SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    "Rewards Cards" with < $10.00 left
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Rewards Cards" with < $10.00 left Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
I've got at least four right now.

Not much good for online orders and real inconvenient at restaurants.

I'll probably procrastinate on trying to use them up until they expire. Like usual. Mad

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
Use them at the grocery next time you stop in for beer and chips. Finish the sale with a credit/debit card. Plastic money at its best.

The issuers of these cards are planning on the fact that you won't use the last few dollars. It's like collecting a high interest loan for them. Free money in their pocket.

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 952 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im not above walking into a gas station and saying I need $4.78 on pump 4.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Good ideas, thanks guys.
Do the gas stations have to process these cards manually at the desk, not at the pump?

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will use them until there is a zero balance no mater what...I read an article a few years ago on how much the companies make on used balances and it is obscene

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If these are the generic reward debit cards, you can also get an Amazon gift card to apply to your account in the exact amount left on the card. If you have multiple cards with small amounts that can add up.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
If these are the generic reward debit cards, you can also get an Amazon gift card to apply to your account in the exact amount left on the card. If you have multiple cards with small amounts that can add up.

Exactly what I do.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Use them! It's money you're throwing away if you don't. I used one at a local chicken wing place that still had less than a dollar on it. I'm a penny pinching SOB though.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
If Florida is like California, you can cash out any gift card that has less than $10 at the retailer to which it's designated.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Ammo, cleaning supplies, etc.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1856 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I leave my <2$ cards on the counter for the next person. Most the time i have giftcards its to restaurants i wohldnt pay my own money to. Intentionally ring up as much as possible and ditch it.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
I have one with 9 cents left on it. I am too embarrassed to present it. Should I karma it off?

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Good ideas, thanks guys.
Do the gas stations have to process these cards manually at the desk, not at the pump?

Yes, because the way they work is the pumps pre-authorize $75 or a similar amount that they're programmed to automatically shut off at,then when the sale is completed they charge your credit card the actual amount, so the card you have will just decline at the pump.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
The last time I cleaned out my wallet/desk/glove box and had a bunch of low balance gift cards, I used them to pay my cellular bill. ATT is happy to process multiple micro-transactions online.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sousana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Im not above walking into a gas station and saying I need $4.78 on pump 4.

What he said lol.

I'm a travelling RN so I get around a lot plus I get $145 per day Mon-Fri per diem that goes onto the company Visa. What I don't use I lose so at the end of the day, after I've paid for gas and lunch I get the remainder on 2 pre paid cards, half on gas cards the other half on a Visa card. I've got tons of gas cards that don't expire, and as for the Visa cards, they are used to maintain my dedicated work vehicle, pay for insurance, tires and whatever maintenance is due. Good thing is, at the end of the year expenses are 100% deductable as this car is used solely for work.

When I get a card that's in the under $1 to under $4 range, I'll bundle them together and buy me something at Target or Walmart. They've learned to dread my arrival at the end of the month lol.

לפעמים אדם עונה גורלו על הכביש הוא לקח כדי למנוע אותו

Posts: 35 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post