SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Annoying words that are overused
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Annoying words that are overused Login/Join 
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Literally. Usually pronounced as ‘litchrally’.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People who use literally often don't know what it means. for example, "Trump is literally Hitler."

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Fitment. It isn't even a word. Something fits or it doesn't. Used way too much in automobiles and guns.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Transparent.

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Right?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Basically

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
Fitment. It isn't even a word. Something fits or it doesn't. Used way too much in automobiles and guns.

Yes, it's a word, but it's always used improperly, particularly on gun boards where people use it as a fancy way of saying "nicely machined" such as, "this 1911 has the tightest slide to frame fitment I've ever seen."

Definition is:

fitment (ˈfɪtmənt)
n
1. (Mechanical Engineering) machinery an accessory attached to an assembly of parts
2. (Furniture) chiefly Brit a detachable part of the furnishings of a room

This is a particular peeve of Para who has ranted about it in the past, even starting a thread to try to encourage proper use and eliminate the habit of misuse on this board.

It does NOT mean "tight", "finely machined", "nicely finished", "smooth action", "beautiful stock", etc.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12745 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Common sense gun laws and or measures.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Rare

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:

Yes, it's a word, but it's always used improperly, particularly on gun boards where people use it as a fancy way of saying "nicely machined" such as, "this 1911 has the tightest slide to frame fitment I've ever seen."

Definition is:

fitment (ˈfɪtmənt)
n
1. (Mechanical Engineering) machinery an accessory attached to an assembly of parts
2. (Furniture) chiefly Brit a detachable part of the furnishings of a room

This is a particular peeve of Para who has ranted about it in the past, even starting a thread to try to encourage proper use and eliminate the habit of misuse on this board.

It does NOT mean "tight", "finely machined", "nicely finished", "smooth action", "beautiful stock", etc.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/3960066844/p/2 Smile

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Thanks Q; I missed that one. Apparently it's a pet peeve of a lot of people around here.

(That little fact doesn't seem to limit is use, however...)

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12745 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Diversity

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Annoying.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Disrupt.

When used instead of change. Hopefully this goes away after 2018.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Racist: used so often, it means little to me. So tired of its use.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is a word, but it is usually used incorrectly.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fitment

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
It is a word, but it is usually used incorrectly.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fitment

Not a word, but I find this expression annoying - A day late and a dollar short. Razz

Q

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Rare

RARE

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
Horrific

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Game changer. Every damn TV ad has to use that?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post