SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Earl Grey Tea
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Earl Grey Tea Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I like a cup of hot tea now and then, especially if the ol' tum-tum is feeling a bit off. Lipton's and soda crackers will set things right. Other times, if I'm suffering from a bit of coffee burn-out, I'll switch to Earl Grey for a day or two.

Summertime, I loves me some sweet tea. I brew mine in a Mr. Coffee Iced Tea maker (patience is NOT one of my virtues) and I much prefer Red Rose brand for iced tea. I add sugar to individual glasses of tea, which requires some dedicated stirring to avoid undissolved sugar in the bottom of the glass, but I haven't found a satisfactory way to sweeten the entire batch using the Mr. Coffee method.

One time I had what I thought was a brilliant idea: Iced tea made with Earl Grey.

Don't. Don't even ask, just DO NOT do it. Bleah.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15201 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
My wife is a tea nut. Drinks all kinds of tea. I solve all tea related problems by NEVER drinking that cat pi$$ called tea. Of course I do have other vices. Smile
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Black tea lover here. Irish breakfast, Scottish Breakfast, English Breakfast, Prince of Wales or anything that states it is comprised of black tea from the Yunnan province.

Orange Pekoe, Roiboos (not with vanilla), Ceylon, the various Green teas and Darjeeling are also quite drinkable IMHO.

Earl Grey in a pinch but I don’t much care for its chamomile.

I prefer honey as a sweetner but as a managed type 2, I usually default to splenda these days.

No milk. Ever. Some Brit I met once, said I drank my tea like a “colonial”. I am ok with that.

Posts: 3141 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
Green tea with honey and a dash of milk here. Sometimes later in the evening I'll have a cup of CS Sleepytime Extra with valerian if I need to relax before bed. In the summer I grow my own chamomile for tea.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
My wife has a large cup of hot tea being refilled many times a day. She drinks it Russian style with spooned compote or honey. A pot of tea is made very strong from loose tea each morning then weakened with hot water. She has tried all the brands sold at the Kurdish, Japanese, & other ethnic stores. Her brand preference is loose leaf Lipton Blend found at some Walmarts in Nashville or Lipton Yellow Label Orange Pekoe. Also when tea bags are being used Lipton is the taste preference over all the more expensive brands.

Now that you mention it, I drank a lot of tea in Iran. I found it to be very good. Actually drove 50 miles round trip here in N. VA to lay hands on some Iranian/Kurdish tea.

I like tea, but the normal US brands do not seem to do much for me, or the mrs.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25641 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Elk, I have found that my favorite black teas are from Ceylon. Usually the middle eastern grocers have them for sale.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Anyone know of the Dekalb farmers market knows they have a tea section, and it is wonderful. So many different leaves

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
I used to have the same problem when I drank sweet tea. Most places in the north don't have it

I was always amused about the places down South (usually fast food joints), that offer "tea", and "unsweetened tea". Like they went to some special effort to "unsweeten" the tea. Smile

No such thing as unsweet tea... unsweet tea is just tea you ain't finished makin' yet!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of tea from Asia. Some from China, but the rest mostly notably from Vietnam, given to me by a female acquaintance.

I've had English tea in England, but considering culinary "presentation" is important, I'll take the Vietnamese tea as I was presented it. Smile

Posts: 4700 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Earl Grey Tea comes in lots of variations:

“Earl Grey tea is a tea blend which has been flavoured with the addition of oil of bergamot. Bergamot is a variety of orange that is often grown in Italy and France. The rind's fragrant oil is added to black tea to give Earl Grey its signature pungent punch.[1] Traditionally, Earl Grey was made from black teas, but tea companies have since begun to offer Earl Grey in other varieties as well, such as green or oolong.”

For whatever variety I STRONGLY suggest that any Tea officianado’s check out www.prestogeorge.com. Superb variety of loose leaf teas at excellent prices. Everybody that I’ve shared my teas from there with have reordered from them. Check them out!!

Look at the “specialty teas” in the top menu bar.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
Big fan of black tea. I keep Scottish Breakfast (Taylors of Harrogate) and my favorite Earl Grey (The Original Ceylon Tea Company) on hand all the time. With the Earl Grey, I prefer it made with just-under-boiling water, about a teaspoon of sugar, and a thinly sliced lemon wedge.

Posts: 1728 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Tetleys most of the time for me. PG Tips as well. My wife's place of employment sells this lovely loose leaf Earl Grey by One Love Tea that I really like. No milk or sugar for me however.

Posts: 7518 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Over in the Lounge the InRange TV gents won a Gloscar. In episode 8/8 of British food rationing they mention drinking Earl Grey. I do recommend watching the prior seven episodes.

https://youtu.be/UjxyChfHOX0

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I would just take your own tea bags and ask for hot water. Then whip out the tea bags. Big Grin

Then ask others in the area if they would like some real tea and make a big scene about it. Big Grin

One time a bar in Lynchburg did not have Frenches mustard for the pretzels so the next time we made a visit, we brought along a 32 ounce jar of Frenches mustard and had the bartender dish some out in dishes for others. My friend made a big scene about how good the Frenches mustard was compared to the cheap mustard they were serving. He had some of them do a taste test. Big Grin

Here is Matcha tea available at Walmarts now:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lip...Bags-15-ct/167863538

I drink about a quart of green tea a day and about twice that amount in the summer time.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post