SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Can't Look Back Sometimes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can't Look Back Sometimes Login/Join 
posted
Up until 2010 I was a partner in an agency/production company...When I signed on a decade prior it was a very small shop but we worked our asses off and grew it into one of the biggest and best in our industry/specialty. I was very proud of it.

Sadly, as the years progressed egos, agendas and personalities clouded things and it was all compounded by the majority partner spinning out of control with a severe substance abuse issue. in 2010 it all came to a head and most of us left with what we could salvage.

I went on to start my own shop and have been pretty happy since then but there were some scars left.

A short time ago the, now sole owner, contacted me and offered what I thought was a sincere apology and it seemed like he was getting his shit together. I was happy for him and as we were once best friends I took him at his word.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago when he contacted me and said he was doing a job and needed me as Producer/Director. I was hopeful and happy for the call and looked forward to working with him again...until today.

To say the last few weeks have been a nightmare is an understatement. As soon as the was the slightest pressure or disagreement he went right back to being his old verbally abusive self and was making decisions that made no sense, not wanting anyone's input and being an all around jackass. I thought if I could muscle through until shoot day 1 he would chill a little but this morning I woke up and realized that I do not need this stress and aggravation...the beauty of working for myself is that I can choose who I work with and based on the direction he is headed this thing will be nothing less than a train wreck.

I know he is pissed that I pulled out but I wished him well and told him I would share notes and resources (even though most of the crew will not do the job without me).

Oh well, onward and upward

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Before, you thought the best.

Now you know.

It sucks that he has not learned anything since you first split up.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3850 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
Before, you thought the best.

Now you know.

It sucks that he has not learned anything since you first split up.

Yup and the addiction issues are either back in full force or he just destroyed the wiring to his brain

Oh well, now I know and can move on

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can't make a good deal with a bad person. Sounds like he still has severe addiction issues. Surprised, he has kept the business together so long.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
People can kick addictions but they can’t kick a personality.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
You can't make a good deal with a bad person. Sounds like he still has severe addiction issues. Surprised, he has kept the business together so long.

From what I gather the business is hanging on by a thread and that is only to two employees that remained after the train came off the rails and they are there because I dont think either is employable elsewhere