SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Dear coal rollin' dooooshbag,
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Dear coal rollin' dooooshbag, Login/Join 
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
In Pittsburgh the mayors nickname is Bike Lane Bill Peduto.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever you may think, a big truck doesn’t give you balls.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Report This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Boy, I love cyclist threads. I have luckily only been inconvenienced a few times, and have only seen coal rolling a few times locally. All thoroughly entertaining. You couldn't pay me enough to ride my bike where I've seen the cyclists block me.

My sympathy, however, is fairly low as virtually all cycling is recreational, and virtually none of my driving is. So any interaction is immediately frustrating.

Posts: 2011 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing better illustrates the psychological concept of "The Other" than a good cyclist vs. driver thread.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
Nothing better illustrates the psychological concept of "The Other" than a good cyclist vs. driver thread.

Oh, I dunno about that: So what did these folks think was going to happen by vaping these chemicals? Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, many drivers would kill us if they could, just because. Many pussies drive big trucks.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
As someone who has worked in the diesel engine industry for two decades, I cringe at the coal rollers.

Billions of dollars in R&D, new factories, cost and complexity of manufacture, weight, OBD, DEF, and other expenses to meet the ever increasing emissions requirements for diesel particulate matter and NOX. Cities like Beijing are choking on pollution and are finally putting in US/Europe level emissions regulations. Also add into that fuel economy improvements to counteract the negative effects of EGR and other emissions controls on power and fuel efficiency.

Diesel engines are so clean now, some demonstrations include a white hanky test onto exhaust pipe.

And some guy thinks it would be cool to ignore all this stuff, remove the emissions controls, reprogram the engine computer, and increase the fueling rate to way past design levels, and blow a bunch of partially burned diesel soot into the air, which after a few "coal rolls" will equal about a vehicle lifetime of emissions at currently mandated emissions levels?

Why would you modify a vehicle to product more pollution without any other benefit except to annoy people?

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Report This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:

Why would you modify a vehicle to product more pollution without any other benefit except to annoy people?

Because they're assholes.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15230 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:

Beat me to it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't running that rich wash down the cylinders and shorten engine life if done very much?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Report This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Jesus Christ, the hatred for cyclists is surprising. Maybe in Colorado there's some epidemic of lane hogging masses of riders causing a ruckus. Around here, I don't have that problem as a driver and I sure as fuck don't cause that problem as a cyclist.

Like Artie, I will also coast to the front of the pack at a stop light, but that's mostly to avoid getting smashed between the last car in the line and some dipshit who is sexting his girlfriend or otherwise not paying attention.

A portion of my regular route is bike lane (shared with vehicles) or an adjacent bike trail (a shared sidewalk), but most of the time I'm on the street. I've had a small number of assholes sharing their opinions while passing me, but otherwise people don't fuck with me.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9690 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Report This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
Jesus Christ, the hatred for cyclists is surprising. Maybe in Colorado there's some epidemic of lane hogging masses of riders causing a ruckus.

And Seattle, and other super-liberal strongholds. Not trying to interject politics into an apolitical thread, but the two things truly go hand-in-glove.

I wouldn't call it hatred for, but rather a strong dislike of. I used to ride a bike as my primary mode of transportation in Florida because I lived only a few shorts blocks from work, and it saved us a ton of money rather than buying and fueling a second car. I enjoyed the exercise and the sense of freedom I had riding.

Out here, and I'm sure in many other such enclaves, there's militant packs of these assholes who don't follow the rules of the road and will ride up within inches of you to draft you through town the whole way. Totally changed my attitude on bicycling, and bicyclists in general. Sorry.

I had a coworker who had some cyclist drafting him through town so closely in his lifted truck that he couldn't hardly see the guy, and at the next green light, he started and stopped to give the guy a clue. Guy must've barely tapped his bumper because he angrily chased him to the next light, and went running up to his window, screaming and bawling him out. My coworker is a "no fucks to be given" type and simply picked up his Big Gulp out of the cup holder and gave the guy a speed pitch to the chest and laughed in his face as he drove off at the green light. You're only so intimidating wearing a neon green spandex unitard and a foam helmet with a bunch of mirrors sticking off of it and maybe shouldn't go picking fights with neckbeards in lifted 30 year old pickup trucks. See what I'm saying? There's a mindset difference at play here. Nobody likes an entitled jackass.

Biking in Orlando or Brevard County is a damn far cry from the culture it is out here and other scattered places around the country.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Report This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
quote:

Beat me to it.

I can't say for other Diesel trucks but in GM's case if there has been any tuning done to the truck outside of a dealership whether it be a reprogram or a add on device the engine warranty is null and void. The ECM's will show (maybe someone has figured out a way around, my information is a couple years old)internally that the factory programming has been compromised even if the new programming has been wiped clean and the old factory programming has been reinstalled.

Especially when there has been an engine failure they look hard and deep into the cause and if the factory can find any signs of tampering......

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Report This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
quote:

Beat me to it.

I can't say for other Diesel trucks but in GM's case if there has been any tuning done to the truck outside of a dealership whether it be a reprogram or a add on device the engine warranty is null and void. The ECM's will show (maybe someone has figured out a way around, my information is a couple years old)internally that the factory programming has been compromised even if the new programming has been wiped clean and the old factory programming has been reinstalled.

Especially when there has been an engine failure they look hard and deep into the cause and if the factory can find any signs of tampering......

All of the Big 3 do that with their diesels. Most of the coal rollers I’ve seen are well past the warranty.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Report This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Consumer protection laws in the US put the burden of proof on the MFG. They have to prove that any mod you did actually caused the malfunction. They can't just say "you voided the warranty by xxxxxxx". However in the real world... good luck with that defense. It also gets more complicated when you Are dealing with federally mandated emission systems.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Report This Post