SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    2 Piece Lug Nuts should be unlawful!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 Piece Lug Nuts should be unlawful!!! Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
They all swell and become a gigantic pain.
Had the issue on my Expedition and now on the Tundra.
Tried locating a one piece lug nut for the Tundra and was unsuccessful as my usual go to McGard does not offer them for the OEM wheels.
Gorilla is supposed to be good so I found a set for $120.
They are 2 piece but supposed to be all steel and not an aluminum cap like the OEM lug nuts so hopefully they will not swell and distort.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Seems like the only wheels that use similar lugs were the American Racing magnesium wheels from the '60s.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Seems like the only wheels that use similar lugs were the American Racing magnesium wheels from the '60s.

That is a different type of 2 piece. That style of 2 piece is more of a lug nut and a washer. The lug portion is solid I have them on my 1969 GTO.

The two piece I am referring to is the threaded portion of the lug then there is an external cap. The inside is hollow and the cap is usually aluminum. With heat and too many uses of an impact the lugs nuts swell and deform.
All the Ford Trucks and big SUVs use them since like 2009 or so. Turns out the 2007 and up Tundra use the same craptastic design.

————————————————

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Toyota alloy wheels have always used a nut with a shank and washer; the washer is captured and is wide and made of a hardened steel so as not to deform.

To the point of the OP, capped lug nuts suck when the cap gets deformed or falls off. The ones fallen off are actually easier to deal with, just use a socket one size smaller (e.g., an 18mm on the 3/4"). The deformed ones, if you can even get a socket over them, get stuck in the socket, sometimes having to be punched out. If they are too deformed to get a socket over it is even more fun. I had a Ford F-150 where almost all 24 nuts were like this. I said if I take these off it isn't leaving without new ones.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Yes, they do indeed suck.
Dodge used them on my Daughters 2007 pickup. Once I got them off they all got replaced with regular ones.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Yes, they do indeed suck.
Dodge used them on my Daughters 2007 pickup. Once I got them off they all got replaced with regular ones.

There in lies the rub. I have been unable to find a single solid one piece lug that fits the Tundra OEM aluminum wheel.

————————————————

Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Capped lug nuts are a PITA.

Black - I've no expirience with these (73147TXXB-20), but the description says "These are one piece lug nuts and do not come apart like the factory stainless steel capped ones."

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never knew this. Why would a two piece lug nut ever be used over a one piece? Why use them at all?

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:
Capped lug nuts are a PITA.

Black - I've no expirience with these (73147TXXB-20), but the description says "These are one piece lug nuts and do not come apart like the factory stainless steel capped ones."

These are what I ordered. Though that is the only place I have seen them referred to as one piece. Everything else I have found seemed to indicated the contrary.
Even looking at the pictures it is pretty clear there is a cap or there would be no need for the gap at the lip.

I think that site got fat fingered though. The proper number is 73148TXX
Wish I knew about that site earlier. I paid $10 more.

quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Never knew this. Why would a two piece lug nut ever be used over a one piece? Why use them at all?

Cost savings to the manufacturers even saving $1 a lug nut is probably at least tens of millions in savings to them.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
I guess I should go look at my wife’s Toyota. If they start looking bad I guess swapping them out early is a good call. Thanks. Learn something new every day.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I encountered these two piece lug nuts on a Ford fusion, which had a flat tire. The lady was having difficulty getting the tire iron on, I ended up using a mini sledge to hammer on a socket and then was able to loosen them.

Posts: 236 | Location: SDF | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. My 2015 Cherokee came with two-piece lug bolts.

Got those POS bolts switched out with some one-piece jobs the first time I rotated my tires.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
This rant is approved by me. I freaking hate those things. I didn't even use an impact on my first Jeep and the two piece lugs swelled, jammed, and came apart.

I moved into the impact world finally, and I still have a 3/4 impact socket sitting on my work bench with an lug nut jammed in it. I've tried literally everything I know to do, and I can't get it out of there. I will probably be getting a welder soon so I can learn to weld, and one of my first projects will be to weld that lug nut to something so I can wail on it a while.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
lug bolts.

These suck no matter how many pieces they are made from. Roll Eyes The wheel likes to fall off when you remove the last bolt, and the bolts are difficult to start while holding the wheel positioned when putting it back on. Why the European cars (remember who designed your Jeep) all do this, I haven't been able to find out. Pilot studs …

… make this easier. Take out two bolts across from each other, leaving the others in for the moment, run in the appropriate pilot, then take out the rest of the bolts. Now your wheel doesn't fall off. When putting the wheel back on, slide it over the pilots first, start and lightly run in the bolts, then take out the pilots and start the last two.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Lug bolts are a close 2nd in the land of craptastic. I had them on my Audi.
While it was a bit of a pain no where near the pain of a swollen lug nut that you can use again.

————————————————

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Had one come apart on my brother’s 94 Dakota a few months ago. Well, ‘come apart’ isn’t the right term. The outer bolt cover rounded. Torque spec is 90lbs or something. Was much over that.

Tried all sorts of crap. End result was using a lug nut remover socket. Huge pain in the ass. I ordered new nuts but haven’t put them on. I dread trying to get the rest off.

Need to order some solid ones for my Jeep.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Had one come apart on my brother’s 94 Dakota a few months ago. Well, ‘come apart’ isn’t the right term. The outer bolt cover rounded. Torque spec is 90lbs or something. Was much over that.

Tried all sorts of crap. End result was using a lug nut remover socket. Huge pain in the ass. I ordered new nuts but haven’t put them on. I dread trying to get the rest off.

Flip sockets are supposed to work well.
So far I have gone one size up and tapped it on and they came off then just had to tap a screw driver through the opposite end of the socket to get them out.

My new lugs arrived yesterday. Wife works all weekend so just me and the boys so it will be next weekend before I get to tackle the project.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

I spent a full day unfucking the drivers rear lug nuts on that truck a few years ago, had to drill out 3 lugs due to a tire shop using a torque stick.

If you don't already get some antiseize and coat the threads when you put them back on.

Sorry about dodges lugnuts

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post