SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The Annoying People of the Gym!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Annoying People of the Gym! Login/Join 
posted
About 6 months ago I decided it was time to get back in shape...I had let myself go BiG TIME and was ripe for a heart attack.

After finding a gym I liked I joined and slowly started going. I have stuck with it and as of last night I am about a taco shy of 75lbs lighter...this makes me happy!

What does not make me happy is some of the asshats I encounter on a regular basis, the top 3 of which are:

1) The person who sits on a piece of equipment for way to long because they are busy either texting, snapping selfies or chatting.

2) Anyone who yaps on their phone, especially in the cardio area! Here's a fun fact, if you can have a normal conversation while on a treadmill then you are not doing jack shit sweetie.

3) Slobs who dont wipe down equipment and/or leave their sweaty used towels everywhere.

Honorable mention goes to the guy in the locker room last week who was bare assed naked with one foot on the sink and trimming his junk...not sure if I was repulsed or impressed?

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Honorable mention goes to the guy in the locker room last week who was bare assed naked with one foot on the sink and trimming his junk

A classy dude. You should have popped his ass with a wet towel just as he started to snip.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
4) Dudes who blow dry their junk in locker room and don't keep the hairdryer's muzzle pointed in a safe direction

5) Dudes who groan like they're giving birth doing reps

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
6)The asshole that thinks it's ok to tie up two or more pieces of equipment.

Are you using this?

Yes

What about that one?

Yes.

You need to pick one

Posts: 5301 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
You need to pick one

Depends. When I do legs I alternate between two machines at a time for six of my exercises. But I do my sets, two each, and get off the machines. If somebody wants to work in, I'm more than happy to let them.

There is also an advantage to alternating between protagonist and antagonist muscle groups.

What grinds me is people who occupy two machines or (sets of) weights for extended periods.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Phones in the gym are the worst!
I refuse to bring mine in even though I have a workout routine app I could use.
I causes too much time to be wasted.
Also the guy that HAS to work in with you even though there are a ton of other machines, devices or weights that are available.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

Are you using this?

Yes

What about that one?

Yes.

You need to pick one

Or the guy who gets on one machine and makes it his life's mission to do every conceivable exerciser known to man on that machine

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Cannot you ask if you may work in with him?

Also, learning to ignore these distractions will help you to focus and have a better workout.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The guy who uses 500 lbs of plate weights on a machine and leaves them there for others to struggle with.

The guy who takes a huge dump in the toilet, stinks up the whole room and doesn't flush.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
At my age, my health problems, and my unsteady balance, I want to use a treadmill for walking exercise. Safer for me than trying to walk in my neighborhood.

Reading the preceding posts, y'all are convincing me that I do NOT want to join a gym!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
At my age, my health problems, and my unsteady balance, I want to use a treadmill for walking exercise. Safer for me than trying to walk in my neighborhood.

Reading the preceding posts, y'all are convincing me that I do NOT want to join a gym!

Just join the right gym!

I would, after joining a few that were not as expected, ask for a week long pass and go in to try it out at various hours to make sure it is a good fit.

Original rant aside, I really like the gym I ended up at and have made really good progress. I usually just put my earbuds in and keep to myself.

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

If all you need to do is walk the treadmill, I would just buy one for home use. You won’t have to worry about possibly waiting to use one and also if the thing has the flu virus all over it. Win win.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
2 old farts (man and woman) have conversation about politics standing next to me while I’m on a machine. I go to the “Y” to get away from hearing that shit all day on TV, but yet you bring it with you.

Old fart dude calling on cell phone (speaker on) to his wife’s psych doc about her dementia, but in order to get into the system he has to state her name, age/DOB, and SSAN for the insurance requirement. Way to go dude, you just compromised your wife’s personal identity!

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
2 old farts (man and woman) have conversation about politics standing next to me while I’m on a machine. I go to the “Y” to get away from hearing that shit all day on TV, but yet you bring it with you.

