SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Workshop Fallacy #11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Workshop Fallacy #11 Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
"I don't need to take pictures or make a sketch, I'll remember how this goes back together."

Yeah...riiiiiiiiiiight.

There are four possible ways to reinstall the lead screw idler gear arm. Eight If you count the four possibilities for the gear itself.

Downside up and back asswards is one of them.

Fortunately, the guy I got the lathe from had taken some detail pictures.

You'd think I'd learn after 50+ years of taking stuff apart and putting it back together.

You'd be wrong.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Speak the truth brother!

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I hear ya. Thank God that smart phones have good cameras now and I have it with me all the time.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
What, no pictures?

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
What, no pictures?

Exactly.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Unless they are simple and/or I have done them many times, I make sketches of serpentine belt routing before I take one off. Look at some of these diagrams and you'll see why. Serpentine belt routing - Bing Images Although I do have access to shop manuals, they often show these diagrams from a skewed perspective, so I like my sketches better. This doesn't help, of course, if the belt isn't on there.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
Right on bro! Especially when you have two young grand kids who pick up parts and drop them where ever they lose interest. I am still looking for the lower hinge on a Cessna A185F

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While working at the fishing counter in Reseda,
we would get one bag reel a month , sometimes two.

fellas would spend big money on a reel , and then , eventually they would decide to open her up to replace worn stuff.

they would show up with four baggies with parts in them , and a bag, in a box and want our expert to re-assemble them , usually by the up coming week end.

$90.00 to put it in line ( ten days to two weeks)
$175.00 to have it done by friday at noon.
plus fresh line is extra

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Yep. One of the best things about all phones having cameras now IMHO.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, this has burned me several times. I see how it’s put together now and it’s perfectly clear but when it’s in pieces that picture in my mind gets all fuzzy or goes completely blank.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Paint markers/pens are pretty handy for labeling parts.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I've never done this. Nope, not once. Certainly not with expensive medical equipment, that would cost hundreds to service. Why would I do that??

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post