SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Just when I thought today couldn't get worse...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just when I thought today couldn't get worse... Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
... I get a letter from the Internal Revenue Service asking for additional documentation on my 2016 return.

FML.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All I get from the IRS is e-mail SPAM offering to give me millions of $$$$.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KurtZ66
posted Hide Post
I know a foreign prince that can get you money if you need it.

‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’

— Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

Posts: 413 | Location: GA | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
The homeowners association sent me a letter for $1700 to fix the road. They have played with the road for over 30 years and can't seen to fix the water runoff problems that has been pointed out several times by different people.

Then there is the snow removal guy who has no feet on his blade so every time he plows, an inch of gravel is thrown to the side of the road and over the bank.

Like they say "You can't fix stupid".

Many years ago, one owner when President, had them to vote to maintain has easement to his lot which is shared by another lot. The fees those two pay wouldn't pay for the snow removal much less the maintenance of the road.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
... I get a letter from the Internal Revenue Service asking for additional documentation on my 2016 return.
Stand by for the phone call demanding payment or they will send the police to put you in jail.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got one last year, but it was impressive. They said I owed money, said what I did wrong, included copies of the errors highlighted, and offered a channel of appeal if I disagreed. It was almost (not quite) pleasant writing the check. I don't mind being wrong so much as I mind arguing with idiots. If they're going to be competent, well, that's almost ok.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I get a letter from the Internal Revenue Service asking for additional documentation on my 2016 return.

No big deal. Have had plenty. Call your CPA. It is only a problem if you were cheating.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
If you want I can run over real quick and kick you in the balls?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
I get a letter from the Internal Revenue Service asking for additional documentation on my 2016 return.

Call your CPA.

What does my Closest Point of Approach have to do with taxes?

Nice is overrated

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In your case, it means Canadian Psychiatric Association

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
In your case, it means Canadian Psychiatric Association

I was thinking Colossal Penis Attachment. Good, I'd hate to think my buddy was going to be fucked.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I've gotten two of them. Once they were right (I missed a 1099) & I sent them a check. Once I was right, & my tax guy sent them documentation of proof. They agreed, & all was good. The thing that bugged me about it was their interpretation of the facts. I'd closed an underperforming money market account, and deposited the remainder (a loss, BTW) in another account. They considered the entire amount I'd cashed out to be income whereas the net was really a loss. My tax man told me they probably knew that, but they'd throw a bunch of shit at the wall & some would stick, meaning some people just knuckle under and pay them. Since this was during 0bummer's years, I cynically wondered if it had anything to do with my affiliations & charitable deductions. Anyway, we worked it out in my favor. I hope you're able to smooth it out.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Stand by for the phone call demanding payment or they will send the police to put you in jail.

No doubt, everyone knows that you are joking, nonetheless please do not conflate a legitimate governmental inquiry with those m'f'ing scammers from India.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Don't worry, I got bucks I didn't know I had, from a Nigerian Prince that just passed and I was related to.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I got one last year, but it was impressive. They said I owed money, said what I did wrong, included copies of the errors highlighted, and offered a channel of appeal if I disagreed. It was almost (not quite) pleasant writing the check. I don't mind being wrong so much as I mind arguing with idiots. If they're going to be competent, well, that's almost ok.

I got something similar in 2014. They were right, I was wrong. So I wrote a check.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I did also, but it turned out to be nothing. Just an extra form to be sent in.

Are they asking for a Form 8962? Just a parting shot, legacy of a failed Health Plan Inititive.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
And today...

... The Commonwealth of Virginia decided to join the "Let's wreck SIG2340's week" parade.

Truly, FML.

Nice is overrated

posted Hide Post
. The Commonwealth of Virginia decided to join the "Let's wreck SIG2340's week" parade.

I assume it is a tax issue as well. As my accountant explained that means they are talking to each other which he said was not a bad thing. He explained sometimes the state comes after you years later for the same thing. Additional documentation happens regularly. It is NOT an audit, probably something their computer spit out. Good luck and keep us updated.

posted Hide Post
Treasury of the state of Michigan made me jump through hoops 2 months AFTER I filed to prove I was the same schmo who's been filing at this address for 25 years with the same occupation and slowly climbing income. finally approved and dinky return deposited.
6 months later they would like my wife (of 32 years) to send copies of her W2,driver's license, 1099s etc. to prove she's who we said she was.
Tell me how sending all that sensitive info through the mail in an envelope marked TREASURY is a good security move. There is probably a USPS civil servant getting new credit cards in her name right now.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

75% of the letters I see, IRS is incorrect. NEVER respond without seeing a tax professional first (I do not mean H&R Block).

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post