SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Daughter's Employer Needing Doc Note
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daughter's Employer Needing Doc Note Login/Join 
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Your daughter has to handle her own boss. They didn’t hire you, they hired her.
I think once or twice I’ve had another family member try and intervene on behalf of the person I employed. Those folks didn’t last. As I said, they didn’t hire you, they hired her.
That being said, I spect a lot of her previous and current coworkers have made the situation what it is- lawsuits, etc, so and so treated someone else “special”, but I had to bring a note.
We don’t typically require dr notes, just a phone call unless we are into consecutive days, but so many try to text- wtf. Pick up the phone and talk to me.
It’s frustrating on both ends, believe me, but if you/she doesn’t like it, vote with your feet. Easy enough, and there are plenty of employers out there looking for good employees.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
It's probably not her boss, but her boss's boss and/or company policy. Most business managers are key monkeys. They lock and unlock the doors, count the money, schedule employees, and place orders. They aren't really allowed to make any decisions.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15693 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, the employee needs to handle this.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
The managers are often not much older than your daughter and lack the ability to make sensible decisions. It may be time for your daughter to find other employment.

I saw some symptoms of this crap many years ago in IBM. Dipshit managers who thought that the title mad the some kind of minor god. Invoking shit that was truly stupid, and in some cases against company policy.

And, over the years, it has only gotten worse in the general market place.

Putting people in management positions who have no idea of what a manager should do, but seem to figure since they are now a manager they can do any thing, any time, they want.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been on the flip-side of this situation.

My verbal policy was: If you're sick enough to not make it in, you're sick enough to go to a doc.

(This was security, NOT food service. This particular post was sitting at a desk filing paperwork...minimal effort required).

Once in a blue moon someone would come in rather than see a doc. They'd get sick, I'd send them home, no further action required. Or, they'd miraculously be completely healthy.

Oddly enough, I never had anyone choose not to come in anyway, and not provide a doctor's note.

Company policy allowed me to ask for one at my discretion, but was required after 3 days. Same observation as made by several other posters, this was primarily to prevent wanton call-offs on Friday afternoons/Mondays.

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xwesler:

My verbal policy was: If you're sick enough to not make it in, you're sick enough to go to a doc.

(This was security, NOT food service. This particular post was sitting at a desk filing paperwork...minimal effort required).

Once in a blue moon someone would come in rather than see a doc. They'd get sick, I'd send them home, no further action required. Or, they'd miraculously be completely healthy.

Oddly enough, I never had anyone choose not to come in anyway, and not provide a doctor's note.

Company policy allowed me to ask for one at my discretion, but was required after 3 days. Same observation as made by several other posters, this was primarily to prevent wanton call-offs on Friday afternoons/Mondays.

Oh come on. Roll Eyes

If you are home puking your guts out, you’re SICK but you’re not going to the doctor each time.

That’s just silly Mickey Mouse BS right there.

Posts: 33605 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by xwesler:

Oh come on. Roll Eyes

If you are home puking your guts out, you’re SICK but you’re not going to the doctor each time.

Read my full post, you’ll see that it worked out exactly as it was intended to.

----------

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Just curious, how did this end up?

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh come on. Roll Eyes

Even if you actually wanted to get a note from the doctor (this is grade-school bullshit), if you're sick on Tuesday, how gar in advance would you have to schedule an appointment at the doctor's office to get that note? A lot of doctors are booked weeks in advance.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Oh come on. Roll Eyes

Even if you actually wanted to get a note from the doctor (this is grade-school bullshit), if you're sick on Tuesday, how gar in advance would you have to schedule an appointment at the doctor's office to get that note? A lot of doctors are booked weeks in advance.

Most walk-in clinics are within minutes.

The point of my post, that I feel PAsig missed, is that if you called me puking your guts out, I never had to lift a finger. By simply instating the policy, I cut down on "sick days" by over 60%.

