SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    That's a new one for me - I'm racist? Really?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

That's a new one for me - I'm racist? Really? Login/Join 
Picture of FlyingScot
posted
Guess this is the new reality in today's world. Working in my garage, wiring a new 220v box and plug for my new car lift.

Door is open for light and breeze and a 19-20 something black male wearing a polo short, slacks, name tags and carrying a clipboard comes up. Says something and I stop him short, politely "Not interested, good luck and a good afternoon." He seems a bit put off and tries to explaIn himself and what he is selling, stop him again and state "Too many scammers, I don't deal with solicitors."

His response? No need to be racist, not all black men are scammers. I get pissed, tell him it is NOT what I said and he says "what came out of your mouth." I pause, but my tongue and tell him to get the hell off my property - now. He leaves griping but shortly I hear raised voices - he went a few doors down to my neighbor who is also a cop. I speak with him after and he went one better...asked the guy if he had a license to solicit, he did not. He was suddenly a racist too. Was he from the state - no Louisiana. He ended up calling the on duty to get a car ... not sure if they found him as beat feet pretty quick.

Lessons learned?
-always carry even when inconvenient - I'd left my pistol inside.
-usually have my dog tied up if open the garage, he likes that. Did not today, will in the future.
-don't elaborate, don't engage even if it seems rude. "Go Away" is the best even if it goes against every fiber of how you were raised
-we live in a nice neighborhood, but not gated. Have to expect this from time to time.
-don't just let someone move on to your neighbor...call the cops if you feel they are too agressive.

It only takes once being unprepared for someone to take a lifetime away from you. Good reminder for a New Year.

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used.”

Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1056 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I got 50 free cherry logs because a neighbor was clearing some property and the crew was going around to see if any neighbors wanted the wood. I told them I'd take as much as they'd give me.

They even dumped it in the grove right where I asked in two neat piles.

Not every person coming to your door wants to case the joint. Being prepared and vigilant is awful close to paranoid and reclusive.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be prepared and take precautions, nor that his reaction was justified, just that every person coming to your door isn't there to rip you off or scam you.

Posts: 5285 | Location: Rochester Hills, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
If they are carrying nothing but a clipboard and are on foot, then chances are better than not that I don't have anything to tell them.

Kids selling stuff for fundraisers, well now that is a horse of a different color. They have my sympathy since I had to do that for years...and they have sweet stuff. Usually better for my health if I don't open the door to them, but that discipline is usually found lacking.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 10737 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
I got 50 free cherry logs because a neighbor was clearing some property and the crew was going around to see if any neighbors wanted the wood. I told them I'd take as much as they'd give me.

Not every person coming to your door wants to case the joint. Being prepared and vigilant is awful close to paranoid and reclusive.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be prepared and take precautions, nor that his reaction was justified, just that every person coming to your door isn't there to rip you off or scam you.

Maybe. Right up to the point where a salesperson calls me a racist on my own property because I don't want to engage them. This guy was out of line, and got called on it twice in a row. Regardless of color, if I don't know you and you come to my garage when I'm busy and start talking to me, I'm on high alert.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 3922 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
Picture of Pale Horse
posted Hide Post
quote:

I hate door to door solicitors as much as anyone but I don't cut them off and just say "not interested" before they even get to tell me what they are there for. Even when I know I'm not interested in at least polite enough to let them finish.

And to my surprise the other day a woman with AT&T came by and though I was prepared to tell her I wasn't interested I was surprised to find out fiber was coming to my area. Turns out I was interested and while I didn't sign up for it with her since I prefer to wait until it actually rolls out I'm happy I listened to her instead of cutting her off.

Plus interrupting someone is kind of rude IMO.

Georgia Carry Member Calguns Foundation Member Second Amendment Foundation Member NRA Lifetime Member

Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets. -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 11785 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Interesting mix of reactions. Let me be clear I was polite right up until he called me a racist for telling him I wouldn't be buying anything. Walks on my property, interrupts my work, reacts angrily when I politely tell him I'm not buying...sorry but that is on him and goes to show how quickly things can go south. The fact that less than 5 minutes later he is an even angrier exchange with my neighbor?

Now, kids selling something will always get a donation or a purchase. I wish we had a neighborhood where you can open your door to strangers, but 1)I live on the water a few blocks from downtown Boca Raton 2)this is snowbird season and the peddlers and scammers have gone on an annual migration south 3)a few months ago the same cop had to restrain a guy on flakka one Sunday morning after he attacked another neighbor.

I'll err on the side of caution - if that makes me paranoid, then so be it.

Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1056 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
Interesting mix of reactions. Let me be clear I was polite right up until he called me a racist for telling him I wouldn't be buying anything. Walks on my property, interrupts my work, reacts angrily when I politely tell him I'm not buying...sorry but that is on him and goes to show how quickly things can go south. The fact that less than 5 minutes later he is an even angrier exchange with my neighbor?

Now, kids selling something will always get a donation or a purchase. I wish we had a neighborhood where you can open your door to strangers, but 1)I live on the water a few blocks from downtown Boca Raton 2)this is snowbird season and the peddlers and scammers have gone on an annual migration south 3)a few months ago the same cop had to restrain a guy on flakka one Sunday morning after he attacked another neighbor.

I'll err on the side of caution - if that makes me paranoid, then so be it.

Sorry, the OP sounded more "someone came on my property, need more security" and less "He got the drop on me and shit's been going sideways in town recently, need to make sure I stay safe."

With the way some people post you've gotta wonder if their black helicopter paranoia isn't just a bit infectious.

Posts: 5285 | Location: Rochester Hills, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man comes on MY property, I tell him "not interested" in a manner as to politely say "You can leave now" and he insults me?
Twice?

That man is getting punched.

But I'm kinda anti-social that way.

"When its time to shoot, shoot. Dont talk!"

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 4727 | Location: Just moved: Downtown Chi-Town | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
quote:
... black helicopter paranoia isn't just a bit infectious.

It isn't black helicopters. It IS aliens, but the tinfoil protects me and helps dissipate their chemtrails. Mind control you know Wink

Hunter S. Thompson

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
You can't even reason with assholes like that. How is he an asshole? Because when you just go straight to the racism card, you're an asshole. Yeah, because he doesn't want to be bothered and hear the sales pitch, he's racist?

Some people, I'm talking about the door to door idiot, are just so fucking dumb you wonder how they remember to keep breathing to stay alive.

Edmond

Posts: 7829 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
quote:
... black helicopter paranoia isn't just a bit infectious.

It isn't black helicopters. It IS aliens, but the tinfoil protects me and helps dissipate their chemtrails. Mind control you know Wink

Uh huh, I see how it is. All this hate against black stuff and aliens!

Provin' the man's point. That's what's goin' on here.

Big Grin

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 10737 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where I worked (before an ordnance was passed that regulated it and required licensing) we dealt with groups of older teens who were brought in from large cities and were ostensibly selling magazine subscriptions. The subscriptions were bogus and over priced. The main targets: senior citizens. And quite a few of the "teens" would talk their way into the house and steal cash, wallets, jewelry or whatever else they could get their hands on. The ordinance requiring licensing fixed this. The best part of this for me was often the "teen" met a nice doggy!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 4271 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Had a young man come to the door "collecting for military families." Said no, shut the door. Thought, what was wrong? No ID, no handouts, no receipt book.
Called police. A few minutes last saw a police car go by. Then two cars. Watched them as he was stopped. Then a third car. Last I saw he was being handcuffed.
Seems he and a few others were working the neighborhoods.

“The best teacher is not the one who knows most but the one who is most capable of reducing knowledge to that simple compound of the obvious and wonderful.”
― H.L. Mencken

Posts: 4174 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tom Highway
posted Hide Post
He was projecting. He's racist, and assumes all others are too.

Fuckin' bitch made attitude.

Posts: 2838 | Registered: July 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the millennial and racial indoctrination have merged.
The Snowflake Entitlement meets the "you don't like me cuz I'm black" shit.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
I do not buy anything at the door or on the phone. I interrupt their BS at the jump and say no. Guess I'm one rude bastard. Window and exteriors salesmen ring constantly after a hailstorm.

Neighborhood kids doing fundraisers will usually get a pass.

Posts: 1583 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by FlyingScot:
-don't elaborate, don't engage even if it seems rude. "Go Away" is the best even if it goes against every fiber of how you were raised.[QUOTE]
No Thanks and I close the door.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 9864 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1967Goat
posted Hide Post
If I didn't talk to solicitors who ring my doorbell, how would I get any frozen meat? Eek

Posts: 3531 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Man comes on MY property, I tell him "not interested" in a manner as to politely say "You can leave now" and he insults me?
Twice?

That man is getting punched.

But I'm kinda anti-social that way.

So, how long have you hated black people? Razz

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 11890 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Just say.. yes I am a racist. Does that get you to leave any faster?

---------------------------------
- "This town reminds me of something in the bible."
- "Which part?"
- "The part right before god gets angry"

Posts: 6278 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post