SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    That's a new one for me - I'm racist? Really?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

That's a new one for me - I'm racist? Really? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
In the county I live in, the entire subdivision can be posted by placing no soliciting signs at the entrance. Even if not posted, solicitors have to have a permit. Dean

Posts: 197 | Location: Loganville, Ga. | Registered: May 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, that premium seafood won't sell itself out of the back of the truck Wink

quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
If I didn't talk to solicitors who ring my doorbell, how would I get any frozen meat? Eek

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 1803 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 225fan:
In the county I live in, the entire subdivision can be posted by placing no soliciting signs at the entrance.
Here too, in theory. Problem is, the illiterate bastages can't read the signs and the police have absolutely no interest in enforcing anything if we call them.

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 14162 | Location: Central Florida (near Orlando) | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
"You don't want what I've got to give."

I never hear a second word.

The philosophy of protectionism is a philosophy of war. - Ludwig von Mises
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DhagKyvDck

Posts: 6683 | Location: Live from the high desert and the great American southwest! | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Man comes on MY property, I tell him "not interested" in a manner as to politely say "You can leave now" and he insults me?
Twice?

That man is getting punched.

But I'm kinda anti-social that way.

I am not noted for my patience for those who decide to invade my privacy. I usually try to be polite when I tell them that I don't need what they are selling, thanks for your time, etc.

Usually works well to get rid of them.

Having said that, punching one of them would not be in my bag of tricks. Not worth getting a charge of assault and battery, which well might end up getting my CCW permit revoked.

Better solution might be to simply ask them to leave, and if they do not place a 911 call, letting them hear it.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 21193 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought some candy bars supposedly to help boy scouts or something like that, outside a supermarket. Found out a week later that the kids were just buying the bars and reselling for profit.

A guy walked into my pole barn where I was working one day. I had walked out to meet him when I heard his car pull in and he walked right by me. Said he wanted to buy my property and then made me a disgusting offer when I told him it was not for sale. I got robbed there about 3 wks later. I told police about him, they did nothing about it.

A year later same guy comes over to my house 3 miles from my property and pulls in. I go out of my garage to meet him, but again he walks by me and goes into my garage. Now, I am IRATE. He tells me that he was still interested in the property at the price we discussed. I told him to get off my property and never come back again, at either place. He left in a hurry. I called the sheriffs dept in the next county as they were interested in leads for the same type robberies as I had. I met a detective and in 3 days, they broke the theft ring. This guy was not arrested, but sold his house and moved. I think he snitched on the others.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member
BFA Member

Posts: 749 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Once a Marine,
always a Marine
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Okay so here is what ALWAYS works for me:

Whether the seller is a man or woman, I always give the same answer:

"Oh man! I'm actually pretty interested in what you are selling, but:

...my brother in law is my insurance guy, you know my wife would kill me if I tried to switch!

...my father-in-law does roofs and siding. You know my wife would kill me if I gave someone else that business

...my "whomever" does "whatever" and to keep the peace with the wife, I cannot even consider switching!"

EVERY SINGLE TIME, they thank me for being cool and totally agree that they couldn't switch services under those conditions either.

I figure no harm no foul. Most of the time it's just some kid trying to do a job. If it turns out they are dicks, they'll remember I treated them with respect and skip my house when they get "payback" to the guys who were crabby towards them.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 7706 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I answer my door.....sometimes I just have fun wiht them with crazy questions and answers.....sometimes it's someone knocking on my door for a legitement reason....

The meat and seafood aren't the real deals....you've really got to buy the Surround sound system they sell or the speakers.....those are the VERY BEST deals.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
sometimes it's someone knocking on my door for a legitement reason....

I'll take my chances on missing that. You know, like the 3 out of 100 times in the past 3 years.....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 6913 | Location: DFW Metroplex, so large and wide! | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
I have very little tolerance for door to door salesmen. I live on a main road in town so I get 2 or 3 per year. I have tried very hard to be polite as I let them know I'm not interested. If they aren't respectful enough to take my kind, "no thanks" for an answer and keep pushing then I make it very obvious that, we're all done here, and that they need to get moving. I've been pretty abrupt with a couple of them and I've upset my wife at how I've handled a couple of situations, but there is just something I absolutely can't stand about uninvited people coming on to my property to sell me something. I can't imagine being called a racist, like that OP was.
I keep telling myself I need to be more Christian like in the way I deal with some of these people, but it is hard. I can feel myself start to bristle when I see a stranger turn down my driveway. I will say this, punching them, or otherwise getting physical is not part of the game plan to get them to leave.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 500 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paragon:
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Man comes on MY property, I tell him "not interested" in a manner as to politely say "You can leave now" and he insults me?
Twice?

That man is getting punched.

But I'm kinda anti-social that way.

So, how long have you hated black people? Razz

You do have a funny bone! Razz:

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Big River Leather
Handcrafted Gun Leather and Accessories
http://www.bigriverleather.com/

Posts: 12081 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
I too recently found out I'm a racist.

