SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    ARMSLIST
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ARMSLIST Login/Join 
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted
I used to enjoy perusing the local to me ARMSLIST listings in search of deals. Lately it is just full of overpriced vendor/LGS listings. Goodbye ARMSLIST!

Posts: 1921 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Few times I've looked at it, it's always seemed like a bunch of scams.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's hit or miss. Signal to noise rato is very high, but I have made some very good deals on Armslist over the past year or so. I'd never waste my time with anything that wasn't a local FTF deal.

Posts: 2480 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
You can filter the Armslist listings to exclude vendor listings.

In the upper right part of the main result listing page, there are some green/red buttons that read "Vendors that Ship", "Premium Vendor" and "Private Party".

If you turn both of the "Vendor" selections off, you'll only see Private Party results. (Although there will still be the occasional LGS listings included, for those that haven't signed up as vendors yet and are still classified in the Armslist database as a "private party".)

Yes, there's a lot of overpriced crap. And there are also plenty of potential scams. But if you're patient and careful, there are also good deals out there.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
Few times I've looked at it, it's always seemed like a bunch of scams.

I've sold 3 times on GB and 2 of them ended up in copy/paste scams on Armslist. The site is full of garbage.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hell, I just sold a mosin and a couple tins of ammo for 700 on there so it's not all bad. Did take a while though

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
I don't buy on Armslist, but I have sold there a few times with good results.
As a private seller, I post good pics and full disclosure with terms within my text. I do face to face transactions only and I've had no problems.
I have learned to be sure to firmly agree on the final price before I meet the buyer to avoid the "would you take a little less" BS.

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 782 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyD:
As a private seller, I post good pics and full disclosure with terms within my text. I do face to face transactions only and I've had no problems.
I have learned to be sure to firmly agree on the final price before I meet the buyer to avoid the "would you take a little less" BS.

This. I have bought/sold a wide variety of stuff on Armslist. You've got to treat it like Craigs List.

Posts: 1892 | Location: KY | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
Bought and sold on Armslist. For the most part it is a simple easy process. I ran into the issue once of the "buyer" being 17, so no deal. And once I was a "no show buyer". The seller wanted to make a last minute meeting place change from the county to somewhere in downtown Saint Louis due to work, or something like that. I did not feel comfortable with that so I no showed.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yes one has to sift through the chaff, which is plentiful, no reason to write it off though.

We just bought a 1938 Swiss K31 on Armslist. All serial numbers match, shoots great, price was reasonable.

Of course one has to take precautions, nothing long distance. I have sold a few parts requiring shipping. I let the $$ clear 1st.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyD:

Same here although I had one guy show up $20 short of the price we agreed upon. I just left with the pistol still in my possession.
That was the only time and all the others have been fine. Public place and most times I can find a gun shop I know near the person and meet there. No one really raises their eyebrows seeing a pistol or rifle in that kind of parking lot.
Price is agreed upon and I've been lucky that everyone has had a current DL and concealed carry license.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bayouman
posted Hide Post
Be cautious about meeting buyers from this site. In the New Orleans area we have had some attempted thefts when seller shows at the meeting place. Today it happened again but the seller was armed and when the thief pulled a gun the seller drew his own and gunfight took place inside and outside the car.

Thief is DOA at the site. LEO's are calling it justified homicide, no charges against the good guy.

Bayouman
Never let the enemy pick the battle site.

Posts: 727 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana  | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post