SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Why search the internet but not sigforum?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why search the internet but not sigforum? Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
Curated opinion from informed sources is found here. However it seems that most people are not aware that this forum can be searched, just like the internet.

So dozens of questions repeat here, for years and years. This to me is a waste of the collective members time and energy. I suppose I view repeated questions as a form of disrespect.

Technology changes over time, and answers or recommendations from 2018 may be obsolete in 2021. Even so, beginning the inquiry with a search of sigforum would give the posting member some context, some starting points.

Searching here is not challenging.

I think I need to just avoid trying to encourage searches here. It just frustrates me.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Different individuals have different triggers, so if you’re interested in different views of the subject, a couple of mine:

Asking a question that’s been asked before requires starting a new thread. The subject of the question will either be clear from the title or it won’t. If the question is clear, I can decide to open the thread or not just from glancing at the title: hardly much of an imposition on my time. If it’s one I’ve seen and helped answer before and I don’t feel like getting involved again, I just move on. And if the title is not clear, then I almost always don’t bother opening the thread to see what it’s about. In other words, I don’t consider repeat questions to have much of an adverse effect on my enjoyment and what else I get out of the forum.

Then there is the simple fact that very often a question or discussion topic is not exactly the same as something that’s been posted before. Someone whose morning has been ruined by the fact that a question is asked or a topic is raised again may assume that they are precisely the same and that there’s nothing new to be said, but I’ve found that that’s very often not true. That’s sometimes the reason I raise questions or topics that are somewhat similar to prior threads.

More commonly, though, when I repeat a question, it’s because I’m seeking new, focused responses. Very often when a old thread is resurrected, the knowledgeable members who participated in it before evidently think, “Eh; I’m not going back there again,” and may not even reopen it to see that something new has been raised. If it’s a new thread, some members are more likely to become involved again.

Plus there’s the fact that people sometimes get fed up with certain threads. Part of the reason I started a poll about the COVID-19 vaccination rather than raising it in the long-running thread on the disease was because I was really tired of wading through post after post whining about masks and how they were worn or not worn. Another thread was started recently that complains about people not reading karma threads before posting in them. And just as sure as the sun will come up in the morning, any number of members thought they were being oh-so clever by posting, “I’m in.” The same sort of thing inevitably occurs in threads about other serious topics, and therefore the longer a thread runs, the more of that idiocy participants must put up with.

Finally, and somewhat ironically, when someone does resurrect an old thread to raise a topic or question again, it’s common for at least one poster to go to the time and trouble to ask, “Why are you reopening such an old thread?”

I understand the point of your complaint, and I personally try to research past discussions before starting something new, but there are times when I feel starting over is justified.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
BTW the search function here on the forum does not work very well.

It's far better to go to to the Karmanator site and use it's search function.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

Or just use Google, and preface your search terms with: site:sigforum.com

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

You can put that either before or after the search term and it works with DuckDuckGo, as well.

Friends don't tell friends to use Google Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen this question/complaint posted here many times over the years. Wink

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12422 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
And, don't forget, SIGforum data/info only go back about 4 years, after Para removed that long standing auto-prune feature.

Q

Posts: 26341 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

We should sticky this. I don't know if many members know how to use this or that it's available

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Speaking of the Karmanator, here is the link.

http://www.karmanator.com/

I use this often, both for searching the forum and for embedding videos.

This is especially useful when posting YouTube videos as the second selection will give you the video with the codes already entered for you.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I like answering the questions that I have answers for, even if it is a repeat question. The mental excercise strengthens my own understanding, and my ability to answer sometimes improve with time.

Sometimes the best way to learn is to teach others.

Also, repeat topics let me keep a pulse on trends, which can be helpful in my real life. For example, Subarus come up quite frequently here, which leads me to believe that Subaru is gaining positive traction in mind share across a pretty broad demographic sample. This might influence my investing habits.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Just a shoutout to member Chance for creating and maintaining the Karmanator website.

Thank you Chance.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
And, don't forget, SIGforum data/info only go back about 4 years, after Para removed that long standing auto-prune feature.

If sufficiently motivated, folks can spelunk the WayBack Machine for posts that go back to March 2000.

The Wayback Machine isn't searchable - it captures stuff that is live as of the dates it comes and crawls/archives, and it doesn't go super deep as to the number of threads it archives - and so is far less useful than Google-searching the live database here.

But if something's older than 4 years, and you can guess about when the post you're looking for might have been current, the WayBack may well have it.

Here's a list of some posts from April 2000

Here's a link to Wayback Machine: SIGforum.com archives, by date

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I can understand and support starting a new thread on something fast changing like computers, cameras, etc. However, it's lazy to start a new thread on things like lawnmowers which are slowwww changing, and lawnmowers recommended by Southern members in February (i.e. our spring) are the same as lawnmowers that will be recommended for our Northern members in April/May (i.e. their spring).

As far as searching Sigforum, use the advanced search and use Order by Date instead of the default Order by Relevance. It's shocking that there is at least an order of magnitude increase in posts/threads found.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23218 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
who makes socks?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Can I use the same oil for a push mower and a Kenworth? It was on sale and... Seems like some variation of this one will turn due in a few months.

I am guilty of relisting the same thread most every year, but at least it is about those who are alone for the holidays.

Posts: 9141 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

who makes socks?
Darn Tough

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

With the default options, it does not work well. But if you use "Advanced Search", and select "Date" instead of "Relevance" (which is the default), the search works very well.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Only “wastes time” if someone whose time is that precious decides to open it.

A forum is about interaction. Maybe previous threads didn’t have the information, maybe information has changed, maybe someone who didn’t participate in the previous thread has info and participates now.

If “I” ask “you” the same question repeatedly, I get that could become tedious. Not sure if it would be disrespectful.

A number of different people, asking a large group of people similar questions is not the same as “a” person asking the same question repeatedly.

Now “a” person popping up in a number of different peoples threads suggesting they shouldn’t ask questions and instead STFU and just search for info comes across to me as a bit of a dick move. May not be the intent, but as they say these days, “Perception is reality”.

Shit, half the country is locked down these days lots of folks have nothing but time. If folks asking for information really bothers you, you can just scroll on by.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10928 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23392 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Quoting multiple giant pictures repeatedly and failure to read other replies before posting, those are annoying. But with this, I fail to understand what your beef is.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post