SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I Was Burglarized
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Was Burglarized Login/Join 
posted
So I just got back from a 2 week vacation...first vacation ion over 3 years and discovered some low life got into my garage and stole my pressure washer, compressor, shop vac and numerous other tools totaling about 3000.00

Still not sure how they got in and waiting on police but I am pissed!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kevmo,

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Sorry, that sucks.

A few years ago I got up to leave for a trip to NC. Went out to my car only to find someone had tried to steal it. Busted up the dash/ignition and all. I think the chipped key saved me. I can't describe how pissed I was.

Stuff can be replaced.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Well that sucks. Sorry to hear. Hope they catch them and hope you have insurance.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Well that sucks. Sorry to hear. Hope they catch them and hope you have insurance.

I do have insurance for replacement cost with a $1000 deductible but it chaps my ass and I know the stuff is long gone

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear that. I've been meaning to install security cameras but I still just don't know what to get other than some requirements like high resolution, night vision, local storage. May just end up hiring the alarm company to recommend and install something.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
On some doors, the dirtbags push the top panel inward and are able to "grab" the disconnect handle and release the door opener.

One way to fix that is to safety wire or tie strap the disconnect.

If yo need to manually release the opener, you cut the wire/strap and then release using the pull handle.

The garage door manual slide latch can be used if you are gone for a period of time, to prevent anyone form easily opening the door when your gone.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
When I last replaced my garage door opener, I went with a LiftMaster unit that is wi-fi connected. Any time the door opens or closes, I get an email alert on my phone via the liftMaster app. Came in handy a few weeks ago when we were out of town and the door opened. I quick called the neighbor across the street to have them observe what was going on. Turned out to be my daughter came in from out of town unannounced but the door opener gave me the heads up in real time.

Also lets me program the door to close after a fixed time left open for the times when you drive off and forget to punch the closer. I can also look on the phone and see whether it's open or closed.

Sorry about your break in. I hate thieves!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sailor1911,

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
On some doors, the dirtbags push the top panel inward and are able to "grab" the disconnect handle and release the door opener.

One way to fix that is to safety wire or tie strap the disconnect.

If yo need to manually release the opener, you cut the wire/strap and then release using the pull handle.

The garage door manual slide latch can be used if you are gone for a period of time, to prevent anyone form easily opening the door when your gone.

It's looking like the dumb ass we had house/dog sitting might have left it open overnight....good news is they did not mess with wife's car or try to get in house

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Here is some information on what I am talking about.

https://lifehacker.com/5549366...nd-how-to-prevent-it

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I place padlocks through the rail just above the wheels when I am away from home.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^ lock or bolt and nut in the track...

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
but it chaps my ass and I know the stuff is long gone

That's what I thought when my expensive bicycle got stolen in Phoenix.

but I "called the man" with the serial number and two weeks later , the L.e.o.'s brought it back to me .

they raided a house and found over three hundred stolen items, thank god I gave'em the info.

They invited me over to see if there was anything else of mine in they giant pile.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And only a real asshole would steal a ShopVac.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Quick point of order- You were not robbed. You were the victim of burglary. Robbery is larceny or theft with the threat of bodily physical force, or actual physical force. IE- someone took your stuff with you at gunpoint or they beat the crap out of you and took your stuff. Burglary is to unlawfully enter into or to remain in a dwelling or structure with the intent to commit a crime. (Theft in this case)

Hopefully the cops can solve this. If you have serial numbers, it’ll go a long way to cracking it through electronic investigation.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Quick point of order- You were not robbed. You were the victim of burglary. Robbery is larceny or theft with the threat of bodily physical force, or actual physical force. IE- someone took your stuff with you at gunpoint or they beat the crap out of you and took your stuff. Burglary is to unlawfully enter into or to remain in a dwelling or structure with the intent to commit a crime. (Theft in this case)

Hopefully the cops can solve this. If you have serial numbers, it’ll go a long way to cracking it through electronic investigation.

You are indeed correct and I edited the post as needed.

As far as the local PD, they more or less told me that unless they trip over my stuff it is as good as gone

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

You are indeed correct and I edited the post as needed.

As far as the local PD, they more or less told me that unless they trip over my stuff it is as good as gone

You have serial numbers to enter into NCIC? If you had them, I wouldn't give up hope. Without going into a lot of detail, if the PD is on the ball, once the stuff is entered NCIC, they can be notified via email if any of it shows up on the pawn shop/second hand circuit.

Here's to hoping that the PD has some dedicated detectives that stay on top of stuff like this. (I cruise databases electronically every morning for 30 minutes looking for leads. I'm looking for gun stuff, but every other day or so I catch a power tool or something that is flagged NCIC that has been sold)

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Be sure and browse the local pawn shops. You may get lucky and find item(s) there. Don’t rely on the police exclusively.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
I place padlocks through the rail just above the wheels when I am away from home.

I did the same except I used a big vise grip and clamped it through the holes.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Be sure and browse the local pawn shops. You may get lucky and find item(s) there. Don’t rely on the police exclusively.

Craig's list too...

That sucks Kev.
I hope a nearby neighbor has a camera that catches a view of the street.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post