SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Hotel tipping
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hotel tipping Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Not a big gripe. But the first day of travel is usually pretty hectic. And I guess I could prepare better / in advance. But I usually forget.

And so, while I'd like to tip the maid for preparing my room. And the busboy for cleaning up after my buffet breakfast (usually included with the room at the hotels I frequent), I forget to bring small bills.

I generally just use my CC to pay wherever possible and just use cash when needed. So, usually, I just have $20 bills in my wallet.

I wish I could just include tips on the hotel bill (easier to expense that way as well since tips don't have receipts).

Not so much a gripe as it is annoyance with the whole tipping model anyway. Travel in Korea and Japan is nice that way.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
annoyance with the whole tipping model

I second that.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
I agree completely.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I'd like to tip the maid for preparing my room. And the busboy for cleaning up after my buffet breakfast (usually included with the room at the hotels I frequent), I forget to bring small bills ... I just have $20 bills in my wallet.
I bet that you can exchange a couple of twentys for small bills at the front desk when you check in. I have done that.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I generally ask the front desk or bar for change. They know it's going to fellow employees and will be happy to do so.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
I hate tipping. When, how much, etc. I tend to over-tip, so I am not against tipping, the process just stresses me out. Japan blew my mind with the lack of tipping.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I didn't know bussers and maids are typically tipped, or are expected to be tipped.

If you're staying multiple days and get the same person again, you could double up, I suppose.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I don't mean to stir the pro-tipping hornets nest here, but I'm sorry...when they are charging $200+/night for essentially just a bed and a shower, I'll keep any extra scratch in my pocket unless and until I see some exemplary service.

I have no problem with tipping...when it's earned, but I don't go out of my way, like some, to tip people for simply doing their job.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I bet that you can exchange a couple of twentys for small bills at the front desk when you check in. I have done that.

I do that when I remember. But often times, I'll remember when I wake up in the morning. And then it's a made dash to get out of the hotel, wolfing done some food on the way out. Made all the more difficult if people are waiting in line to check out.

The solution is to prepare in advance before the trip. It's just never been top of mind. For years..... I just really prefer the Korea/Japan model w/out any tipping. Tipping is so annoying. And don't get me started on the hyper tipping in Vegas. Hate going there.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Cow tipping is easier.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
I could see where that would be annoying. Of course in the types of places I can afford usually you have to tip the clerk an extra twenty not to let the tweakers into your room. Or at least tip the street urchin to tap on your door to warn you of the imminent room invasion.

Seriously though, the only time tipping annoyed me was when I was in Montreal and a waiter "serviced the tip." Gave the guy a nukbuck for a 50cent coke and received no change. Hurt him in the long run because having worked in service I always tip at least 20percent for good service. Exact change it is Mssr. Douche. Don't steal and use shitty frenglish to tell me you're doing me a favor.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I don't mean to stir the pro-tipping hornets nest here, but I'm sorry...when they are charging $200+/night for essentially just a bed and a shower, I'll keep any extra scratch in my pocket unless and until I see some exemplary service.

I have no problem with tipping...when it's earned, but I don't go out of my way, like some, to tip people for simply doing their job.

While I am not so swanky to pop for the $200+ rooms, I am generally in the $125-$150 range and I totally agree with the above.

On top of that, I tend to be one of the most no-load customers they will have. I bring my own bags to the room and the “Do Not Disturb” sign goes on the door the first time it opens and stays there until I leave.

If I can sleep on sheets for 5-6 days at home without being changed, I can do the same in a hotel. About the only thing I need from housekeeping is some fresh towels, and I will get them off the cart as I walk by.

My tip is I just saved them from one of the rooms they would otherwise had to have taken care of.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating, sleeping and boinking. Everything else is just Filler.
Picture of terma-nator
posted Hide Post
quote:

Do you tip waiters in restaurants for doing their job? Housekeepers make so little money for doing a hell of a lot more work than any waiter, and are frequently forgotten when it comes time for a tip.

Remember that next time a waiter brings you a plate from the kitchen and you tip them $20.00

The housekeepers "only" made your bed and picked up your dirty towels from the bathroom floor that she also cleaned. Not to mention the toilet!

I love it here!

My Gun collection:
Too many to list. Lets just say that the zombies should look elsewhere.

Posts: 1671 | Location: Back in the good 'ol U.S.A. (South Fla) | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
I know a lot of people don't leave a tip for hotel housekeeping, but I do. And if I have to, I'll get change for a larger bill at the front desk in order to leave two or three bucks a night.

For me, it's a "There but for the grace of God, go I," thing.

Posts: 1265 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to tip housekeeping generously when Motel rooms were in the $30-40 dollar a night range. Single non-smoking room, senior discount. I would drop a five or more on the end table.

Today's prices I find in the $80-100 a night range with a 13-25% local/state tax attached.

Usually, same room but with jacked up pricing.

Housekeeping now gets $1-2, if the room is clean.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by terma-nator:
quote:

Do you tip waiters in restaurants for doing their job? Housekeepers make so little money for doing a hell of a lot more work than any waiter, and are frequently forgotten when it comes time for a tip.

Remember that next time a waiter brings you a plate from the kitchen and you tip them $20.00

The housekeepers "only" made your bed and picked up your dirty towels from the bathroom floor that she also cleaned. Not to mention the toilet!

Maids make at least minimum wage. According to a quick search, in 2012 they made an average of 9.41 an hour. That is pretty decent for unskilled labor IMO. Wait staff do not make minimum wage which is why I tip them.

I spend way too many nights in hotel rooms in a year to be dropping 5, 10 or 20 bucks a stay. If for some reason I leave a mess I will leave some cash but otherwise my room will be pretty clean and require minimal work. And I only let them in on the day I check out so they only have to clean my room once during my stay.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
It depends on how long I'm staying somewhere I guess, but typically if I'm only there 2-3 nights, I hang the do not disturb sign up and don't really want housekeeping in the room. Then, I either don't feel obligated to tip much, or at all.

Housekeeping at a hotel don't make cut wages like waiters at restaurants...

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BrianC
posted Hide Post
I leave a couple of bucks for housekeeping when I check out.

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am currently in a Florida hotel, which is charging me $34 a day plus tax for valet parking. Under the circumstances, I'm not all that inclined to pony up an additional couple of bucks each time the kid brings my car around.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
I am currently in a Florida hotel, which is charging me $34 a day plus tax for valet parking. Under the circumstances, I'm not all that inclined to pony up an additional couple of bucks each time the kid brings my car around.
$34.00 / day for parking? For that kind of dough I would sleep in the car.

I'm not even gonna ask how much the room costs.

I have stayed in hotels for less than $34.00 / day. Of course I'm old, and I remember when a loaf of bread was less than 25 cents and ten bucks would buy more groceries than you could carry.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post