SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    2 stitches, $7k?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 stitches, $7k? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I had a cyst in between my butt cheeks. It HURT like hell, very very painful, and I couldn't get into my primary in time for a referral, so I went straight to a proctologist that was on my insurance list. SO I made an appointment for Monday and this was Friday. I go in there, they told me my insurance wouldn't cover it unless I get a referral from my primary, I asked how much if I just paid cash for the procedure since I was in a terrible amount of pain $250. Ok, here you go.

So I call United health care, told them my situation and since I hadn't seen my primary that year, they made her my primary retroactive to the first of the year, so when I go in, 5 days later for a follow up, I tell them they can bill my insurance for it if they want.....So they billed my insurance around $1400, showed my $250 payment and I had to pay an additional $268!!!!!!!!!!! even though they would've simply taken the $250 before for everything. WTF. They told me, once we bill insurance that's how they have to do it and I'm responsible for the co-pays.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Unishot:
I went without insurance for a short period of time and paid cash for all of my and my wife's medical needs. Just about every place out there that we encountered were offing a 75% to 80% discount if you're paying cash.

While I haven’t seen these discounts this does reflect my experience.

I have been without insurance for over 2 years now. On the occassions I've had to go to a doc or urgent care, the first thing I say is: I don’t have insurance, I’m willing to pay in full today, what kind of a discount will you give me?

I pay 30-50% less and they love me because they don’t even have to send one invoice.

In addition, I tell the doc: Just do what you consider medically necessary and skip the cover-your-ass tests, labs, scans, etc.

They love it too. They get to be real docs, and not risk adverse bureaucrats.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianC:
I had a routine colonoscopy. My co-pay was $2,000. Even my doctor was shocked.

A co-pay of $2K for a scope?!

Most places don't even charge $2K for the whole procedure.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had a routine colonoscopy. My co-pay was $2,000. Even my doctor was shocked.

quote:
A co-pay of $2K for a scope?!

Most places don't even charge $2K for the whole procedure.

I just had one. $200 in labs. $300 anesthesiologist. $300 GI doctor.

$1,800 for the hospital's outpatient office.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I had a cyst in between my butt cheeks. It HURT like hell, very very painful, and I couldn't get into my primary in time for a referral, so I went straight to a proctologist that was on my insurance list. SO I made an appointment for Monday and this was Friday. I go in there, they told me my insurance wouldn't cover it unless I get a referral from my primary, I asked how much if I just paid cash for the procedure since I was in a terrible amount of pain $250. Ok, here you go.

So I call United health care, told them my situation and since I hadn't seen my primary that year, they made her my primary retroactive to the first of the year, so when I go in, 5 days later for a follow up, I tell them they can bill my insurance for it if they want.....So they billed my insurance around $1400, showed my $250 payment and I had to pay an additional $268!!!!!!!!!!! even though they would've simply taken the $250 before for everything. WTF. They told me, once we bill insurance that's how they have to do it and I'm responsible for the co-pays.

My new insurance is a high deductible plan, so it looks like I need to be asking any health provider two questions: What discount can you give me with no insurance and I pay today? Next, what's the cost if you file with my high deductible insurance plan?

Posts: 2366 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My new insurance is a high deductible plan, so it looks like I need to be asking any health provider two questions: What discount can you give me with no insurance and I pay today? Next, what's the cost if you file with my high deductible insurance plan?

The health provider better be careful, since MOST insurance contracts do not permit private contracting with the patient. I charge the same amount regardless. That practice is acceptable if the doctor does not have a contract with that insurance company. Medicare does not permit this practice.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The system is terribly borked now.

I once broke a collar bone in a motorcycle wreck and found a clinic to go to.

Refused pain killers, missed some work, but the Dr. visit was cheap. These days, without medical like I was back then, hello bankruptcy.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
There are some doctors now going into private practice who no longer accept any insurance billing. One such opened up in the town near me, and I know the dr, good one and nice guy. He sets a standard monthly fee and all visits, labs, are extremely reasonable. So, a lab charge could possibly cost $12 for you, when if you get it done normally, it’s hundreds of dollars. Might check out your area and see if there are any around like that.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, M1009. A few google searches guided me to direct primary care provider and some recent laws passed in many states allowing this model. It looks like this is spreading across the US and I see one practice nearby.

Posts: 2366 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks, M1009. A few google searches guided me to direct primary care provider and some recent laws passed in many states allowing this model. It looks like this is spreading across the US and I see one practice nearby.

Yeah it is called a concierge practice. You still need catastrophic insurance coverage for the hospital bills, but it is great both for the doctor and the patient. It is more common in affluent areas.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post