SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I Really Hate the Computer Generated Strike Box in Televised Baseball
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Really Hate the Computer Generated Strike Box in Televised Baseball Login/Join 
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted
Yeah so this is a gripe that may not get much in the way of traction, but I just gotta' say it.

Part of the fun of watching baseball on TV with friends was always the arguments of what was a strike and what wasn't. It was part of the mystique of watching the game. Was the ump a blind bum? It depended on how they called the strikes on your team. I realize that this veers quickly into Olde Farte territory, but showing the strike zone and exactly where the pitch hits takes some of the magic out of watching for me.

Basically, it's unnecessary. I know it doesn't affect the play of the game on a pitch by pitch basis, but I'd rather watch the throws the way the players see it on the field or fans at the park.

Grumble grumble...technology...grumble...

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I used to have the same gripe about the FoxTrax glowing hockey puck for hockey games. But as a total non-fan of baseball, it's nice to see the strike zone when I'm forced to watch it with a fan.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The commentators are annoying. I can live with that computer generated strike box, I have visual impairments, just like the umpires.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I'm more impressed by the accuracy percentage the umps are.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I have mixed feelings about it. I'm an old school old fart that doesn't even like the DH rule. But one of the good parts about the strike box is seeing just how accurately those guys can throw a 98mph pitch and how far out of the strike zone some of those pitches are swung at.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1864 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I like it. It wish the umpires could see it.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I love baseball and I love the strike box and the soon to be appearing automated ball/strike calls. Next year the Atlantic league will be using the technology. Too many bad ball/strike calls have been made affecting the outcomes of at-bats. The worst I ever saw was when Livan Hernandez was a rookie. He had a half mile wide strike zone. It was terrible.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
I like it. It wish the umpires could see it.

Me, too. I'm tired of the subjectivity of the strike zone.

quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
I love baseball and I love the strike box and the soon to be appearing automated ball/strike calls. Next year the Atlantic league will be using the technology. Too many bad ball/strike calls have been made affecting the outcomes of at-bats. The worst I ever saw was when Livan Hernandez was a rookie. He had a half mile wide strike zone. It was terrible.

The infamous Eric Gregg game. That was ridiculous.

I believe they stopped doing the NL only and AL only umpires in an attempt to standardize the strike zone. I mean, the plate is the same for all players, right?

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Problem is, the umps can't see it, so it doesn't affect the game. I was watching a game when I typed it, and I watched the ump call a strike that was just high outside the "official" box and a ball that clipped the inside corner of that same CG guide.

Ump can't see the box, and has probably .1 to .05 seconds to figure that last bit of a pitch that's actually crossing the plate. 100% isn't going to happen, and I haven't heard any indication of a "strike call review" coming up in the game, so it's still subjective.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Haven't seen it. Does the box move up and down with the different size of batter ?

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
Problem is, the umps can't see it, so it doesn't affect the game. I was watching a game when I typed it, and I watched the ump call a strike that was just high outside the "official" box and a ball that clipped the inside corner of that same CG guide.

Ump can't see the box, and has probably .1 to .05 seconds to figure that last bit of a pitch that's actually crossing the plate. 100% isn't going to happen, and I haven't heard any indication of a "strike call review" coming up in the game, so it's still subjective.

Ball/strike isn't reviewable, but you can bet your ass the umps are graded on it, which I think is great.
It's not going anywhere. statistical analysis is the new goober-headed craze in baseball. You gotta know who is 0.001% ahead in xwOBA so you *know* what is going to happen next right?

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Put me in the "NO" category. I find it distracting. I've always considered a part of baseball's mystique to be the need for a batter/pitcher to understand how the ump is grading the pitches and adapt. He keeps calling that pitch a strike? Better protect that part of the plate.

Baseball has a storied tradition. Tread lightly when changing anything.

If you really wanted to upset the apple cart, adopt NPB (Nippon Professional Baseball) rules and put a time limit on the game, along with the acceptance of tie games. I'd loose my mind if that ever happens.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:

Ball/strike isn't reviewable, but you can bet your ass the umps are graded on it, which I think is great.
It's not going anywhere. statistical analysis is the new goober-headed craze in baseball. You gotta know who is 0.001% ahead in xwOBA so you *know* what is going to happen next right?

Of that I have absolutely no doubt.

I read an interesting article that looked at how statistical analysis has killed (or is killing) the midrange jump shot in basketball. After a bazillion shots were crunched and analyzed, the stats geeks realized the percentage completion of 3-pointers was almost the same as the mid to long range 2-point shot. In consequence the majority of shots these days are from outside the 3-point line or just around the basket.

Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Not a fan.....and calling pitches ain't easy, I earned pretty good money ump'ing in my youth and it's hard...especially with a picture who could throw good junk.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I don't watch Tv at home but I saw a game on yesterday at someone's house and wondered about it. First thought was "Are they doing that for some special reason, or is this all the time?"

Second thought was "Why is the strike zone only slightly above his belt?"

It used to be baseball.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I've had some of my best naps during baseball games, had no clue the digital strikebox is a thing.

So how are players going to kick dirt on a digital boxes shoes, or throw your hat at them, get right up and bump guts, cuss then get tossed by a computer screen.

Although you could see a batter beating the crap out of a digital monitor and camera setup on national tv....

Posts: 23396 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I still enjoy college ball—a lot. It’s been quite a few years since I watched much MLB; it just feels too...everything. Decisions based too much on stats, probabilities, tendencies. Pitching too scripted and pitching changes based on stats,...

I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed watching “The Game of the Week” growing up.

Trivia. Who used to say, “This is the pitch of decision,” referring to a 2-2 count?

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post