Old fart dude calling on cell phone (speaker on) to his wife’s psych doc about her dementia, but in order to get into the system he has to state her name, age/DOB, and SSAN for the insurance requirement. Way to go dude, you just compromised your wife’s personal identity

^^^^^
I would select another time to workout. Be flexible with your schedule.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
About 6 months ago I decided it was time to get back in shape...I had let myself go BiG TIME and was ripe for a heart attack.

After finding a gym I liked I joined and slowly started going. I have stuck with it and as of last night I am about a taco shy of 75lbs lighter...this makes me happy!

What does not make me happy is some of the asshats I encounter on a regular basis, the top 3 of which are:

1) The person who sits on a piece of equipment for way to long because they are busy either texting, snapping selfies or chatting.

2) Anyone who yaps on their phone, especially in the cardio area! Here's a fun fact, if you can have a normal conversation while on a treadmill then you are not doing jack shit sweetie.

3) Slobs who dont wipe down equipment and/or leave their sweaty used towels everywhere.

Honorable mention goes to the guy in the locker room last week who was bare assed naked with one foot on the sink and trimming his junk...not sure if I was repulsed or impressed?

FYI Aerobic Exercise is at a level where you CAN conduct a normal conversation and per Sports Medicine and the the American Cardiology association is the CORRECT method of exercise to do on a continuing basis. Anaerobic Exercise is at a level where you cannot conduct a normal conversation because you are working in a state of Oxygen Debt, in other words you are "out of breath". Anaerobic Exercise is NOT a healthy level of exercise on a continuing basis because it will cause Heart Damage. That old bit about No Pain No Gain is now considered stupid, because if you are exercising while in Pain you are doing DAMAGE to yourself. Do that long enough and you are going to need surgery at some point.

BTW, I'm not at all supporting those who conduct a phone call during exercise because they tend to do it at a rather high volume. I'm just pointing out that you should do some research on how hard you should be exercising. I'll also point out that my use of an accurate heart rate monitor led me to getting heart surgery BEFORE having a Heart Attack. I advise you get yourself an electronically based chest strap monitor and using it every time you exercise. BTW led monitors are JUNK, they are not accurate.

I also agree that exercise machines are NOT chairs. If you have a butt planted on a machine you should be Exercising, not staring into space or texting your foolish and ugly girlfriend how "awesome" you are.

Also agree about cleaning up after yourself. I don't care if you don't work up a sweat, you are a germ laden lump of flesh and you really need to clean up what you left behind.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anaerobic Exercise is NOT a healthy level of exercise on a continuing basis because it will cause Heart Damage. That old bit about No Pain No Gain is now considered stupid, because if you are exercising while in Pain you are doing DAMAGE to yourself.

Imagine that. I've been ahead of my time for nearly 70 years!

I've always thought "No pain, no gain" was complete horse shit. Also "Pain is weakness leaving your body." No, Scooter, Pain is your body telling you you're abusing it, Dumbass.

No Pain, No Problem. That's MY mantra.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Anaerobic Exercise is NOT a healthy level of exercise on a continuing basis because it will cause Heart Damage. That old bit about No Pain No Gain is now considered stupid, because if you are exercising while in Pain you are doing DAMAGE to yourself.

Imagine that. I've been ahead of my time for nearly 70 years!

I've always thought "No pain, no gain" was complete horse shit. Also "Pain is weakness leaving your body." No, Scooter, Pain is your body telling you you're abusing it, Dumbass.

No Pain, No Problem. That's MY mantra.

Since I have started injury repair training my mantra has been very much like yours, "No pain, Good!"

Be good to yourselves.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Don’t forget walking into the locker room after some twat sets off a can of body spray like it’s a fucking bug spray fogger. Mad

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Don’t forget walking into the locker room after some twat sets off a can of body spray like it’s a fucking bug spray fogger. Mad

Holy Flashback, Batman!

When my oldest grandson was a teen, he lived with us for a while and you damn near needed a gas mask to go into the bathroom after he got out of a shower.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anaerobic Exercise

Without air? Confused

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post