SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The "Giving" of Jobs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The "Giving" of Jobs Login/Join 
posted
I am partly responsible for hiring qualified applicants for specific security positions. The standards are quite high. I am frustrated by friends contacting me wanting me to "give" someone a job based on their being a "good person." I can't tell them but often their "good person" has felonies, warrants, multiple DUI convictions, domestic violence convictions, etc. It's especially frustrating when they get angry because I won't give their friend a "hook up."

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
That's a tough spot to be in. I've been a supervisor/manager for close to 10 years and been responsible for hiring. Luckily I've not had anyone ask me to hire anyone for them yet.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Before I left corporate america, my last 2 jobs were management level, and I was responsible for the hiring/firing of my own staff.

However, being in IT, and needing highly specialized talent, I didn't ever get the "hey, my buddy needs a job, he's a good person" requests.

In fact, if someone had referred someone to me, I probably would have taken a close look. Finding quality talent was ALWAYS a challenge, and continues to be so from what I've heard.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 81chop
posted Hide Post
Back when I ran the shop at a previous job, I had to do the hiring and firing. When looking through applications, the last thing I did is look at the names. I'm looking for someone that is qualified to do the job, not looking for a name to hire. I've had a couple of referrals, but the qualifications just weren't there. Didn't hire them and I didn't care what others thought.

We are in the business to make money, not to hand it out to someone that can't do the work I need.

When I did hire someone, they were put on a 90 day probation period. After 30 days, I talked with the person to tell them what they were doing good at, and tell them what they needed to work on. After 60 days, I told them again what they needed to work on. If they could not get up to speed by day 90, they were out the door. Didn't bother me in the least as I'm not there to babysit people and didn't have the time.

That was the best group of people I have ever worked with. I really miss them at times.

Posts: 110 | Location: Central WI | Registered: March 22, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think part of the problem is the stereotype. Everyone thinks security guards are dumb asses. Times have changed. There is a serious demand for high quality private security these days. Oh well. Probably just salty because of the stupid toilet.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I think part of the problem is the stereotype. Everyone thinks security guards are dumb asses. Times have changed. There is a serious demand for high quality private security these days. Oh well. Probably just salty because of the stupid toilet.

It is no joke (though a joke is coming, beware).....ever read through this (hilarious)?
The Shrine of the Mall Ninja

Posts: 1728 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I worked for a security company last summer. They made all kinds of noise about hiring high quality people. I thought I was getting on board with a good organization.
Wrong.
Low pay and bad hours. They hired the dregs. Awful posts. And a road trip (uncompensated) to get to post. On one post, they wanted me to check in by phone hourly to another post 20 miles away. You know, to make sure I was OK? I would call and no one would answer!
Now I am happily unemployed. Quite possibly the worst job I ever had!
And there was quite a bit of "giving" jobs going on. I once asked a guy who relieved me what his experience was. He said "Dairy Queen".

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I won't help anyone get a job anymore. Been burned too many times. Last time was a friend's wife. My wife got her a good job at the hospital in records. Woman made the office toxic, did everything inappropriate in the book and was telling people that my wife was a stuck up miserable bitch. Everyone that meets my wife loves her, from people to animals. It's almost annoying at times but stuck up miserable bitch is the furthest from the truth. The toxic bitch got fired a few months later thankfully.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I am partly responsible for hiring qualified applicants for specific security positions. The standards are quite high. I am frustrated by friends contacting me wanting me to "give" someone a job based on their being a "good person." I can't tell them but often their "good person" has felonies, warrants, multiple DUI convictions, domestic violence convictions, etc. It's especially frustrating when they get angry because I won't give their friend a "hook up."

You know if you consider criminal history you are just a "racist", right? Eek

Posts: 22888 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I'm not even in a position to hire someone and I barely have enough work for myself. I'm just a lawn mower and chemical thrower. Yet, I still have people get mad at me for not hiring their lazy boyfriend or nephew that doesn't drive.

I may not be an experienced manager but I can spot lazy a mile a way. I also have knowledge of your good person's continuing addictions and juvenile criminal record.

I must look really stupid.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[quote]I must look really stupid.

Post a picture and we will offer an opinion.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Years ago I was Director of Technical Systems at a large company. The president of a subsidiary passed along a resume from a gentleman that had recently left the military. I went into the interview thinking it was simply a courtesy and nothing would come of it. 5 minutes into the interview I was ready to hire the gentleman. It was my best hire ever. Sometimes it works out on the plus side.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Eric Holder specifically sued my employer for not hiring black felons to work warehouse security. The case finally died, I believe, when Holder left office. He used the "disproportionate" argument.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
I must look really stupid.

Post a picture and we will offer an opinion.
Listen here, rookie. The jokes come from this end, got that?

Big Grin (Ok, gotta give you points for that.)

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd be extremely reluctant to try and call in a favor like that even if I myself were looking for a job. Not a chance I'm going out on a limb for a friend of a friend I don't know.

I got every job I had in high school by working connections but flipping burgers or selling video games is a hell of a lot different than a security
job.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
Remember MBNA the credit card company? The internal joke was it stood for "Mothers, Brothers, Nephews and Aunts".
To be fair it was a GREAT place to work.

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 782 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post