SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I hate jet skis!!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I hate jet skis!!! Login/Join 
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted
I agree that everyone has the right to use the lake, but twice in two weeks now I've had my day ruined by the damn things.

Last week, I was anchored in the back of a cove fishing. Well off the main channel, in a place it's rare to even see another boat. Some jackass on a jet ski decides to buzz past us at WOT and then do donuts in the water about a hundred yards away.

Today, I've got the little boat I've been fixing up out on the lake. Had some fuel pump issues and couldn't go far, so we idled over to the bank. It's a nice little beach, plenty big enough for several boats and people swimming. We're in the water behind our boat and two jackasses come flying in on top of us, then set up camp 25 feet away. (Only one other boat on a 300 yard beach)
Then the kids started doing donuts and flying back and forth up and down the length of the beach about 100 feet or so off the beach.
They were within 20-30 feet of us several times, all at full speed. I packed our stuff up and left before I ended up losing my shit on the dad, who was just sitting and laughing at their antics.

I wished the game warden had been close by. They deserved a reckless boating ticket.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
8/0 treble hook and a 2 oz. bell sinker? Smile

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the problem is assholes, not jet skis.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not have a jet ski, but I think that you do not like Jackasses, not jet skis.

Just like it is not a guns fault for violence, it is not the Jet ski that is at fault.
When I had a boat, I felt the same way.

They do not think of others.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
No, the jetski is totally at fault. Otherwise seemingly normal people turn into complete assclowns ass soon as they get on one of those confounded pieces of shit.

I had words with some asshole last year. I was going 60 on the water in a 20 foot, 3500# boat. He crossed perpendicular to me about 100 yards in front of me. Had he fallen off, he would have been dead. When I found him later on the beach, he nearly was.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I hit a kid on a jet ski in 1998.
He took off from an island, overtook my 18' bow rider, and slammed my bow then rolled under my boat.
I had time to yank the lever into neutral and hunt for the kid.
He surface just behind my boat unharmed.
The jetski busted my hull by the side bumper.
The father was screaming at me for not watching after I hauled his kid aboard and brought him to land.
The marine patrol unit informed him his son was at fault. Ticketed him for unsafe boating and the father for not being on board the jet ski while his 14 year old operated it.
Then it was my turn. I demanded he pay for my boat right there.
But I got asked to calm down and was given information to contact them as it was a civil matter.
And of course all his information was out of date and I couldn't find him to seek restitution.
White trash with a jet ski.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Sounds like the problem is assholes, not jet skis.

yeah.

I bet it sucked, regardless.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
No, the jetski is totally at fault. Otherwise seemingly normal people turn into complete assclowns ass soon as they get on one of those confounded pieces of shit.

I had words with some asshole last year. I was going 60 on the water in a 20 foot, 3500# boat. He crossed perpendicular to me about 100 yards in front of me. Had he fallen off, he would have been dead. When I found him later on the beach, he nearly was.

Been hit by a jet skier. Ran right into the back of our boat.

I have ridden jet skis a number of times. I am (was) a very safe boat captain who gets annoyed by their antics. I will tell you this I have found myself unaware of my surroundings and not paying attention to things while riding one.

It is the damn jetskis they are fun because of their tight turning radius, quick acceleration, and high speed. These things all lead to even experienced boaters losing track of surroundings and forgetting there are others on the water. Throw some idiot on there and the problem is 8,000 times worse. They should not be allowed within 200 yards of boats and should be ticketed for violating no wake zones.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Try looking out for them when landing a float plane. You scan the area and then they pop up out of nowhere. Keeps life interesting.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
We call them "lake lice". Never ceases to amaze me that they have no concept of what it's going to feel like being run over by a 10-25,000 pound sailboat.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2016 BMW S 1000 XR. The Beast of Bavaria. And have ridden all my life. Snowmobiles too, sometimes.
I rode a jet ski. Once. Just once. Scared the crap out of me.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
They regularly follow me when I'm towing daughters on a tube. They like to jump the wake and such.

More than once I've had to stop the boat and wait for them to get a clue and leave. I'm afraid if the girl(s) fall off the tube, they'll get run over by the jet ski...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
To those that say it's jackasses I have a problem with, you're correct. I've just seen regular people turn into complete idiots when they get on a jet ski. Or even worse, turn a kid loose that has no business on one and let them ruin the day for anyone nearby.

It just seems like every time I'm on the water, the same thing happens. I go to the lake to relax, not be aggravated and irritated by a couple of people who don't give a crap about anyone else.

Yeah, I get it that it's fun, but move it off the beach a little ways. When the wake is causing boats to bang together or pull loose from mooring lines, something's wrong.

Last year, the island we usually go to had several boats damaged because of the wake of a jet ski doing donuts right off the beach. I thought the kid was going to get an ass whipping, but he didn't come back to the island. He had about 5 very pissed off boat owners waiting on him.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back when they were only stand ups the lake I grew up on banned them due to the amount of complaints and issues sane people trying to enjoy the lake had with them. They originally tried giving them a desecrated area however that didn't last long.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No different in the ocean. I will go out free diving early in the morning, nice an quiet. Then the PWC's show up. I've avoided being run over more than once!

All they do is go up and down the coast, WOT.

Worse, the fuck sticks will jump wakes in the inlets, I have had to come to a complete stop a few times to avoid running the fucks over. There they sit, looking up at you without a clue of what the proper navigation rules are!

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
This whole thread is how I feel about motorcycles. Razz Loud obnoxious machines weaving in and out of traffic and going by my house all the time at 100+mph doing wheelies.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I was an attorney for an insurance company that insured jet ski rental places in florida. The level of stupidity that can go on with one of those things is terrifying. Had a guy get T boned by his friend and had his leg almost cut in half.

Good times. At least the depositions were all in nice beach side hotels.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I have a 2016 BMW S 1000 XR. The Beast of Bavaria. And have ridden all my life. Snowmobiles too, sometimes.
I rode a jet ski. Once. Just once. Scared the crap out of me.

That's funny - my wife distracted me from wanting to get a bike years ago with a PWC.

"Hey babe - look over here - that looks fun and is FAST!!! And I ride with you in a little bathing suit. And the lake isn't THAT busy everywhere...."

Probably a good plan in the end, as no matter how many times we got thrown the only damage was pride and a couple pair of shades.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Ever seen a depressed person on a jetski?

Me neither.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
this what you do with a jet ski and pump , it's the new rage in new Zealand.
I'm going to build one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtE2ESpIAp8

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post