Meaning: They were full of shit, and knew that I knew they were full of shit. Legitimate sick days are fine, but even then, I'd say easily 90 percent of the time, they did end up getting a note from a walk-in or ER, which I'd add to their file and send up to HR.

Now that I'm back in CT, it's a totally different scenario. One, I no longer have 18-19 year olds working for me (for the most part) so the BS being pulled with being 'sick' on weekends or Friday afternoons is almost non-existent. Plus, this state mandates employers provide 40 hours of sick time, so when they are out, I just pay out the sick time. I hemorrhage money some weeks due to this, but that's the cost of doing business sometimes. This also isn't like the site in PA - I have redundant guards here, so if someone calls out, I have coverage.

In PA, I had one guard per post. If they called out without enough notice (typically they would call out AFTER the start of their shift), so they either screwed over the person they were supposed to relieve, or someone else (often me, and I don't get OT - lots of unpleasant 80 hour weeks resulted in me swearing not to cover for guards myself anymore unless it was an emergency). Call-offs were a much, much bigger deal there, so we had to be far more mindful of which ones were legit, and which ones were the kids wanting an extra day off to go party.

----------

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Better yet, just terminate habitual offenders who are 'at will' employees.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Oh come on. Roll Eyes

Oh, you know, they'll need to go to a walk in clinic or the ER, we can't have people abusing the system now, can we? Big Grin

People who come to work sick need to be smacked.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
quote:
quote:

Oh come on. Roll Eyes

Oh, you know, they'll need to go to a walk in clinic or the ER, we can't have people abusing the system now, can we? Big Grin

People who come to work sick need to be smacked.
Yeah, great idea. Let's go to the ER, sit in the waiting area with sick people for however long it takes, then tell them "I'm just here because my dumb fucking boss says I need a note from a doctor."

I know that you were being sarcastic, Mike, I'm just expanding on your post.

I think maybe the best idea, as previously suggested in this thread, is to get the note from a Minute Clinic, or a doctor's office if you can get in without an appointment made in advance, just get the note from wherever, and present it to the employer along with the bill for the visit: "Here ya go, boss. You required the doctor visit, so you get to reimburse me for the cost."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just retired after 30 years and had to have a doctors note for each and every time calling out sick. Never had a problem with getting a note.

Posts: 633 | Location: PHILADELPHIA,PA,USA | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
While it might come across as self serving, it is not, it is about the respect I had for young men and women, who were adults....

So, bear with me...

I had nearly 80 troops under my command at one point in my USAF career.

In the USAF, (A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...) "Sick Call" was the norm. If you were not well, you went to the base hospital and signed in to "sick call", waited, were seen, and if you were "sick enough" you got put "on quarters", and then you took that paperwork to your Orderly Room/Supervision (different strokes for different folks) and then were "released to quarters", either to your barracks or housing/home (depending on your domicile).

Now, all of this took about 3 hours from the time you got up and realized you were ill, went to "Sick Call" and then to duty section and finally "home".

And after the indignity of all that shit as a young troop, I promised if I ever were in a position to do it different, I would.... (fast forward to being the one that heaps of crap on shoulder's rest....) and I informed my troops; "if you are sick enough to need time off and recognize it, being that you are tasked with the responsibility of maintaining the "sharp point of the "Force", and the burden of ensuring the safety of aircrew(s) of who are dependent upon that "spear", then you are surly able to determined if you are too fucking ill to report to duty!". so, I left it to them to contact me, and stay the fuck at home and get better.

Not a one of them ever tried to game me. Most of them offered to work extra duty to make up for their taking the day off.

And I had "words" with the folks above me and told them, "if we can trust them to work on aircraft, and be responsible for the safety of aircrew, we damned sure need to respect that they are honorable people, or we encourage them to be deceitful."

I found that when people are given the opportunity to prove their integrity, they are most unlikely to violate that trust, but they need to understand that someone truly believes in them.

To their honor, almost all of them proved themselves to be worthy of that trust.

I did nothing except see that potential and wanted to know if what I believed was possible.

