SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Actors/Actresses Who Were Typecast By a Single, Short Role They Played
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Actors/Actresses Who Were Typecast By a Single, Short Role They Played Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
How about the entire cast of the Beverly Hillbillies? Max Baer Jr. couldn't overcome the Jethro image. Donna Douglas (as hot as she was) will always be Ellie May. Buddy Ebsen had a few good roles afterward - really liked Barnaby Jones.

Posts: 463 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Edd Byrnes as Kookie on 77 Sunset Strip.

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
What bitch are we pitching again?

This.

Ted Levine, Buffalo Bill.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
quote:

This.

Levine played the Captain on Monk for many years.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1727 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Dennis Franz, he must've been a cop in another life.

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Think this problem affects the child actors worse.

The Brady Bunch kids
Screech from Saved by the Bell
That Home Alone kid
Gary Coleman from Different Strokes
etc.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Chuck Connors as the Rifleman.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
David Hasselhoff?

Which one did you forget? Baywatch? Or Knight Rider? Razz

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Did Chuck Norris play in anything significant other than Walker, Texas Ranger?

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OldChimney:
Ned Beatty - Deliverance
I don't think you're quite grasping the concept. Ned Beatty was a very successful character actor who played all kinds of roles. For example, not too long after Deliverance, Beatty played Mr. Dardis in All the President's Men. In the 1990s, he was one of the main characters in the excellent crime drama Homicide : Life on the Street. Ned Beatty was not typecast.

We're not talking about notable performances in cult films. We're talking about an actor taking on a role with which they are so closely identified that they cannot subsequently and consistently find work playing other types of characters. Ned Beatty does not qualify.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
Danny Trejo. From "Runaway Train" (1985) onward how many flicks has he been in where he wasn't playing a tough guy or badass Mexican enforcer?

quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

The Expendables 2. Even a bit part or a cameo is significant when it's Chuck Norris. Razz

I've heard another rumor, that you were bitten by a king cobra?
Yeah, I was. But after five days of agonizing pain, the cobra died.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:

What do you mean, he made a ton of movies in the 80's.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

I thought, after Bruce killed him on screen, he went to TV and made Walker. Razz

Q

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Adam West (RIP) - Batman
Lee Majors - Six Million Dollar Man
Mark Hamel - Luke

Mark hamel less so than you would think. He is one of the most prolific voice actors.

Yeah, but on film, I've only ever seen him in "Corvette Summer" and "The Big Red One."

He does great voices, though.

Most of the Star Trek actors fall prey to this. Denise Crosby, who played Lt Tasha Yar on Next Generation, actually bailed on the series after the 22th episode (IIRC) (or was it 16?) to pursue a (failed) acting career. I guess she figured she would use half a season to get herself noticed, and then wanted to springboard herself to stardom and avoid the typecasting everybody saw with the Original Series cast. It didn't work out for her. Besides Pet Semetary and Deep Impact, I don't recall any other movies she was in.

Surprisingly, her best work was done AFTER her character was killed off. She came back in a time travel episode ("Yesterday's Enterprise," one of my top-5 favorite Trek episodes), got killed off again (off-camera, this time), and her identical-looking daughter came back as a Romulan recurring villain to act as foil to Picard.

Of course, the entire first 2 seasons of Next Gen sucked, IMO, and nobody really looked good until into season 3 (I don't see any show that bad lasting that long today - if it doesn't strike gold in the first couple episodes, they kill it). Who knows how her character would have evolved over the next 5 years. . .

Of all the Star Trek series, only the 'big' stars really went on to do other non-typecast stuff. Patrick Stewart was in a bunch of movies (most notably X-Men), Jonathan Frakes went on to direct (he had a non-speaking cameo in the 2nd "Librarian" movie that he directed), and I don't see any of the others except in a Big Bang Theory episode now and then (Data/Spiner, LaForge/Burton, Wesley/Wheaton). Scott Bacula (the Captain on "Enterprise") was pretty well established before the series (Quantum Leap, anyone?), and he is on one of the NCIS spin-offs (that I don't watch).

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

I thought, after Bruce killed him on screen, he went to TV and made Walker. Razz

He was an action star in the 80s (not as famous as the Swarz or Stallone) - Invasion USA, two Missing in Action movies, Delta Force, and a bunch others.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Terence Knox. I know he was on St Elsewhere, but he's always Zeke Anderson from Tour of Duty to me.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty much any child actor in a 70s/80s sitcom

Posts: 2465 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
James Arness, Marshal Matt Dillion.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
quote:

This.

He tries, but one can never unhear that Buffalo Bill voice once you've seen/heard it.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OldChimney
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by OldChimney:
Ned Beatty - Deliverance
...Ned Beatty was not typecast....

Nor were most of the other actors mentioned in this thread. I know Beatty had many other roles but every time I saw him appear on screen a vision of him in that scene in Deliverance ("squeal like a pig") popped into my head so, to me, he was typecast.

Posts: 2364 | Location: West | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post