SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Swapping truck rims - Simple, yes? NO!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swapping truck rims - Simple, yes? NO! Login/Join 
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Got a jap salvage yard nearby? Get your lug nuts there. Also I hope the alloys were clean and shiny where the bead of the tire contacts the rim or you will have slow leaks. Depending on how old the tpms valves were you might have been replacing them anyway. The batteries don't last forever. We only charge $65 to install new ones at our shop.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Well, fuck me with a stick...

Daughter is Office Manager for a independent car repair place. He got the lug nuts I needed first try right from NAPA. Not cheap at $9 each, but I gotta have 'em.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, fuck me with a stick
You're not my type.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
You're not my type.

Well, that's just hurtful! Big Grin

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
You're not my type.

Well, that's just hurtful! Big Grin

Pretty sure that's what he means. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
It seems to me you need to add a Toyota Tundra up on blocks to your diorama.

Smile

I crack myself up. Razz

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Anyway...

Looks like it has been a week to remember.

Do you think they will have you rollin' by this weekend, or have they found some extra crap ($$$) for you to buy that they don't have?

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Anyway...

Looks like it has been a week to remember.

Do you think they will have you rollin' by this weekend, or have they found some extra crap ($$$) for you to buy that they don't have?

Should know later today. Two considerations:

1. The guy at the speed shop that got the wrong ones first reordered so I need to do him the courtesy of seeing if he got the right ones this time and if so buy from him.

2. NAPA has them, but to get 20 they need to ship some in from another store.

As long as they don't charge me a storage fee, I should be back on the road tomorrow.

Somewhat good news - We've been saving up for major septic repairs as our system is 45+ years old and never been touched. Had a guy come out with a camera and check it all out and all that it needs is to be pumped - everything else is good and drain field is perking like it should.

That means there are funds available to pay for the truck without having to dip into my "toy fund" money.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
All's well that ends.

Speed shop guy had no problem cancelling the order. Shop where my daughter works sold me the correct lug nuts at their cost.

Original shop put everything back together and tucked the used stuff in the back of the truck. Pulled up my Big Boy panties and asked for the bill. $386.41. Paid that and drove off.

About half way to my intermediate destination, a little balloon popped up over my head and said "Wait a minute..." Pulled over, checked the paperwork, they'd only billed me for the TPMS sensors and the half-hour labor to put the tires back on. Not for the 3 hours spent fighting with them at the first appointment. Went back and pointed that out and paid another $297.50

Stopped at the shop were my daughter works and gave them the over-sized lug nuts as a thank you for cutting me a break on the right ones. Asked the owner what the old rims and sensors were worth and he offered me $200 cash on the spot. DONE!

So the final tally is:

$379.80 for the rims.
$174.19 for the correct lug nuts
$683.91 parts and labor at the shop
$1237.90 Total.

Sigh.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I'd be more frustrated with it taking forever than whatever it was cost wise.

At least you were able to recoup some of your losses by selling the old stuff.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frown
on what year of pick up?
with how many miles on it ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Frown
on what year of pick up?
with how many miles on it ?

2013 Toyota Tundra, 56,5xx miles

posted Hide Post
quote:
$379.80 for the rims.
$174.19 for the correct lug nuts
$683.91 parts and labor at the shop
$1237.90 Total.

I'd be adding
$1,350 for a weekend in rehab .

Smile

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I'd be adding
$1,350 for a weekend in rehab .

Smile

Entirely cosmetic - I just got tired of looking at the rusty steel wheels and thought this would be cheaper and more effective than having them refinished.

Certainly wasn't cheaper. Hopefully it'll be more effective.

posted Hide Post

oh , no doubt
Chicks will dig'em