SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    WTH? BCE/CE versus BC/AD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WTH? BCE/CE versus BC/AD Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
I guess being an old retired fart I've missed out on this contemporary change. Suffice it to say I personally find it abhorrent.

Seems the anti-religious forces have found yet another way to secularize a tradition.

First came across this in a YouTube video the other day which was discussing a number of historical events. My reaction was WTFO leading me to do a web search where I found this business stood for Before Common (or Current) Era and Common (or Current) Era.

I am so sick and tired of these leftist anti-religious asshats destroying foundations from what defines marriage, creating phony additions to the two natural genders, and shit like this. A pox of their houses! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
That convention has been used by many—perhaps most—historians for decades.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Seems the anti-religious forces have found yet another way to secularize a tradition.

Nailed it right here.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess being an old retired fart I've missed out on this contemporary change.

It has been in English usage since the early 1700s and came into wider usage by Jewish religious scholars in the mid-19th century. By the late 20th century usage was common in academic and scientific publications.

I remember it in high school in the mid-60s

quote:
Seems the anti-religious forces have found yet another way to secularize a tradition

The Common Era notation was devised by the Christian monk Dionysius Exiguus in the year 525 to replace the Era of Martyrs system

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Further: https://www.ancient.eu/article...bcece-dating-system/

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to 3:30 where he debates this topic and why he still uses BC/AD.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Jews prefer BCE/CE. Personally, I don't care.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Jews by convention use Before Common Era and Common Era. It kinda sticks in their craw to say Before Christ and Annum Domini (year of the Lord) as the demarcation line is the supposed date of Jesus ‘ birth. Most experts agree the birth of Jesus is a few years off the current timeline.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
BCE/CE versus BC/AD

I care just enough to write this post about how much I don't care. Razz It's just a calendar, not any kind of attempt to demean or diminish Christ.

Posts: 27836 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I kind of like the Julian calendar, first proposed by Julius Caesar. It is simply a continuous count of integer days, with partial days indicated by a fraction expressed as a decimal number following the Julian day number. There is no BC/AD or BCE/CE. The origin date (January 1st, 4713 BC) was chosen because on that date several celestial events coincided, and since it was prior to recorded history. Today is 2458763 on the Julian calendar.

It is widely used by astronomers, chronologers, and some historians. It is far easier to subtract one day number from another to come up with the periodicity of a comet, for example, where the number may span centuries. Easier than factoring in months with different days and leap years.

The Modified Julian day is more commonly used. Subtract 2400000.5 from the Julian day. This drops the millions (24) leaving a 5 digit number and moves the start of the day from noon (as in the original Julian calendar), back to midnight, UTC. So today's MJD is 58762.

I ran across this calendar in the logs of the Network Time Protocol, which records time stamps using the MJD, with decimal portions.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

I guess being an old retired fart I've missed out on this contemporary change.
I'm an older fart, not yet retired. You say "contemporary change."

How do you define "contemporary?" I remember this convention (BCE / BE) being in common use as far back as seventy years ago. Probably before then, but I was a kid and didn't pay that much attention to something that was very common.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post