SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    How does one afford dental treatment?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How does one afford dental treatment? Login/Join 
posted
Get a crown(root canal and crown $1800) and another tooth goes bad a week later.

Posts: 547 | Location: Dothan, Alabama | Registered: August 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is expensive. Dental insurance helps. Life without teeth is not fun.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Two root canals, then both failed within a year. Both had to be pulled. Shitty dental work, my new dentist said. I believe it.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
6 grand work last year and the cost is still mounting.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16334 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
Two root canals, then both failed within a year. Both had to be pulled. Shitty dental work, my new dentist said. I believe it.

Yep. I had a root canal 13 years ago and it is still solid.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3964 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I get it.

I have a good friend who has been a dental tourist to Central America twice. I'll see if I can dig up the scary pix from his first visit. Went for ~6 caps and got, well, 32?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12411 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I had really bad timing when I needed a root canal and crown. I waited until January to get my toothache checked. I had a cracked tooth. Insurance max was $2000 per year. It cost almost 4K by the time I was done. If I went in December I'd have had most of it covered by doing root canal in December and crown in January. But I can't imagine not having the dental coverage. That would suck. I'd just get them pulled at that point.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
5 years ago I got one for 450. Last week I had a it replaced because it was done poorly. The replacement was 2200. Apparently the 450 was no bargain.

We I was younger, I found a dentist who was just starting out and made a deal with him. I paid him 2k a year for all routine dental work for myself, wife and 2 kids. We did that for 7 or 8 years. Worth a try.

Younger dentists are less experienced, but often have the latest tools and techniques.

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Add me in.

Daughter goes for braces evaluation next week.

It is badly needed. But Ca-ching.

My dental insurance costs $1,300 a year. Not awful, and it gets us 3 cleanings each a year (4 total family on it). So roughly $100 each per cleaning. Caps are kinda low, in my opinion, and I think it's 50/50 split until the deductible. Not awful...not great.

$2k worth of coverage for braces per kid per lifetime though. Hopefully the hoops aren't too difficult to jump through. We'll see.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I agree with you elmer. I had to get a crown (my first) in December and it was almost $600 out of pocket for me. What's the point of having insurance if you have to pay so much out of pocket? Mad And...I've been told I need a 2nd crown on the other side Frown

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
See if you dentist works with DentalPlans.com. Ours does, and it's saved us a ton o' money. It's not insurance, per se, but more a kind of a discount program.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Insurance, savings and with the children ensuring they take care of their teeth.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was blessed for almost 70 years with teeth that rarely needed anything. I had, IIRC 4 fillings and I broke one and ahd to get a crown. Insurance just didn't pay off for me as my only dental expense, really, were the cleanings twice a year.

Fast forward to Spring, 2015 and my diagnosis with head and neck cancer, so chemo and 35 radiation treatments. Again, I was blessed that apparently it is gone BUT it did a number on my teeth and my dentist ells me that's not only normal, but will continue for he remainder of my life.

Now I have a couple of cavities a year, have had three crowns and get the cleanings every two months (that two months is my idea, just to try to stay ahead of the stuff). I have one tooth the dentist says she cannot save and it's just a matter of time till it's gotta come out.

Problem is-I love my dentist and hygienist. They take insurance, but the patient pays the rest. So, if they charge $200 for some procedure and insurance pays $75 bucks, the patient owes another $125.

On top of the cost of the procedures, the insurance and its premiums don't make sense for me.

I could find another dentist who accepts whatever the insurance company pays plus a deductible, but my dentist is sweet, pretty and, most importantly, pain-free. However, like most really nice things, she's a bit expensive.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I never could grasp why our health insurances don't cover teeth and eyes. It's shitty that they split that up.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the four people that I saw at the dentist office last week ,all had dental insurance.

I was told that at the age of 62, dental ins. would not end up helping me ,

I was told that dental Ins. is for couple with kids , and it helps them out a bunch .

when I have the extra cash , I put what I can in too an envelope marked "Dentist"

It's been 4 years since I have had to collect from it , ( $1,600.00 in there)

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54622 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
My dad saved a bunch on dental care. After a certain age he got dentures. Never saw a dentist again.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Dentures are not even close to a replacement for teeth. I do not know many people that are happy with their dentures. Ask Pelosi and Biden.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm lucky. My teeth are really good (minus a couple of gaps) only ever had one cavity. That one cavity filing has broken twice though and needed to be refilled. That is the extent of my dental work over my lifetime. Dentist always wants to take my wisdom teeth, but I always ask the same question, are they causing any problems now? No. OK leave them for now. I also get a 15% discount every time since my dentist is my cousin. I get three teeth cleanings per year, bite wings every year, panoramic every 2-3 years. I think it adds up to about $500 per year average. Use my Health Savings Account to pay for it so I don't feel any pain from the wallet when I go in.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel ya Elmer. It's expensive as Hell.
Had a tooth knocked out last year in a fight. I went to the dentist and he gave me a quote for an implant. Holy Shit!
Nope. So I'm missing a tooth. No way I'm giving a few thousand dollars for that.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Genetics really kicked me in the teeth, eyes, and nose:
  • teeth - Dad has nearly perfect teeth and Mom had fillings, crowns, and root canals. I had a bunch of cavities from my childhood on adult teeth, and a couple have cracked needing crowns. Last year, the root died under a crown and had to have a root canal through the crown.
  • eyes - Dad didn't need glasses until his 60s, but Mom got her first pair in her teens and bifocals in early 40s. I got my first pair in my teens and bifocals in my early 40s.
  • allergies - Mom had virtually none and Dad is allergic to dozens of things so he had allergy shots in his 40s. I'm allergic to dozens of things and about to start allergy shots.
  • nose - Mom's was normal in every way and Dad's is the family trademark appearance wise and had to have deviated septum surgery. Mine has the family trademark appearance and had to have deviated septum surgery in my 30s.

About the only thing I got lucky on was both of my parents had 2 wisdom teeth, my brother had 4 wisdom teeth, and I had zero wisdom teeth.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23242 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post