayu from different rivers taste different. How they cultivated and developed musk melons and certain tomatoes to justify high prices. What goes into making gyokuro and why Japanese green tea is different from Chinese green tea.

But a lot of food shows are just crap, especially the 'reality' stuff.

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
For everyone else, meshi-tero is a "food terrorist". In Japan, the in thing to do is to make some awesome foodie dish, then send or post a pic of the dish that only you can enjoy.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16268 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
My rice cooker has a Umami setting on it. Not sure what it does, but takes a little longer to cook and tastes a little better.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
My rice cooker has a Umami setting on it. Not sure what it does, but takes a little longer to cook and tastes a little better.

Joking? Or seriously? That's ridiculous. What brand?

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Joking? Or seriously? That's ridiculous. What brand?

No joking. Button right on it. Like I said, not sure what it does, but it takes way longer vs quick mode.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...ice+cooker+zojirushi

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Interesting. There are differences in cooking methods that result in taste differences (depending on the rice).

If it's just a pre-soak, we do that anyway. If the actual cook time and temp is different from the 'Regular' cook setting (vs Quick), I'd be interested.

The setting makes sense if it's pre-soak. That might convenient for us (not necessary but convenient). If it's a different cook algorithm, maybe I want it.

I just hate that they called the setting Umami. That's the kind of crap I'm venting about.

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Terminology notwithstanding, I think there's something to whatever flavor enhancement feature that is. I usually make my rice with a bit more water than is marked. Maybe because it cooks longer, but I get a noticeably agreeable "nutty" flavor and firmer consistency. I had no idea I was being "umami".

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
If I had to guess what it's doing, it's cooking at super low for first 1/2 hour then slowing ratcheting the temp up last 20 minutes. This is guessing by the lack of steam, the ever increasing amount of steam that comes out towards the back end. Uses something called fuzzy logic IIRC to cook based on both inputs based on rice type and sensors.

Either way comes out yummy and holds warm for an amount of time that defies logic. I've ate 48+ hours later and still tastes good.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'd like to try the difference someday.... In my life, I've only bought two. Zojirushi's, like many made in Japan products, seem to last a lifetime.

Perhaps if I can justify buying a larger size (our current one is up to 3 or 4 cups I think). We usually only make 1-2 cups at a time.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's as though it's simply becoming slang for "super delicious". Makes people feel fancy.

I dislike it, too, in those uses.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
This thread is the first time I've ever heard of that word (maybe I need to get out more).

How is it pronounced? I keep thinking of "yo' mama."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
This thread is the first time I've ever heard of that word (maybe I need to get out more).

How is it pronounced? I keep thinking of "yo' mama."

Ooo mommy.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Can't even buy cheap instant ramen anymore w/out umami in your face. It's always been there but now apparently I'm too stupid to know it's there w/out them highlighting it on the package.

It's like putting a "Sugary Sweet" label now on Frosted Corn Flakes.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
^^^ A lot of times it can mean contains MSG.

Damn it. Now I want some ramen noodles.....

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Now I get the rant. The psudo-intellectual, pretentious use of the word is your rant. I totally agree. Reminds of how a word goes around news desks. Gravitas, gravitas, gravitas, the word of the week.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Where do you stand on the 8 year old burger chain called Umami Burger? Some people say they're the best gourmet burger chain in the US.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post