SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    That's It: No More "News" For Me
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

That's It: No More "News" For Me Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
I'd already been at about the point of having had my fill of the low-grade entertainment billed as "news," so it was easy to just plain skip it the last couple days.

Was just in pouring myself a cold one when I inadvertently caught a bit of what was on TV.

*sigh*...

Decision affirmed: I won't be watching that nonsense on TV any more.

I used to be a news junkie. Two news magazine subscriptions, two newspapers, local and network TV news, and 60 Minutes on Sundays. What passes for "news" coverage these days is so abysmally, universally, execrably poor I'm now reading and watching none of it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I hear ya. I made the same decision myself recently.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Made that decision about 9 years ago. Welcome to the club!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I made the same decision in NOV 2012. I Get my news off the internet from a few non-lamestream sources and only in non video format. This forum included. I do not regret my ditching conventional tv media one bit.

Posts: 3147 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Local news for me...small town WV, real America.
I get national news here.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will tune into One America News in the morning while I get ready for work. The benefit of OANN is that they will only spend a few minutes on each story and just cover the news without opinions.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Me too, I swore all news off after O'Dumbo was elected mostly because I didn't believe anything after that, and the slant was blatantly obvious. I didn't watch hardly much TV anyway because there wasn't much spare time in my life back then. I finally got my sister to open her eyes to that stuff several years back and she finally gave it up. She's still hooked on Oprah though, a very serious addiction there, it would take some serious deprogramming to make her abstain from watching Smile She even said just lately how much better she feels not watching all the news and free's up more time for the important things in her life today.

I really pretty much trust Sigforum for anything worthwhile that needs reporting.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
Television news has devolved to nothing more than nonstop editorials from left wing extremists posing as journalists. They won’t be seen or heard in my home, as the cable has been cut for some time now.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
It will shock you how much better you feel, and how soon.

I haven't watched the news in decades and somehow the sun keeps coming up everyday regardless.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrewR:
I will tune into One America News in the morning while I get ready for work. The benefit of OANN is that they will only spend a few minutes on each story and just cover the news without opinions.

I'd give OANN a try, but SWMBO is balking at the $5/mo.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
The only time I watch local news is to watch for rough weather. National news is pointless, every bit as much for what they don't tell you as what they do. Being informed today takes an effort and the experience to understand what you can trust vs. what you can't.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I haven't watched CNN or any of the other lefty outfits for 10+ years (probably closer to 20), but I used to keep FNC on pretty much all day just for background noise and to keep the dog company when I was gone. I haven't watched that channel either in months. I just got so sick and tired of hearing Hannity drone on and on and on and on about the same old shit every day. If it wasn't him it was Megyn Kelly. If it wasn't her it was O'Reilly.
If it wasn't him it was Dana Perino, or Judge Jeneanne, or Guilfoyle, or Cavuto, or some other loud-mouthed opinion spewer masquerading as a journalist (and their guests talking over each other was even worse). Pretty much 24 hours a day of listening to one talking head after another. I couldn't take it any more.

Now I catch an hour or so of OANN and will occasionally watch Ledger, but that's it. I do like to catch the local 10PM news though.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Skeptic
Picture of Mike the Texan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I'd give OANN a try, but SWMBO is balking at the $5/mo.

If their broadcast journalism quality is anything like their website journalism quality I wouldn't pay for it. Internally produced stories consistently conform to the standards of Rodong Sinmun, and are often filled with grammatical errors. They carry Reuters for big stories, and those are a much better quality.

Posts: 220 | Location: Near a white sand beach. | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
You sound like me the day after the '12 election so:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/vD94dVu8lqQ

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I swore off TV about a decade ago. I don't actually own a television anymore.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
I swore off TV about a decade ago. I don't actually own a television anymore.

This is why I have 21.5k posts

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If their broadcast journalism quality is anything like their website journalism quality I wouldn't pay for it. Internally produced stories consistently conform to the standards of Rodong Sinmun, and are often filled with grammatical errors. They carry Reuters for big stories, and those are a much better quality.

You're not too far off the mark, OANN could never be confused for a polished news source. In many ways they remind me of the old college news stations with someone who can barely read the TelePrompTer and often messes up the pronunciation of a word. However, it beats a panel of talking heads confusing their feelings for legitimate news.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
There are other none sig forum news soruces?

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I don't tweet, but I've found it handy to use a Twitter feed to view select news sources. The two I subscribe to are OAN and BBC North America. Also I use an RSS reader (Vienna), mostly for Tech news, but also for OAN. There is very little overlap between OAN's Twitter bits and their RSS feed, which is more in depth.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... I use Twitter only for select newsfeeds, as well. (Mostly IT security-related.) Just added OAN(N). If I really like what I see there I may push for a streaming subscription.