SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Car salesmen, not interested means just that.....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car salesmen, not interested means just that..... Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted
I left work tonight and checked my phone, voice mail message and missed call. Check it, local car dealership that I had do maybe four oil changes on two different cars, have not been back since 2013 or 2014.

The usual "we have someone that is looking for the car you drive" and the rest of the spiel that goes along with it.

So I call the dealership to politely tell them that I am not interested in trading and to please remove me from the call list. Sales "professional" then proceeds to tell me that "oh yes you are interested".

Unfortunately for him this tactic pisses me off to no end. I told him I am on a fixed income and have no want or need of a new vehicle now or anytime in the future.

So again he tried the "well why don't you come in and let's see what your Jeep is worth?" line figuring that I'm going to fall for it now.

To which I replied "Just take me off the list". Yeah, I would really want to talk to you especially after your service department blew me off after I asked for them to try and get some assistance from Chrysler for a just out of warranty problem. Which incidentally a different dealership got the problem fixed on Chrysler's dime a month later........

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Your mistake was calling them. Even if it was to tell them to take your number off the list, they didn't hear that. Just like they didn't hear anything else you said.

Best thing to do is to just hit ignore and let it go to voicemail where you can delete the message.

Or you can go the V-Tail route and ask what clothes they're wearing... Big Grin

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately as a new salesman, the dealership gives you a giant list of former service customers, new car customers etc. And, they make you call them and try to get people to come in and buy a car. Of course, about 1 out of 1000 people you call actually come in and the other 999 are pissed off that you called them.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
I'm a fairly patient person, most of the time. Sometimes my lovely bride forgets my name and calls me "Curt".Big Grin Particularly when I am not getting the treatment one should expect in that situation.

WHne I get the sales calls I start out with a polite but fitm no thank you. If the continue to call it will eventually escalate, 3-5 repepated calls depending on my mood at the time, to "Motherfucker do you understand english AT ALL? We're you born this stupid or did it take years of practice. Remove me from your call list, NOW"! Usually, i don't get bothered after that.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get direct mail offers, probably once a month offering a Target gift card to come in for an appraisal, chances to win prizes and more gift cards. Should be obvious that I am not interested, at least after, say three years of not returning to the dealership.

I've ignored their calls before but tonight I just politely tried to get them to take me off the list. Guess next time I will show up and speak to the General Manager and ask him if they understand what a do not call request is?

————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
I get direct mail offers, probably once a month offering a Target gift card to come in for an appraisal, chances to win prizes and more gift cards. Should be obvious that I am not interested, at least after, say three years of not returning to the dealership.

I've ignored their calls before but tonight I just politely tried to get them to take me off the list. Guess next time I will show up and speak to the General Manager and ask him if they understand what a do not call request is?

Then half the battle is done. They would have got you in to the dealership. Don't be that guy.

Posts: 3381 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Does that dealer have a social media presence? That's a goooooood way to get their attention.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I've got little patience for that kind of shit. Last time somebody (car dealer or otherwise) tried something like that on me, I can't remember exactly what I said, but it went like this if I remember correctly: "something something harassment, something something lawyer." Magically I got peace.

Until those fucking robodialers got hold of my number. Now I get almost daily "student loan debt forgiveness" calls (I don't and have never held a student loan).

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3352 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
The tactics are endless. They're also annoying as f*ck.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
"Looking for Steve? I'm sorry, he died last year. The car you sold him last year lost a wheel on the interstate and he died in a fiery impact with a fuel truck. It was awful. I was following behind and saw him screaming and writhing in pain as the flames consumed him and burnt him to a crisp. Have a nice day now. Please remove Steve from your call list. Every time someone calls for him, I immediately get flash backs to that terrible, terrible moment. Rest in piece Steve."

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paten,

No, the battle is not half over. It has not even started. I didn't work three years shy of a half century in car dealership fixed operations (non sales) for nothing. I know their tricks, the "let's lose the keys", the "shuffle you back and forth" and all the b.s tactics tried to beat a customer down.

I'm just getting annoyed by it all. I visited their service department because it was convenient to my at that time part time weekend job. I jumped ship and bought Jeeps because GM did not make a vehicle that met our needs and while I bought both of them from another one of our dealer group stores I wanted to establish a relationship with another dealership that was closer to home once I retired which I presently have done.

Their failure to act on my behalf with their factory rep and not returning my phone calls is what made me decide to not return.

And when I came home tonight there was a envelope from them asking me to bring my Jeep in for an "opportunity" to trade up. Those go into the recycling bin along with the hearing aid sellers,the AARP crap and every financial advisor in the world that solicits me for their workshops.....

I used to ignore incoming calls from numbers that I did not recognize. But lately I have found that one of my pharmacies, my orthopedic surgeon and my Cardiologist use numbers that are new to me. Not to mention that we are on baby watch with one of the daughters. So depending on the circumstances I might get a call that should be answered from a number that I have never received one from in the past. So I'm going to nip this s*** in the bud. And if I get another one the GM of the store will get a personal visit. Screw going to the sales manager, they are usually not around for long anyhow knowing the attrition in dealerships for middle level management.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Does that dealer have a social media presence? That's a goooooood way to get their attention.

Or take it a step further and reach out to the manufactuer but make sure you tap the dealer...it gets attention REAL fast.

I had a Honda dealer try and screw me on a service deal and I set out on twitter, I had American Honda sending me PM's by the end of day

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Paten,

No, the battle is not half over. It has not even started. I didn't work three years shy of a half century in car dealership fixed operations (non sales) for nothing. I know their tricks, the "let's lose the keys", the "shuffle you back and forth" and all the b.s tactics tried to beat a customer down.

I'm just getting annoyed by it all. I visited their service department because it was convenient to my at that time part time weekend job. I jumped ship and bought Jeeps because GM did not make a vehicle that met our needs and while I bought both of them from another one of our dealer group stores I wanted to establish a relationship with another dealership that was closer to home once I retired which I presently have done.

Their failure to act on my behalf with their factory rep and not returning my phone calls is what made me decide to not return.

And when I came home tonight there was a envelope from them asking me to bring my Jeep in for an "opportunity" to trade up. Those go into the recycling bin along with the hearing aid sellers,the AARP crap and every financial advisor in the world that solicits me for their workshops.....

I used to ignore incoming calls from numbers that I did not recognize. But lately I have found that one of my pharmacies, my orthopedic surgeon and my Cardiologist use numbers that are new to me. Not to mention that we are on baby watch with one of the daughters. So depending on the circumstances I might get a call that should be answered from a number that I have never received one from in the past. So I'm going to nip this s*** in the bud. And if I get another one the GM of the store will get a personal visit. Screw going to the sales manager, they are usually not around for long anyhow knowing the attrition in dealerships for middle level management.

Well, you know best. I just wouldn't want to set foot in there because it's what they want. I would have just lied to them and told them I sold the car already or that I couldn't drive anymore because of my blindness.

Posts: 3381 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recently, Chevrolet sent me a card in the mail offering a Yeti cup if I came in and test drove an Equinox.
I went in to the dealer, drove the Equinox and told them I had no interest in it.
The cup is on my kitchen counter right now.
Nice cup.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
thankfully I don't get more than a quarterly email from the dealership we bought my wife's Rav4 from.

The dealership that sold me my car stopped calling after I had a similar incident and told them where to go.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've taken to listing the number of a nearby prison as my contact number. I pay taxes, let the government handle it.

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My standard response to any unsolicited sales pitch is " Not interested " . That's it . Short and to the point . No cute story or insulting message . Just two words and hang up , walk away , whatever .

Posts: 4054 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post