SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Freegan ... Ok hippie
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Freegan ... Ok hippie Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
So my son comes home with an assignment to write an essay supporting "freeganism"

these are people who squat and dumpster dive, etc. They don't participate in consumerism.

When I was a kid we called them bums.

Its for a debate thing, some are for it and some against, so I'm not upset at the assignment, they are making them look at each side. But calling a bum a "freegan" is a joke

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I knew one of those once. He moved to Seattle and because a full fledged communist. Little Dougie. He used to wear his girlfriend's yoga pants.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
I don't think they necessarily equate, though I could never go that route.

Freegans aren't necessarily unemployed or homeless, nor do they actively seek out donations (at least from the very few that I've run into).

Basically, they are just folks that want to capitalize on all the perfectly good stuff that get's thrown out each and every day (food especially, since enormous amounts of usable food is discarded each day). I doubt you will see Fortune 500 members participating, but inasmuch as I have gotten some serious dumpster diving scores in my life as well as stuff I just found, I can't really throw stones. I'm more finicky in my eating habits but if someone wants to use that stuff more power to them. As long as they aren't trespassing (squatting) or stealing.

As far as defending it in a debate, I had to defend all sorts of dumb ideas when I debated in high school. It's not about believing them, it's about learning how to make a good argument. Defending dumb ideas can make you much much better at defending strong ones.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Dumpster Divers" in Tucson is one of the reasons I have a Micro Cut shredder.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I don't squat (at least in the living space sense...) and I sure as hell won't eat food out of a dumpster, but other than that, I'm a dedicated dumpster diver. I've scored a LOT of useful stuff out of dumpsters.

But then, about half the time, I come home from the transfer station with more stuff than I left with...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
As far as defending it in a debate, I had to defend all sorts of dumb ideas when I debated in high school. It's not about believing them, it's about learning how to make a good argument. Defending dumb ideas can make you much much better at defending strong ones.

I think that if debate was a required class then the world would be a lot better off. People don't know how to have a civil and fact based debate anymore. It is all emotion and insults.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I knew one of those once. He moved to Seattle and because a full fledged communist. Little Dougie. He used to wear his girlfriend's yoga pants.

Instant stardom in Seattle!

Freeganism. Huh.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCB42DDDXPI

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12349 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to dumpster dive an inflatable boat sales/repairs dumpster. Found a 9' Avon that required just one patch. Pulled another zodiac that was shot but for some reason they had replaced all of the fill ports with brand new stainless steel 2 piece OE Zodiac ports. Not only that, but they would toss out a bunch of survival rafts with all the survival kits in them. It was like freaking Christmas for me!

I would pull up in my truck, jump into their dumpster and start pulling out stuff out, getting nasty looks from the owners. They finally started locking it, dont know why?

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I don't squat (at least in the living space sense...) and I sure as hell won't eat food out of a dumpster, but other than that, I'm a dedicated dumpster diver. I've scored a LOT of useful stuff out of dumpsters.

But then, about half the time, I come home from the transfer station with more stuff than I left with...

Big Grin

I've scored some good shit at the dump too. Lawnmowers, skis, various appliances. I even picked up a 4-wheeler one day.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't eat food from a dumpster unless I was literally starving. But I used to "dumpster dive" the dorms on move-in/move-out days, back in college.

(Although there wasn't really any diving involved, since most kids were too lazy and just left it piled up next to the dumpsters and trash chutes anyway.)

Scored stuff like coffee makers, speakers, microwaves, lamps, etc. Most of which were still new in the box.

Rich kids whose parents bought them too much shit for their dorm room, so they tossed it out rather than finding a spot for it, or lugging it home.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
freeganism - or conventionally known as anarchist bums....

Freeganism is a practice and ideology participation in the conventional economy and minimal consumption of resources, particularly through recovering wasted goods like food.[1] The word "freegan" is a portmanteau of "free" and "vegan".[2] While vegans might avoid buying animal products as an act of protest against animal exploitation, freegans—at least in theory—avoid buying anything as an act of protest against the food system in general.

Freeganism is often presented as synonymous with "dumpster diving" for discarded food, although freegans are distinguished by their association with an anti-consumerist and anti-capitalist ideology and their engagement in a wider range of alternative living strategies, such as voluntary unemployment, squatting abandoned buildings, and "guerrilla gardening" in unoccupied city parks

Posts: 23241 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Businesses don't lock dumpsters because of divers, they lock them because assholes dump their trash in them, getting a free ride. Anyone who wants to root thru my trash is welcome, provided he doesn't leave a mess. Diving to recover furniture, etc is one thing, to get food another, and to protest capitalism and consumerism is quite another. The third group, to me, are much like raccoons.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Reducing consumerism is a great thing, aside from all of the hippie nonsense.

We (humans) waste far, far too much, and we spend far, far too much on disposable junk.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:

^^This.

Debate helps you understand that even a horrifically bad premise can be made to look good with the proper verbiage, and that poorly constructed arguments in favor of good premises can have holes poked into them.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post