SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Is Comcast stupid, lazy or both?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Comcast stupid, lazy or both? Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted
Friday, just as I finished mowing the lawn a municipal truck pulls up and starts marking out the roadway for water/sewer lines. I know my connections and realize the sewer line mark out is about 15' off. I realize it is not the regular guy that does the mark outs so I tell him where my sewer is. He thanks me and I ask what is getting dug up? Nothing, neighbor across the street is getting Comcast and getting rid of Dish. All our utilities are overhead with the exception of water/sewer, and natural gas. Phone lines, cable and electric are overhead. Waste of manpower and money. Comcast knows where the utilities are, just too lazy to look it up.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Phone lines, cable and electric are overhead. Waste of manpower and money. Comcast knows where the utilities are, just too lazy to look it up.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Probably a requirement of some sort. Minimal waste of time considering the cost of cutting a utility line. Surprsingly, even with marking utilites the guys still manage to damage something.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is Comcast stupid, lazy or both?
Yes.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30633 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
You forgot incompetent

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23194 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Comcast is incompetent.

I know here in Maryland before you dig you need to call miss utility. They will contact every one and have them mark the lines. The utilities have to respond. This may be the case here.

I know here they take all your info so everything can be tracked if something goes bad. Miss Utility will set up an account and you can track who has been out and marked their lines. Companies can just check there is no conflict without coming out. This is because on a map you need to show the area where you will be digging.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16387 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Yes.

Beat me to it.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Comcast is incompetent.

I know here in Maryland before you dig you need to call miss utility. They will contact every one and have them mark the lines. The utilities have to respond. This may be the case here.

I know here they take all your info so everything can be tracked if something goes bad. Miss Utility will set up an account and you can track who has been out and marked their lines. Companies can just check there is no conflict without coming out. This is because on a map you need to show the area where you will be digging.
811 is the law in all 50 states.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23194 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I submit that if we all came together as one embracing our common hatred of Comcast we would be well on our way to world peace.

And YES to your question.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7668 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Fuck comcast, I will go without if they become the only option

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I can not tell you how many times in my career that I have called in mark outs. The mark out number you call (811) will tell you the companies they will get in touch with and the ticket number. Mark outs are for digs in all 50 states as tartortodd has stated. No digging involved here. Beside that, Comcast called in a curb to curb mark out that runs the entire block. Why? I guess that is rhetorical as every on this post already knows how bad Comcast is.
When our utility received a mark out, if there were no utilities in that location, the ticket we were faxed had a space for remarks. In red ink we put no utilities in this area and it was properly filed. Every year we has to fill out a form that asked if any of our services were hit in a dig, how much our expense was to fix.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To answer your question, Comcast is all four!

Posts: 1193 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
You should probably add dishonest, too.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16508 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Today the natural gas mark out guy came and did his mark out. He couldn't find my service. I gave him a hint, I told him to look at my meter, walk a straight line to the curb and look for the yellow medallion that says natural gas on it. He walked away with doing the mark out.

Living the Dream

Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
All of the above and malicious. IME

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Fuck comcast, I will go without if they become the only option

Don’t live in my area... pretty much only choose unless one wants spotty service.

Posts: 106 | Registered: September 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:

Is it between 8 and 11 somewhere?

Posts: 10899 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
...snip... Nothing, neighbor across the street is getting Comcast and getting rid of Dish. ...snip...

You might be neighbors. Smile

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I am stuck with Comcast. The only other option is Dish and it is not as good. A Comcast contractor did mole the block that intersects ours and is underground, but also marked out our entire block which is not.

Living the Dream

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Yes.

Absolutely.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If we want broadband service, we must pay the cable company. There are no competitors. They can raise their prices at will and your choice is to do without or pay them. Oh, and service may be down without notice for several days and there's nothing you can do about it. If you work remotely and require phone and internet service to work, that can be an issue.

A few cities provide broadband service as they provide water or electricity. In those cases, you have someone local to contact if service goes down. Prices tend to be better as well.

If state and federal legislature would classify broadband as a utility like water or electricity that must be provided, things may improve.

Posts: 2360 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post