SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Writing loose when the word is lose
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Writing loose when the word is lose Login/Join 
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
One of the biggest complaints people have here is about wreckless driving. Personally I think shortcomings in the educational system should be a bigger issue.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
That man is a cereal killer.

The man eats cereal every morning. So, what's the problem?

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
More fuel to this fire.

Payed.......(paid).

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Lack vs. like.

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“Where” and “were” are not interchangeable.

Neither are “ad” and “add”.

Nor “passed”, “past” and “pasted”.

Or “bred”, “bread”, and “breed”.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arfmel,

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
There, their, they're. Every thing is going to be all right.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whether the weather be cold, or whether the weather be hot, the weather's the weather, whatever the weather, whether we like it or not.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whether the weather be cold, or whether the weather be hot, the weather's the weather, whatever the weather, whether we like it or not.

But will a wether care?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PKFan:

There is no issue, as long as there are only 2 friends. Wink

That's the misconception. Neither refer to the number of friends, only to the specific nature of the friends. Incorrectly, the words are applied s "between" two, "among" more than two. Neither are correct.

posted Hide Post
From another thread...” I hope and prey.”

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

But will a wether care?

you'll need to weather through this thread to find out. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
From another thread...” I hope and prey.”

Said the starving hawk.

Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm in the minority, but none of these things bother me on an internet forum or in any other informal situation. If I can understand the person's point, I don't really care. At work, it's different though.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobandmikako:
I guess I'm in the minority, but none of these things bother me on an internet forum or in any other informal situation. If I can understand the person's point, I don't really care. At work, it's different though.

The problem is that these things start to creep into formal communication. Most people make no distinction between the two.
I have gotten emails that were flat out embarrassing given the originating party's lack of grammar and spelling.

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
In agreement with previously listed examples.

My contribution to this list is tread instead of thread. When you create a forum topic or post in someone else's topic, you are posting in a topic or subject THREAD.

quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
quote:
Originally posted by bobandmikako:

The problem is that these things start to creep into formal communication. Most people make no distinction between the two.
I have gotten emails that were flat out embarrassing given the originating party's lack of grammar and spelling.

Exactly right! I'm not opposed to informal conversations, and when in a hurry while trying to text on a small keyboard I've engaged in shortcuts myself, but the problem is that these shortcuts start to permeate other forms of communication that really should be more accurate and formal.

If someone obviously knows the difference in misspelled words I choose to not mention their choice, but the problems start to creep up when these mistakes start to become more common with more mainstream acceptance.

I'm disappointed in myself because while grammar was never my best subject, I once used to win spelling bees, but as I get older and find myself using computers and smart phones more I'm actually missing some of these errors that would have jumped out at me years ago.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
In verbal communication obviously it doesn't matter, but in written communication it demonstrates a lack of education...ignorance.

We're all guilty of it to some degree. Auto correct doesn't catch it, which is why you proof read and use a dictionary when in doubt before you press 'send'.

If it doesn't bother you, well that's jest find. Razz

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
This reminds me of gun guys who use the word fitment when they mean fit, b/c they think it makes them sound smarter.

You have to blame the automotive world--particularly the aftermarket side--for that misuse. Hell that industry has been doing it for so long that the dictionaries should've adopted the additional definition for the word by now, especially considering some of the words that HAVE been added into their books in recent years.

quote:
“Where” and “were” are not interchangeable.

Don't forget 'wear'.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I blame this on autocorrect in most post. People look for the highlighted/underlined words, rather than actually rereading to correct word use or grammar.

Ymmv
John

Posts: 476 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Stop saying elude when you meant allude.

On the plus side, I'm seeing less and less of weaponry and munitions being called ordinance. I might have penetrated a few thick skulls.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
Learn to spell with Darnell
This is "Learning to Spell with Darnell."
I be Darnell Jackson, and today we're gonna spell the word -July. Spell it with me now, J-U-L-Y.
Now let's use it in a sentence.
"After the trial, my mama asked me, did you tell the truth or July?"

This was funny as hell on TV years ago.

“Our actions may be impeded...
But there can be no impeding our intentions or our dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

The impeding to action advances action.

What stands in the way becomes the way.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Posts: 236 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: November 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post