SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Please use the search function before posting a common question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please use the search function before posting a common question Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
Personally, I blame user sloth for jib-jabs.

Jib-jabs, posting CC, rifle, pistol, etc. stuff all to the Lounge.

I tend to disregard such ill-posted threads, except maybe to note "jib-jab" or ask "Did you know there's a <subject matter> forum right <here>?"

quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
There is a perfectly good search function, it's just not the built-in one...Google.

And here's how - preface your Google search with instructions telling them to limit the search to a particular site, in this case, SIGforum.

To have Google search SIGforum for 'whatever' you'd enter this in Google:
quote:
site:sigforum.com whatever

Or the other way 'round: "whatever site:sigforum.com"

Works on both Google and Duck-Duck Go. Dunno about the others.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Who ever made the karmanator is my hero.

Who made it btw?

That would be a member with the screen name Chance.

Thank you and Thank Chance for being awesome.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Use the search function set to 'date', not 'relevance'. Otherwise it may, or may not, suck. Personally, I blame user sloth for jib-jabs.

Choosing "Advanced Search", then "Date", is the key. Leaving it as the default criteria set to "Relevance" usually yields garbage. No forum software criticism intended, just an offer on how to improve your search results here. None of them are perfect, and all have their quirks.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
That's it! I'm starting a Glock thread.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10894 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Personally, I blame user sloth for jib-jabs.

Jib-jabs, posting CC, rifle, pistol, etc. stuff all to the Lounge.

I tend to disregard such ill-posted threads, except maybe to note "jib-jab" or ask "Did you know there's a <subject matter> forum right <here>?"

quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
There is a perfectly good search function, it's just not the built-in one...Google.

And here's how - preface your Google search with instructions telling them to limit the search to a particular site, in this case, SIGforum.

To have Google search SIGforum for 'whatever' you'd enter this in Google:
quote:
site:sigforum.com whatever

Or the other way 'round: "whatever site:sigforum.com"

Works on both Google and Duck-Duck Go. Dunno about the others.

Did not know this. You done learnt me sump'm.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll have to start doing this..did an (admittedly quick) scan of the first page, did a search for a couple different terms...

And still managed to jib-jab a New Years Resolutions thread. FML Mad

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Who made it btw?

Glad you like the site. Smile

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
In the sage words of our very own freyedends...

quote:
In any case recommending the Sigforum Search function is kind of cruel Tator

I actually like it when common issues repeat themselves. Duel threads, no, but the moderators usually lock the new one anyway.
To quote the rest of the discussion from the last time this came up,
quote:
I'm going to go against the grain here for three reasons and they all boil down to emphasizing the Sigforum "quality discussion" slogan:
1. the response in a thread of "what is a [insert item]?" took longer to type into Sigforum than Google and requires somebody to type back. You're obviously connected to the Internet if you're here, and nobody has to type to give you a response if you Google it. Heck, my browser only requires me to double click on a word / acronym and a menu pops up with the option to search (e.g. jbcummings' acronym RTFM in this thread).
2. people aren't using the search function on Sigforum. Just the other day, we had the weekly or bi-weekly security camera thread and the OP got all pissy when it was pointed out he didn't even bother to educate himself with the Sigforum search to be able to ask an intelligent question.
3. the same OP who has started the 100th exact same thread topic and every time the answers are from the same 2 websites. Why waste member's time going to those 2 websites and posting articles when you could go there yourself? If something there doesn't make sense, then post a non-basic thread and have a thread that lives up to the Sigforum "quality discussion" slogan.

I would have 26,000 posts here if I didn't use the search function or Google.

I'm well aware of the standing, long-term search function joke, but it actually works. IMO, the quality of discussion has decreased recently and a lot of it is tied to the lack of using Sigforum search. For example, the world of zero turn mowers doesn't rapidly change like computers so searching past threads for zero turn mowers will likely yield the desired answer. At the very least, reading past threads will lead to having a higher quality discussion in a new thread.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23203 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chance:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Who made it btw?

Glad you like the site. Smile

It is awesome indeed, as is the youtube it feature. Smile

Any possibility of adding a sideways search feature? By that I mean, could you put in a box where someone could put in terms to search SIGforum for, and the site would send it to Google with the appropriate site limitation. Sort of a friendly 'let me Google that for you,' but limited to just search SIGforum.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post