SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Grocery Delivery Services: Does Anyone Use Them? They Stink
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grocery Delivery Services: Does Anyone Use Them? They Stink Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Once a month? How do you get dairy/produce/etc. that's good for a whole month?

There's some fresh stuff, like some meats and breads, that you could freeze. But that's not an option with every fresh grocery item.

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’ve been taking care of my bride at home much of the time since she got out of the hospital after her major surgery last September. I’ll admit there have been times when grocery delivery has been a great help. I haven’t asked them to deliver perishable foods though. I’m wasn’t optimistic enough to think they’d do a satisfactory job. This thread confirms my suspicions. Wink

Posts: 26891 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Once a month? How do you get dairy/produce/etc. that's good for a whole month?

There's some fresh stuff, like some meats and breads, that you could freeze. But that's not an option with every fresh grocery item.

Milk we get Lactaid in quarts. As long as you don't open the container (which is sealed under the cap) it's good for a long while. Even after opening, it seems to last longer than "real" milk.

Bread and fresh veggies we do have to supplement every week or ten days but that's a "hey, stop at the store while you're in town" deal. I usually wind up in town for one reason or another at least once a week.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15201 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I'm one of those independent contract delivery drivers/couriers - think uber but for picking up orders and delivering it to the purchaser. Home Depot, Tractor Supply, lost luggage, prescriptions, tires, auto parts, Best Buy, chocolates, flowers, paint, . . . . I refuse to do Walmart deliveries and grocery and restaurant food deliveries. There's no way to know in advance that you just earned the right to deliver 6 cases of water up to the third floor. And I'm not messing with anyone's food.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Those services are off my radar screen, no interest.

I have a Covid freakazoid relative, she’s always getting stuff delivered. I predict she’ll be broke before long too.

Posts: 6154 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Grocery Delivery Service? Never used it.

I live a mile away from a Super Market. Last year, I lived across the street from a Super Market.

Why would I pay extra for a food delivery service?

I often wonder these things as I'm delivering items that can be easily purchased at the market 2 blocks away. Then I remember that most of the people in this town are too chickenshit to step off their property for fear of being killed the big, bad Invisible Monster.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18022 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
As long as I am able to drive and walk, I'll schlep my own groceries. (I spent the second half of 2012 unable to do either due to an injury, but had other help.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27914 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Personally do not and have not used this service for home delivery or drive up pick up. Both the shelf picking for drive up pickup and or home delivery if done properly I can see it being a benefit for those that cannot easily shop for themselves due to possible physical handicap making extended walking and standing for a extended time frame or other possible mobility reasons. But for those that are too damm lazy to get off their backsides and shop for themselves well I guess that might be acceptable for some of those special people. ..................................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 1996 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm about to embark on an experiment in this field.

My elderly friends that are about 90% house-bound are slowly giving in to the inevitable and have found that shopping is just too much for them. I've been doing a little incidental shopping here and there as needed, just filling in the "bread and milk" needs.

I spoke with them today and she said they just can't manage any more and did I know of a delivery service? The answer is that the grocery store and WalMart are 30-ish miles from them, delivery is most likely not available and if it was it would be horrendously expensive. So I suggested an alternative:

She can call in her list, one to the grocery store, one to WalMart, pay for it with her credit card and arrange to have me pick it up the next day. Then I can make one trip to town with two stops, run it down to them and unload and put away everything. If I do that once a week, or every other week (TBD) they'd be covered, I wouldn't have to mess with finding all the stuff she wanted (she's VERY particular about brands and prices) and I'd be just a delivery service.

I can see some opportunities for problems with the system, but I'm pretty sure it's the best available option.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15201 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Well, I'm about to embark on an experiment in this field.

My elderly friends that are about 90% house-bound are slowly giving in to the inevitable and have found that shopping is just too much for them. I've been doing a little incidental shopping here and there as needed, just filling in the "bread and milk" needs.

I spoke with them today and she said they just can't manage any more and did I know of a delivery service? The answer is that the grocery store and WalMart are 30-ish miles from them, delivery is most likely not available and if it was it would be horrendously expensive. So I suggested an alternative:

She can call in her list, one to the grocery store, one to WalMart, pay for it with her credit card and arrange to have me pick it up the next day. Then I can make one trip to town with two stops, run it down to them and unload and put away everything. If I do that once a week, or every other week (TBD) they'd be covered, I wouldn't have to mess with finding all the stuff she wanted (she's VERY particular about brands and prices) and I'd be just a delivery service.

I can see some opportunities for problems with the system, but I'm pretty sure it's the best available option.
^^^^^ PHPaul I recant all the bad things that I have said about and against you. I salute you sir. ....................... drill sgt.

Posts: 1996 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yeah, different needs, for various people. I will say, there are a fair amount of the ‘shoppers’ filling the blue bins in our Walmart.

These grocery services really got a boost with Covid.

Posts: 6154 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
While I was in the hospital for Covid (Just got home Saturday Night), a friend and family member swept through the house and cleaned out my refrigerator of soon to go bad stuff.

My gracious neighbors got me some groceries, and are graciously bringing me a few cooked meals every day. They also made a grocery trip for me and got me some basics.

I've always been self sufficient and will be again soon as I continue to recover from Covid, just working on my lung capacity right now. This is weird, temporarily able to do as I've always done, and I am so thankful and grateful.

Anyway.

My preferred grocery store did not have any open slots yesterday for their grocery order grab and deliver.

So I tried Walmart Neighborhood Market yesterday morning. It worked "ok", they subbed 2 items and were out of stock of 7 basic meal items.

I am compiling a grocery grab and deliver from my preferred local grocery, They are very dependable, quality, etc. I'm sure I will get what else I need to have from them. I'm fine right now.

Anyway, who knows? I'd rather not use Walmart again, if I have the choice.

Soon, who knows? Couple weeks? I'll be able to get to the grocery under my own 2 feet and get what I want.

In the meantime, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

I never thought I'd have to depend on the kindness of friends and neighbors. They're busy, kids, lives, etc etc etc. But each and every one has offered, repeatedly, and get what I needed, inlcuding a pharmacy run.

Bottom line, if you need grocery delivery by the store, go for it. You can always call, while placing your internet order, and talk to the boss in charge of this, and that will help.

BTW, as a volunteer previously, some people WANT to help you. It's what they DO and they WANT to help you, or another. To tell them no, because of modesty shame etc, is silly. They NEED to help you, that's why they ask. (of course some people can't help, that's ok, don't push them etc, but treasure those who want to, are willing and able to and have their network who want to help too).

Thank!

Gene

Posts: 11836 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post