SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    That's a new one for me - I'm racist? Really?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

That's a new one for me - I'm racist? Really? Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
I got 50 free cherry logs because a neighbor was clearing some property and the crew was going around to see if any neighbors wanted the wood. I told them I'd take as much as they'd give me.

They even dumped it in the grove right where I asked in two neat piles.

Not every person coming to your door wants to case the joint. Being prepared and vigilant is awful close to paranoid and reclusive.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be prepared and take precautions, nor that his reaction was justified, just that every person coming to your door isn't there to rip you off or scam you.

That's right, only 50% are, good luck with that.

NRA Range Safety Officer, Distinguished Expert Shotgun Pistol
Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of Gunsmithing
2 Guns short of never having enough

Posts: 5462 | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Man comes on MY property, I tell him "not interested" in a manner as to politely say "You can leave now" and he insults me?
Twice?

That man is getting punched.

But I'm kinda anti-social that way.

When you tell them nicely that you're not interested, and they don't leave or give you lip, then politeness is off the table and for good reason these days. Other things being equal of course. One time two well dressed teenage girls knocked on my door for some type of religious solicitation, I told them no thanks, and they very nicely smiled, said thank you, and walked away. It was summer so I brought out two gatorades for them, and they were glad about it because it was hot and they were in nice dresses. That was a pleasant experience. On the other hand, a man came to my doorstep at 10pm dark, tried to see me meat, I said no thanks, and he didn't leave. After that I wasn't so polite. My neighborhood is pretty decent, but once in a while we get some bad apples looking around or casing the neighborhood.

NRA Range Safety Officer, Distinguished Expert Shotgun Pistol
Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of Gunsmithing
2 Guns short of never having enough

Posts: 5462 | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Thanks, 83v45magna, for posting that clip. One of Robert Duval and Michael Caine's all-time best movies. The bar scene is one I can watch all day long.

tac

Posts: 8005 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post