SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Earl Grey Tea
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Earl Grey Tea Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
My wife likes to drink tea, English style with milk, and prefers English Breakfast. Whenever she asks for it at a restaurant, the waitron says yes, we have black tea. English Breakfast? I'll check.
Comes back with...Earl Grey.

I'm not talking about 2 times out of 3, or 4 times out of 5.
It's a decent restaurant, not cheap, the food is good...but they don't have a clue about proper tea.

I'm not even complaining that there's no tea pot, scalded, or that the water is never at a rolling boil.

Why does it have to be Earl Grey? Not Keemun, not Lapsang Suchong, not Assam, hardly ever even Lipton. Earl Grey does not go with milk.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I used to have the same problem when I drank sweet tea. Most places in the north don't have it but when I asked the wait staff would always tell me that they had raspberry tea. Always Raspberry. I don't know what northerners love about raspberry but raspberry tea isn't sweet tea. Damn northern devils.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/R2IJdfxWtPM

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My GF loves "Green Tea" or "Hibiscus Tea". Of course restaurants don't carry such items so she carries a few tea bags in her purse. She'll ask for a cup of hot water and make her own tea.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Here is the most likely answer.

It is what Sysco sells. They are a large food supply distributer. The order book probably has Lipton and Earl Grey, the later sounds more formal, so that gets the nod.

The sweet tea? Same as above to a certain degree. Sweet tea generally means someone must make it, raspberry comes in a bag in box that fits the soda machine. Sweet tea isn't exactly a thing up north so the raspberry shit gets the nod.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5147 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gasche
posted Hide Post
Earl Grey with 1/2&1/2 and honey. Sounds terrible, I know, but that’s the way, un uh, I like it.

Posts: 748 | Location: Western Washington AC | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Tetley drinker here. Three sugars, a little milk and some Scottish shortbread to go with it.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife has a large cup of hot tea being refilled many times a day. She drinks it Russian style with spooned compote or honey. A pot of tea is made very strong from loose tea each morning then weakened with hot water. She has tried all the brands sold at the Kurdish, Japanese, & other ethnic stores. Her brand preference is loose leaf Lipton Blend found at some Walmarts in Nashville or Lipton Yellow Label Orange Pekoe. Also when tea bags are being used Lipton is the taste preference over all the more expensive brands.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
First let me say that most places make sweet tea to sweet and to weak to suit me. I use Luzianne tea at home all the time. I only use 1 and 1/4 cup of sugar per gallon and it is made with 4 large bags per gallon.

As for hot tea we do not drink it very often but when I do it is usually with a little lemon juice and sugar to taste. None of this crappy raspberry flavored junk.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to always warn folks, don't order iced tea in a North Carolina Bar BQ joint if you're diabetic.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Especially in these cooler months, when the temperatures dip down to the frigid fifties here in Central Florida, I am addicted to the Twinings brand of Earl Gray.

That next cup is always on my mind when I am on the way home from work. Hot. Straight. Nothing added to dilute the goodness.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
I used to have the same problem when I drank sweet tea. Most places in the north don't have it

I was always amused about the places down South (usually fast food joints), that offer "tea", and "unsweetened tea". Like they went to some special effort to "unsweeten" the tea. Smile

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
I used to have the same problem when I drank sweet tea. Most places in the north don't have it

I was always amused about the places down South (usually fast food joints), that offer "tea", and "unsweetened tea". Like they went to some special effort to "unsweeten" the tea. Smile

It's actually quite expensive to remove the sugar.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/lYYWQT_Ea1A

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’m with you. I much prefer English Breakfast to Earl Grey, which is flavored with oil from the rind of bergamot orange.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8931 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Twinings English Breakfast and Earl Grey are my favorite teas. Having English Breakfast as I write this. Wife hates Earl Grey. Says it smells like shoe polish.

Posts: 5693 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I was big fan of Earl Grey until I tried a few different brands that use a different formula to add the bergamot,

some is good, some just flat out sucks,

switched to English Tea, as in I get it from the English/import section if I can find it,

having a cup of Barry's Irish Breakfast now,
Yorkshire Tea, P&G tips are and Barry's gold are good as well,

prefer honey, just a bit, vs sugar,
no milk please

and for kicks, try a dab of honey and a splash of Scotch,,, mighty good

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasche:
Earl Grey with 1/2&1/2 and honey. Sounds terrible, I know, but that’s the way, un uh, I like it.

That’s how I like it too.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Earl Grey doesn't do much for me. I much prefer Darjeeling, first or second blush, unfettered by milk or sugar. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:

You do. To make a gallon of tea you use about 4 or 5 of Luziannas, about 2 cups of sugar, then hot water. You boil the hell outta the tea bags twice, after putting your sugar in the gallon jug. So to remove the sugar youd have to get like a special collander or something to catch the sugar particles.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Hot tea at a restruant is almost always a dissatisfactory experience, if only because of the expense and refill chalenge. Cheaper restraunts charge at least $2.00 for a teabag, fancy restraunts as much as $5.00. And the tea bags are presented on a tray as if you are being shown the nuclear codes. Harney's or Republic ain't a top secret. Lap Sou is pretty rare.

I prefer Lady Grey to Earl Gray, with a small amount of sugar. The LG or LS is almost never an option.
Chai is nice, too.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post