SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Daughter's Employer Needing Doc Note
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daughter's Employer Needing Doc Note Login/Join 
posted
I understand that a serious medical condition, injury or absence requires a note to either be excused and/or return to work and I also understand that in places that employee high numbers of teenagers they need to curb kids calling in sick...trust me I get it.

That said, my daughter's employer has recently started requiring a Doc note for any and all call ins....The first time this happened I was afraid she had the flu so i had very little issue with taking her to the Minute Clinic to get a swab done but this weekend just pissed me off.

Daughter closed Saturday night and had complained to her boss (asked to be cut early) about her stomach bothering her. She had to stay and muscled through until closing then came home and went right to bed. About 3am she came into to our bathroom and began puking, this was on an off all morning and she finally fell back asleep. About 2pm she woke up and called her boss to let her know she might not be in and was told that's fine but you must have a note. I lost my shit and if it wasn't for daughter begging me not to embarrass her I would have called her boss my self. We did not get note as it was Sunday afternoon and there was a 1.5 hour wait at minute clinic but boss texted her this am and said she needs it. Now we are just going to do a "virtual doc", waste a $35 copay all to humor this crazy bitch.

Keep in mind my daughter has called in sick twice in 2 years, gotten nothing but stellar reviews and be a good employee. I know rules are rules but when you have en employee who is obviously not feeling well on their shift and then sick the next day I think there might be wiggle room...did I also mention this is a restaurant that is more or less encouraging kids to come in sick?

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The managers are often not much older than your daughter and lack the ability to make sensible decisions. It may be time for your daughter to find other employment.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
did I also mention this is a restaurant that is more or less encouraging kids to come in sick?

Let her go to work and barf on everything.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
quote:
did I also mention this is a restaurant that is more or less encouraging kids to come in sick?

Let her go to work and barf on everything.

HA! That is exactly what I said

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
The managers are often not much older than your daughter and lack the ability to make sensible decisions. It may be time for your daughter to find other employment.

True but honestly, she has to suck it up for 6 more mos and then will be off to college...this job has done exactly what it was supposed to for her: Taught her that sometimes people suck, customer service, how to deal with adversity, money management and overall responsibility.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
This is yet another example of an industry that is still stuck in the 19th century (not 20th century --- 19th) with how they treat workers.

This is one of the reasons I fled the foodservice/restaurant world and never looked back.

People working sick, people working hurt, physical and mental abuse...and all with NO BENEFITS!

There's a reason why it's all Hispanic immigrants now, the life is brutal but still LESS brutal than what they came from.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PASig,

Posts: 33606 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Her coworkers are egg sucking dogs.

When I worked those types of jobs, I only called in sick if I was sick. One, I needed the money and didn't get paid if I didn't show up. Two, I wanted good references in the future. Three, I was brought up to do my best in everything I did.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
That’s ridiculous. What if the person doesn’t have health insurance? Then they’re out money for a doc and a day of work.

Multiple incidences in a string? Yes, a note would be appropriate.

Every occurrence? That’s plain stupid.

If it we’re me at that age and working that position, I’d ask the doc to write that any future incidents are due to sickness. Or I’d forge a doctor’s note with a fake doctors name Wink

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I called off sick since Tuesday for my daughter. Work says I have to bring a note. So I wrote a note myself that says you can wait for all the hospital bills and pay them if you don't believe me.
In 21 years I have called off sick four days. Now they question me??!

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Kevmo:

Food service is mercenary work. She has a manager or is very frustrated by others taking advantage.

Or....are you in a state where they recently enacted paid days off for hourly employees? They just passed that here in Minnesota it's a shitshow.

All that said...it will not get any better for her. Food service is desperate for quality employees, advise her to find a new gig where she feels valued. If she is worth her salt, they will take very good care of her.

I know of what I speak.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
What's the company policy on sick time? I've never worked in the service industry but my jobs have required a doctor's note only when I called off sick for 3 days in a row.

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually asked her to get a copy of the handbook so i can see it in writing and I also have made a hi res scan of Dr note which can be handily edited for any future occurrences

The NP at minute clinic thought this was assanie as well as there was quite literally no reason to be there expect to collect a $35.00 note/

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've puzzled them a time or two at work by saying... "If I was well enough to go to the doctor, I just would have come to work."

Really pisses me off when I have a cold. I'm staying home so as not to get everyone else sick. I'm not going to go to the doctor so they can tell me they can't really do anything for me. Roll Eyes

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Better yet, have her work to find a job outside of food service some day...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Better yet, have her work to find a job outside of food service some day...

She is headed to college in the fall to chase poli-Sci/Law and was just voted by her senior class "most likely to become President"....she knows this is just another rung on her ladder

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
It'?)s not just food service. My ex-supervisor would whine and complain if anyone would take the day off for illness, his famous line "I don't take days off, I come in". Yeah, and infect everyone else with your plague. I kid you not, he complained when I took the afternoon off before a colonoscopy to prep for it, 7 A.M. the next morning. He literally expected me to work after drinking that cocktail.

One day my Cardiologist started having me take Niacin. Went to work, started itching all over, one of my co-workers said "Dude you're beet red". Called my doc, he said "Immediately leave work, go home, take Benadryl (50mg maybe) and go to bed and stay there.If anything else happens, go to the hospital immediately." I walked into his office and said, "I'm leaving immediately, any questions call OUR doctor" He uses the same Cardiologist as I do, I referred him.

Hope my Cardiologist forgives me.......

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My work started doing that but it was quickly brought to an end.

They said "You must have adequate medical documentation". People started handing in medical docs along with the bill for the copay. Arbitrator ruled that since they asked for the medical documentation, they were on the hook for the copay.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
All my employers have been 3 consecutive days calling in sick.
However, it was challenged by two employees, and HR actually had their back.
They did not call in sick, they just called in without providing a reason. Since they called in, technically it was not job abandonment, until the 5th consecutive day, per the company policy. Lol

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Simple solution is for your daughter to get a receipt from you Minute Clinic and submit that receipt to her boss for reimbursement. BTW, the reimbursment probably won't happen but it will enforce the notion that this policy does cost each worker funds out of their own pocket.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Simple solution is for your daughter to get a receipt from you Minute Clinic and submit that receipt to her boss for reimbursement. BTW, the reimbursment probably won't happen but it will enforce the notion that this policy does cost each worker funds out of their own pocket.
Ulsterman posted this, a couple of posts above yours:
quote:
"My work started doing that but it was quickly brought to an end.

"They said 'You must have adequate medical documentation.' People started handing in medical docs along with the bill for the copay.

"Arbitrator ruled that since they asked for the medical documentation, they were on the hook for the copay."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post