SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My strange microwave oven issue
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My strange microwave oven issue Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
A little over a week ago my microwave oven failed – the microwave power amp wouldn’t turn off under control of the fractional power or duration timers, or even when I pressed the “end” button. The only practical way to get the power amp off was to open the unit’s door. All other aspects of the oven worked perfectly.

I quickly discovered how much I missed it! I’ve been awkwardly using it by repeatedly opening and closing the unit’s door to manage power flow – a royal PITA.

I spent several days choosing a new one, then ordered it from Amazon – it’s scheduled for delivery today by 9pm. And while making lunch lunch today, I discovered that my microwave oven was working perfectly again!

Unless the new microwave oven is faulty when delivered I’ll have no valid reason to return it – I’ll be the rare person with a spare microwave oven!

Maybe a good thing. My very compact kitchen was designed to have the microwave in a cabinet with a 12”-deep shelf, and the oven that I bought was the only decent-sized one I could find that would fit. Might not still be available if my current microwave goes permanently belly-up in the future.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Two things: First, I wouldn't trust your current microwave to not give up the ghost soon and secondly, I wouldn't worry about sending the new one back to Amazon because quite frankly, they don't care, they'll just take it back, no questions asked. Personally, I'd keep the new one and store the current one as the back-up, but that is just me.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
It’s like when you had old tube TVs that went wacko and called the TV repairman for a house call, and then the TV worked fine and he couldn’t find any problem and then charged you for the house call. Confused

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
It’s like when you had old tube TVs that went wacko and called the TV repairman for a house call, and then the TV worked fine and he couldn’t find any problem and then charged you for the house call. Confused

Just how old are you anyway?

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The TV repairman was common throughout the 60s. My Dad would always fix it himself. Take the back off remove the tubes, go to the local hardware store and check them on the machine. Replace the bad ones and the TV worked OK for awhile. Same with the radio.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
My childhood memory of the tube tester at the local Whiteway store is still strong. So many different tube pin configurations! Our TV was definitely a b/w tube type. The little CRT dot after the image collapsed to nothingness...time for bed...

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
The TV repairman was common throughout the 60s. My Dad would always fix it himself. Take the back off remove the tubes, go to the local hardware store and check them on the machine. Replace the bad ones and the TV worked OK for awhile. Same with the radio.

I remember that well as a kid. A lot of grocery stores had the tubes and a tester machine right in the front of the store, right next to the windows between entrances. At least Safeway and the Piggly Wiggly did.

This was also when big grocery stores had glass all or most of the way across the storefront.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7230 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post