Those whom I were charged with leading, taught me more about what is important, than I can ever hope to have learned any other way.

And I loathe a "nanny state" and all it's evil manipulations, as it cripples the natural desire of people to do "the right thing".

Thanks for enduring my wall of words.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JSB3:
All my employers have been 3 consecutive days calling in sick.
However, it was challenged by two employees, and HR actually had their back.
They did not call in sick, they just called in without providing a reason. Since they called in, technically it was not job abandonment, until the 5th consecutive day, per the company policy. Lol

I was going to suggest expensing the copay. I like this!

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
While it might come across as self serving, it is not, it is about the respect I had for young men and women, who were adults....

So, bear with me...

I had nearly 80 troops under my command at one point in my USAF career.

In the USAF, (A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...) "Sick Call" was the norm. If you were not well, you went to the base hospital and signed in to "sick call", waited, were seen, and if you were "sick enough" you got put "on quarters", and then you took that paperwork to your Orderly Room/Supervision (different strokes for different folks) and then were "released to quarters", either to your barracks or housing/home (depending on your domicile).

Now, all of this took about 3 hours from the time you got up and realized you were ill, went to "Sick Call" and then to duty section and finally "home".

And after the indignity of all that shit as a young troop, I promised if I ever were in a position to do it different, I would.... (fast forward to being the one that heaps of crap on shoulder's rest....) and I informed my troops; "if you are sick enough to need time off and recognize it, being that you are tasked with the responsibility of maintaining the "sharp point of the "Force", and the burden of ensuring the safety of aircrew(s) of who are dependent upon that "spear", then you are surly able to determined if you are too fucking ill to report to duty!". so, I left it to them to contact me, and stay the fuck at home and get better.

Not a one of them ever tried to game me. Most of them offered to work extra duty to make up for their taking the day off.

And I had "words" with the folks above me and told them, "if we can trust them to work on aircraft, and be responsible for the safety of aircrew, we damned sure need to respect that they are honorable people, or we encourage them to be deceitful."

I found that when people are given the opportunity to prove their integrity, they are most unlikely to violate that trust, but they need to understand that someone truly believes in them.

To their honor, almost all of them proved themselves to be worthy of that trust.

I did nothing except see that potential and wanted to know if what I believed was possible.

Those whom I were charged with leading, taught me more about what is important, than I can ever hope to have learned any other way.

And I loathe a "nanny state" and all it's evil manipulations, as it cripples the natural desire of people to do "the right thing".

Thanks for enduring my wall of words.

I don't doubt a word of what you posted, senior monkey. However, as the employer of roughly 20 folks of varying ages (of whom only one is ex military), I will say that I do not hold the same regard for the integrity of my civilian employees.

While I like all of them, many will game a system put into place as you describe. Alas, you had some of the better, more motivated young people under your command...

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I was fortunate. Everyday of my life since those days has made it abundantly clear.

It was a "perfect storm" of all things.

Funny, how years later, the truly meaningful things one has had a small part in become the most profound of our past, and we could not always see it at the time, or thought they would never end.

And I really despise people who "cannot/will not" be adults, and eve worse, those who treat all as children to be schooled and controlled.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My job requires a doctor's note after 3 consecutive sick days. This seems reasonable in theory, but ever since Obamacare decimated the insurance industry our coverage has sucked. Now, if you get the flu, you have to spend $150 out of pocket to go visit the doctor so he can tell you there's nothing he can do for you and write you a note.

I rarely get sick, but a couple of years ago I had the flu really bad for a week. I ended up spending banked comp time instead of sick time to a ovoid getting picked over by the policy. It may have made sense back in the day when people had decent insurance plans with low copays, but these days it places undue burden on the employees.

Posts: 8416 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

My job requires a doctor's note after 3 consecutive sick days . . . you have to spend $150 out of pocket to go visit the doctor so he can tell you there's nothing he can do for you and write you a note.
If the employer requires it, the employer should pay for it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים