SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Whatever Happened To Tire Discount's Excellent Customer Service? UPDATE on Page 2
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whatever Happened To Tire Discount's Excellent Customer Service? UPDATE on Page 2 Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
I have — no, make that past tense, I had — the road hazard etc. warranty from Discount Tires. It was $100.64 for four tires, and includes lifetime rotation and balancing.

The local store is moderately busy, so I went to the website and made an appointment for rotation and balancing. 1:45 pm appointment. Got a confirmation number.

Showed up at the store ten minutes early and was informed that the wait, before they would start on my car, was “up to an hour.”

Dude — I have an appointment.

Well yeah, but it seems that they over-commit on appointments, and any walk-ins that show up before my appointment time are handled first.

Not wanting to sit my sore ass (I had the prostate biopsy earlier today) on one of their hard, unpadded, plastic chairs for “up to an hour,” and if they quote that the wait will likely be longer, plus the time for actual service, I was not A Happy Camper.

Store guy and I did not see eye to eye on the definition of “appointment.”

Since I had never, up until today’s attempt, used the service, I explained to him that I expected one of two things: either you start the job at the appointed time, or you cancel the service that I had bought and paid for and give me a refund. In full.

He did not like either of those options, so I offered a third one: small claims court.

He decided to refund. But wait, that’s not all. The refund can only go to the credit card that I originally used. I have another rant thread in this section re the miscreants who tried to use that card for a $300.00 purchase. CapitalOne cancelled that account and issued a replacement card with a different account number.

Discount Tire Dude would not apply the refund to the new card. They issued it to the old one. I contacted CapitalOne customer service and they said that there was definitely no activity re a $100.64 refund that could be linked to the new card. The attempt at refunding to a cancelled card probably went into high orbit someplace.

My options at this point: Dispute the original charge directly with CapitalOne, or make good on my offer to take it to small claims court. Third option, wait a bit to see what the response is to the letter I wrote to Bruce Halle, the founder and current Big Kahuna at Discount Tire.

Aggravated does not begin to describe this. What the hell happened to Discount Tire? For two or three decades, they have been my sole source for tires, both for family vehicles and also for business delivery trucks. Customer service was always excellent. Not any more.

I guess Costco will get all my tire business in the future. Either that, or TireRack.com, with tires shipped to the independent shop that maintains our vehicles.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: V-Tail,

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Discount Tire is down to the local manager how things are run. My local one, used to be run like shit. They broke a wheel stud on my STI. And boy was the manager pissed when I took it to Subaru to fix. His quote was something like "You couldn't have gone anyplace cheaper?"
I said hell no. Your worker's bs so I'm going to who I trust.

That a-hole has since been replaced with a new manager, who understands customer service, understands to not overuse the power tools, and that I don't want my wheels not lug nut holes scratched. I've bought three sets of wheels from him this summer and the service has been outstanding. So go to another DT location or pursue corporate.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have already cancelled the service, although the refund seems to have disappeared. I do have a receipt for the refund.

Since their computer network will not show me as having the service, there's no point in going to another location, in addition to the fact that this is the only location that is moderately convenient.

Who knows what the policy will be at a second, or maybe even a third, location? Nope, not gonna waste my time with that.

As far as corporate, yes, that's what I did. A two page letter to The Top Dog. We'll see what happens. Both Costco and the independent service shop that I use are much closer to home. And the independent shop is owned by a guy who likes P229s in .357 SIG, so it's a good shop, right?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Odd timing. They just damaged the exhaust system on one of my cars doing a rotation and balancing. They put a center lift on the exhaust. However I did get them to pay for the repair. They did lose my business in the future though, just bought a new set of tires at Costco for my pick em up truck. Bye, Bye Discount Tire..

Posts: 137 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: February 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I have already cancelled the service, although the refund seems to have disappeared. I do have a receipt for the refund.

Since their computer network will not show me as having the service, there's no point in going to another location, in addition to the fact that this is the only location that is moderately convenient.

Who knows what the policy will be at a second, or maybe even a third, location? Nope, not gonna waste my time with that.

As far as corporate, yes, that's what I did. A two page letter to The Top Dog. We'll see what happens. Both Costco and the independent service shop that I use are much closer to home. And the independent shop is owned by a guy who likes P229s in .357 SIG, so it's a good shop, right?

On my DD I went to Costco to get those Bridgestones. They've done a good job so far, and you can do online appointments. Best of luck to you sir.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I used to buy my tires at Costco but I could never get in for rotation. I bought the last 2 sets at Discount and they've been great. In fact they just rotated and fixed a flat on my new Mazda with factory tires at no charge.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Coworker just went and had new tires put on his '03 Camaro. They jacked it up wrong and bent something. He went back and the manager set him up at a very good body shop and will pay for repairs. So I guess it must be store to store.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My last trip to Discount Tires was for new tires on my wife's car. 9:00 appointment. They didn't touch the car until 10:45 and they finally finished at 11:40... I was not happy and the manager didn't seem to care. What's the point of appointments if they don't honor them??? Discount still beat 4 Wheel Parts, 9:00 appointment, finally left at 12:45. I was somewhat entertained listening to the pure bullshit the sales guys would tell customers.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1210 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I've been pretty happy with the local one here I bought my tires. I only made an appointment once but they saw me pretty close to the scheduled time. It was on a Saturday and I only made it that morning so I was okay with a short wait.