I sell equipment - Bobcats, Tractorsmowers etc. I was at my desk and a fella walks in the door, pretty certain he was Somali. Started asking me questions about different options for equipment for snow removal, asking price ranges of new and used, $40K and down or so. Asked me about renting equipment so I directed him back to our rental department. It was a very civil conversation, nothing unusual.

After a few minutes my rental manager walks him back to my desk and says "he's interested in the used such and such mower we have in storage and would like to put a snowblower on it. I tell the customer that's a good deal and n that machine at $1500 but there is slim to know chance of finding s blower for it. Let me see what else I've got for you. So I ask him, like I ask everybody to help narrow my search, "What's your budget?"

He cocks his head and says "What, because I'm a black man you think I don't have any money?"

Eek

Umm, no sir, I ask everybody that so I'm not searching through 300 machines. Here, I have this used one for $15,000, should we write that one up?"

"No, that's too much."

Yeah I thought so. Pretty sure I don't have anything.

I actually was proud of myself for remaining professional throughout the remainder of the conversation but he maintained an air of entitlement throughout our interaction.

I'm now seeking counseling to suppress my racism and white privilege.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Big River Leather
Handcrafted Gun Leather and Accessories
http://www.bigriverleather.com/

Posts: 12081 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
Picture of RHINOWSO
posted Hide Post
Unless you are a delivery / service guy (and expected) or a close family friend, setting foot on our property isn't going to be an overwhelmingly enjoyable experience. White, red, yellow, black, orange - male / female / non-specific, hot - ugly - whatever, all get treated the same.

I had some guys in a nice car pull up a couple of nights ago, but at least they stopped at the Private Property / Private Drive signs, but they waited there for several minutes. I met them from about 50 feet with the hi beam of my Felix PD35 and asked what they wanted. They went on about looking for a 'friend' and I told them in firm terms that their 'friend' wasn't on my property and to go out the way they came.

The drivers tone was muted (high on weed, maybe?) and I could tell they wanted some 'help' in solving their problem, but from the 300+ lbs of combined dogs barking in the distance, 800 lumens of light, and my firm tone & short responses got the point across - i.e., don't come back. They were about 30 seconds from getting the "you are now trespassing, I'm calling the police".

read what you want
watch what you want
play what you want
think what you want
say what you want

Posts: 34108 | Location: Around | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I'm not racist, I don't buy from solicitors regardless of what color they are.

I chronicled here awhile ago my interaction with a meat salesman. All fun and games when after two times telling him I was not interested he told me that I was going to listen to him. That whole go around ended with a call to 911 as he refused to get off my porch.

A couple of years back a Wallside Window salesman was working the neighborhood. My wife told him we were not interested, along with a "No Soliciting" sign should be a suggestion. A Saturday afternoon I came home from work and opened the garage door to ride my bike in. Sidestand now down, kill ignition, turn around and the guy is standing in my garage. To my "What do you want?", he then tells me that he has talked to my wife before and while she said that she was not interested he saw me ride up and decided to ask me.

I don't think he liked me telling him to get the **** out of my garage and not to return. I'm not too warm and fuzzy to people that walk into my personal space with two bikes, collector car and a lot of tools uninvited.......

Posts: 4336 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I have SEVERAL signs on my property. All of them say no visitors, do not knock on door, go away, I will not buy anything, no soliciting, burglars will be shot and fed to the alligators, things like that. Every once in a blue moon some imbecile will knock on my door selling something.

Me - "Did you fucking fail kindergarten?
Them - "Huh?"
Me- "take a couple of seconds and read the several signs that you just walked by."
Them- "I read the signs. I didn't think they applied to me."
Me- Pissed off look, "Get off my property"

Posts: 3363 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Browndrake:
I've been pretty abrupt with a couple of them and I've upset my wife at how I've handled a couple of situations

Yeah, I'm with you. Wife thinks I should be polite to everyone. Um, no. Girls were raped, tortured and killed because they were nice and polite to Ted Bundy. Not everyone gets a cheerful, nice response, as it should be.

Posts: 3363 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Door is open for light and breeze and a 19-20 something black male wearing a polo short, slacks, name tags and carrying a clipboard comes up. Says something and I stop him short, politely "Not interested, good luck and a good afternoon." He seems a bit put off and tries to explaIn himself and what he is selling, stop him again and state "Too many scammers, I don't deal with solicitors."

I've dealt with door-to-door solicitors too many times I care to count. But, I've never said that. As far as I'm concerned, no need for it, although the thought is always in my mind. Be polite, but be firm. If they insist to continue after the first "not interested", I just continue with, "No thanks, not interested, have a good day", and shut the door.

Oh yeah, always carry, even at home.

Posts: 11198 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife bough something from one of those guys. That was her first mistake. The second mistake was using our credit card. Our next statement had $3,000 of fraudulent charges on it.

Posts: 372 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The window guys usually come around a few times a year. I tell 'em I really want their windows but I've been laid off for two years and can't find a job. When I ask if they'll get the windows installed right away and I'll start paying just as soon as I'm back to work, they can't get off my front porch fast enough.

Posts: 9 | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Wonder if you'd get in trouble dealing with them this way...?

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTaVWamH5YY

Posts: 4067 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post