SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The Kentucky Derby
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Kentucky Derby Login/Join 
posted
The Derby is usually held in May. This year, it was delayed until September (we all know why.) It was going to be held at 15 percent capacity, no open seating, just the expensive seats. Now, with advice from my idiot government here, they're going to ban all spectators. Should be exciting with no one cheering (not.)

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
It's more like pageant for rich people to showoff their WAGs in their gaudy head dresses. I doubt the horses are any less motivated to race w/o anybody cheering. Which distracts them more than help them.

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Its all about that idiot goven-a-tor we've got. I sure wish we could re-vote. The only friends he has are the teachers union members. I wonder if King Andy could win a dog catcher election these days.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
As I said over on this page: In reality, it is because of the on-going disturbances associated with the Breonna Taylor shooting incident. The BLMers, the AntiFa, and the “Not Fucking Around Coalition” (NFAC) of “Mussolini Jay and his Blackshirts” who have promised to “burn the bitch down”. The COVID is just the “official” excuse.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...35/m/4940019274/p/67

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The majority of Derby attendees are middle class, you might be surprised. We usually have a burst of people selling guns after it to pay their gambling debts. We don't have OTB, without attendees and those 2 dollar tickets......

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Yea the local economy is going to be the thing that misses the attendees the most.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
It wasn't just the expensive seats at 15%, unless you call $30k seats cheap. My boss was offered the buy back on his seats a while back before they shut it down.

I attended a couple years ago and had a ball. My Smokin Hot Wife looked stunning in her "gaudy head dress"

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's more like pageant for rich people to showoff their WAGs in their gaudy head dresses.

The Fascinators are great, and a tradition to bring good luck. Sure there are rich people there, middle class folks too. Even some poor mutton dressed as lamb. It's a lot of fun, and a great excuse to get day drunk.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The derby is replete with Kings, Stars, Wealthy, commoners and plebes....

One of the great things about it, but if you go to any major sporting event, Super Bowl, World Series, the Masters, etc it's the same, there is a mix in the crowd.

The spectacle of dress, drinks and atmosphere around the Derby is as much KY Derby as the race itself.

The one thing that was really cool was you got to hear the thunder of hooves as the horses rounded the track, which reminded me of the heady days of Keeneland fall racing, burgoo, bourbon and babes.... Followed by Columbia Steak house and depending on the night, Two Keys Tavern or Charlie Browns...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
a great excuse to get day drunk.

This is Kentucky, we don't need no stinkin' excuses.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post