All the other times I have walked in and they have been pretty fast. They impressed me enough with their price and service on my Explorer that I went back for my Sonoma and plan on using them for all other tire needs I have.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Great. They are new to the OKC market, building stores all over. I just made my very first tire purchase from them last Saturday. I hope I have no troubles with them.

I hope you get satisfaction. See if you can post your complaint on social media.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I keep getting harassed by the local Toyota dealer to come in for oil changes and other service because I haven't been back in a while. Appointment times were useless, their car wash was damaging half the vehicles they put through it and the scam artists tried to sell me a $1300 set of tires 6 months before I even needed them. Got a set of Hankooks at a local tire shop for $700.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had hit or miss service at Discount. Most of the time it is good, fast and friendly and in fact I took my wife's car (with original tires) in for a rotation and balance fully expecting to pay and they said it was NC.

The one gripe I have with them is that I went into one particular location for a pressure check and been hard sold that I would die a painful, firey death if i didnt get new tires within the hour even though i still had plenty of tread. I left and just avoid that location

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
....TireRack.com, with tires shipped to the independent shop that maintains our vehicles.

What I did for years when I lived in South East Pennsylvania. TireRack had a warehouse in Bear Delaware, so shipping sometimes was overnight to me. Took tires to independent MB/Audi tech for install and balance.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have — no, make that past tense, I had — the road hazard etc. warranty from Discount Tires. It was $100.64 for four tires, and includes lifetime rotation and balancing.

The local store is moderately busy, so I went to the website and made an appointment for rotation and balancing. 1:45 pm appointment. Got a confirmation number.

Showed up at the store ten minutes early and was informed that the wait, before they would start on my car, was “up to an hour.”

Dude — I have an appointment.

Well yeah, but it seems that they over-commit on appointments, and any walk-ins that show up before my appointment time are handled first.

Sorry to hear about the hassles with the financial part of it.

The Discount Tire we go to hasn't honored an appointment time in years, there is always at least an hour wait BEFORE they get to the vehicle.
It's even worse than making an appointment at the doctors office.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I suggest you read the horror story reviews about Costco's tire service. I've been shopping for tires and there's no way I would put up with what I've read about Costco's service.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Discount Tire here on the north side of Atlanta has done pretty well by me, usually the Woodstock store. It must be a store manager problem.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
UPDATE: As I said in my original whining post, Discount Tire applied the refund to the credit card where it was originally charged. This is a card that had been cancelled a week or so earlier, due to fraudulent activity.

When I checked in with Capital One they said that they saw no sign of a credit from Discount Tire and it might never appear on the new card.

Well, here it is a few days later; I just looked at the Capital One website and, YAY! the credit has found its way to my new card.

So, at least that much has been resolved. Now I'm waiting to see if I get a reply to the letter that I sent to Bruce Halle, the Big Kahuna, Top Dog, etc. at Discount Tire's headquarters.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
UPDATE: As I said in my original whining post, Discount Tire applied the refund to the credit card where it was originally charged. This is a card that had been cancelled a week or so earlier, due to fraudulent activity.

When I checked in with Capital One they said that they saw no sign of a credit from Discount Tire and it might never appear on the new card.

Well, here it is a few days later; I just looked at the Capital One website and, YAY! the credit has found its way to my new card.

So, at least that much has been resolved. Now I'm waiting to see if I get a reply to the letter that I sent to Bruce Halle, the Big Kahuna, Top Dog, etc. at Discount Tire's headquarters.

Executive reply or not, at least the financial portion got straightened out so that is good news.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve 22X:
Executive reply or not, at least the financial portion got straightened out so that is good news.
This is true, and I am glad about that.

However, what I am seeing here on this thread, example being one member who had a 9:00 am appointment and the work did not get started until 11:45, along with many negative comments for the same type of thing on other websites, I am guessing that we are just seeing the tip of the iceberg.

Discount Tire seems to have a widespread problem with this aspect of customer service and nothing is going to get fixed without a mandate from the top. Even then, the problem might persist, but it's worth a try.

I'm beginning to thing that the best solution might be to order tires from TireRack.com, drop-shipped to an independent service shop for mounting.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
I've used Discount Tire for about 20 years and probably bought 20 sets of tires from them. I'm always impressed how the employees run from job to job. They are always busy, but always hustle. I noticed the last few times that the store manager was from another store I used to live closer to. So, I assume they treat their employees good and appreciate the long term, career type people that dont mind working hard.

Posts: 238 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: October 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post